Ten bookish questions

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone!!
I feel like there was something like this before but that was quite a while ago now!

Anyway, here are some bookish questions for anyone who likes reading!

1. What are your top five favourite books?

2. Who are you favourite authors?

3. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you enjoy classic literature?

4. What are your favourite genres?

5. What are your favourite and least favourite books you’ve read so far this year? (Skip if you haven’t read this year ofc)

6. Who are your favourite book characters?

7. What are some books on your to be read list?

8. Your favourite book to TV/movie adaptation?

9. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you track your reading in any way? (On Goodreads, listography, in a notepad etc)

Of course, feel free to skip over any you don’t want to answer!

[name_f]My[/name_f] answers if you're interested!

At the moment, I’d say Wuthering Heights by [name_f]Emily[/name_f] [name_f]Brontë[/name_f], [name_f]Villette[/name_f] by [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Brontë[/name_f], Frankenstein by [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_u]Shelley[/name_u], Great Expectations by [name_u]Charles[/name_u] Dickens and Of Mice and Men by [name_u]John[/name_u] Steinbeck

1. Who are you favourite authors?

All three [name_f]Brontë[/name_f] sisters, [name_f]Emma[/name_f] Donoghue, [name_u]Ali[/name_u] [name_m]Smith[/name_m], [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] Waters

1. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you enjoy classic literature?

Yes!! I especially like Victorian classics!!

1. What are your favourite genres?

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite genres are historical fiction, realism, and LGBTQ+ fiction.

1. What are your favourite and least favourite books you’ve read so far this year? (Skip if you haven’t read this year ofc)

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite books I’ve read this year include [name_f]Pet[/name_f] by Akwaeke Emezi, The Vanishing Half by [name_u]Brit[/name_u] [name_u]Bennett[/name_u], Armadale by [name_m]Wilkie[/name_m] [name_u]Collins[/name_u], [name_f]Rainbow[/name_f] Milk by [name_m]Paul[/name_m] Mendez, A Song for [name_u]Issy[/name_u] [name_u]Bradley[/name_u] by [name_f]Carys[/name_f] [name_u]Bray[/name_u] and The House in the [name_u]Cerulean[/name_u] [name_u]Sea[/name_u] by TJ Klune

[name_f]My[/name_f] least favourite was Grand Union by [name_f]Zadie[/name_f] [name_m]Smith[/name_m] -I usually like her work but this collection did nothing for me

1. Who are your favourite book characters?

[name_f]Ginevra[/name_f] Fanshawe and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] Snowe from [name_f]Villette[/name_f], Slim from Of Mice and Men, [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] [name_m]Linton[/name_m] from Wuthering Heights and [name_u]Henry[/name_u] Clerval from Frankenstein!

1. What are some books on your to be read list?

The Prophets by [name_u]Robert[/name_u] [name_m]Jones[/name_m] [name_m]Jr[/name_m] has been on my tbr list for a while. I also want to read the Half Sisters by [name_f]Geraldine[/name_f] Jewsbury

1. Your favourite book to TV/movie adaptation?

The 1992 and 1939 Of Mice and Men movies! I also liked Normal People!

1. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you track your reading in any way? (On Goodreads, listography, in a notepad etc)

I use both goodreads and listography!

I look forward to reading your answers!!

5 Likes
  1. Off the top of my head (the last 2 being childhood favorites that I still enjoy)
    [name_f]My[/name_f] Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She’s Sorry by [name_m]Fredrik[/name_m] Backman
    A Tree Grows in [name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u] by [name_f]Betty[/name_f] [name_m]Smith[/name_m]
    As I [name_m]Lay[/name_m] Dying by [name_u]William[/name_u] [name_m]Faulkner[/name_m]
    — the [name_u]Percy[/name_u] [name_u]Jackson[/name_u] books from the main 2 series (counting them as 1, hope that’s alright!)
    — the [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] books (also going to group them together)

2. [name_m]Fredrik[/name_m] Backman, [name_m]Rick[/name_m] [name_m]Riordan[/name_m]

3. I guess so? I have to admit I don’t read much classic literature currently, but there are plenty of classics I have read and enjoyed.

4. YA, fantasy, historical fiction, and realistic fiction

5. [name_m]Favorite[/name_m] is either the The Book Thief or The Ivies, and I don’t think I have a recent least favorite!

6. [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] from [name_f]My[/name_f] Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She’s Sorry and [name_f]Annabeth[/name_f] [name_u]Chase[/name_u] from the [name_u]Percy[/name_u] [name_u]Jackson[/name_u] books

7. Their Eyes Were Watching God and Bad Girls Never [name_m]Say[/name_m] Die

8. Probably the [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] series or the first Hunger Games

9. In [name_u]January[/name_u] 2021 I started a note in my phone’s notes app and was going to keep track of every book I read this year (excluding rereading). Unfortunately I stopped keeping track pretty quickly :woman_facepalming: I’d like to try keeping track again

2 Likes

A Piece of Cake by Cupcake [name_m]Brown[/name_m], The Hiding Place by [name_u]Corrie[/name_u] ten Boom, [name_f]Anna[/name_f] Karenina by Tolstoy and The Railway Children by [name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_m]Nesbit[/name_m]. (An eclectic mix!) These are the first that come to mind. If we were only talking fiction, I’d include a [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u] or two!

[name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u], [name_u]Leo[/name_u] Tolstoy, [name_u]George[/name_u] Eliot/Mary [name_f]Ann[/name_f] [name_m]Evans[/name_m], [name_f]Lianne[/name_f] Moriarty, [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_u]Walker[/name_u], [name_f]Jeanette[/name_f] Winterson, [name_f]Sapphire[/name_f], [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_m]Donaghue[/name_m], [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] [name_u]Perry[/name_u], [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] [name_m]Gregory[/name_m].

Yes! Very much so.

Autobiography, historical fiction, non-fiction psychological case studies and sociological field studies (been reading a lot about cults, lately!) classic especially female-centric literature, mostly modern poetry, magical realism…and I’ve probably forgotten others!

Favourites ~ [name_u]Pine[/name_u] by [name_f]Francine[/name_f] Toon.
[name_f]Nine[/name_f] [name_u]Perfect[/name_u] Strangers by [name_f]Liane[/name_f] Moriarty.
Melmoth by [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] [name_u]Perry[/name_u].
Least favourites ~ Murder on the Orient Express by [name_f]Agatha[/name_f] [name_u]Christie[/name_u]. It was OK but really not a genre I like enough to read another!
The Forgetting Time by [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] Guskin.

1 Like

Ooh, I love this idea!

1. Hard question but I think I’d have to choose:
    “The [name_m]Five[/name_m] People You Meet in Heaven” by [name_m]Mitch[/name_m] Albom
    “In the Unlikely Event” by [name_f]Judy[/name_f] [name_f]Blume[/name_f]
    “Great Expectations” by [name_u]Charles[/name_u] Dickens
    “Home Place” by [name_f]Crescent[/name_f] Dragonwagon
    “So B. It” by [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] Weeks

2. [name_m]Mitch[/name_m] Albom has such a way of making a story last with you, so he quickly became one of my favorites. I started reading books by [name_m]Fredrick[/name_m] Backman this year and like them. [name_f]Kathryn[/name_f] Lasky is another favorite.

3. Not really, truth be told. Some I like but I don’t tend to like many of them. The story has to grip me, teach me something, or at least be entertaining. The “classic” books tend to bore me because who talks like that anymore? The cultural references tend to go over my head unless I look more into them. I don’t think the books should be lost to time but I also resent the fact that our (American) curriculum forces you to read them.

4. I LOVE autobiographies and biographies. Historical fiction. Some YA, as long as it isn’t dystopian. I’ve been reading to my son since he was a tiny baby and that’s helped me love a number of kid books, too.

5. Favorites:
    [name_u]Marley[/name_u] & Me by [name_m]Josh[/name_m] Grogan
    The War in Sallie’s Station by [name_f]Mignon[/name_f] F. [name_u]Ballard[/name_u]
    Orfeia by [name_f]Joanne[/name_f] M. [name_m]Harris[/name_m]
    Meant to Be by [name_u]Walter[/name_u] [name_u]Anderson[/name_u]

Least:
The Fall of [name_m]Troy[/name_m] by [name_m]Peter[/name_m] Ackroyd
The Virgin [name_u]Blue[/name_u] by [name_u]Tracy[/name_u] [name_m]Chevalier[/name_m]
The Gracekeepers by [name_f]Kristy[/name_f] [name_u]Logan[/name_u]

1. Ove (A [name_u]Man[/name_u] Called Ove)…he’s the scraggly love him/hate him guy that I begrudgingly came to like.
    [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] (Harry [name_m]Potter[/name_m] series)…”basic” answer but it meant a lot to me to see a girl like her in a book during my growing-up years

“All Manner of Things” by [name_f]Susie[/name_f] Finkbeiner
“King Leopold’s Ghost” by [name_m]Adam[/name_m] Hochschild
“Still Alice” by [name_u]Lisa[/name_u] Genova

1. Hmm…maybe Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants? Also [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m], for the most part.

2. I started using Goodreads this year, mainly just to keep track, not to post ratings on. If I really love a book, I will try to buy it and that’s how I know what I like lol

3 Likes

What a great idea :slight_smile:

1. Top [name_m]Five[/name_m] Faves

This is hard because I love books so much! But on the all-times favourites list I would put:
[name_u]North[/name_u] by [name_f]Edith[/name_f] Pattou
Chronicles of Prydain by [name_m]Lloyd[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], specifically the fourth book [name_u]Taran[/name_u] [name_u]Wanderer[/name_u]
Wolfsong and really the entire [name_u]Green[/name_u] [name_u]Creek[/name_u] series by T.J. Klune
Killswitch by [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_u]Douglas[/name_u]
The Winternight trilogy by [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] [name_u]Arden[/name_u]
(I realize some of these are series, but I always count a really good interconnected series as one book when considering “favourites”

2. Fave Authors

The top ones I always know I’ll be able to read a good book from:
[name_f]Sarah[/name_f] J [name_m]Maas[/name_m]
[name_f]Milla[/name_f] [name_m]Vane[/name_m]
[name_f]Francine[/name_f] [name_u]Rivers[/name_u]
[name_f]Katee[/name_f] [name_u]Robert[/name_u]
[name_u]Courtney[/name_u] [name_u]Milan[/name_u]
(Also special mention for [name_f]Serena[/name_f] Akeroyd’s books that are not MC related)

3. Classics

I’ve read a lot of classics but I can’t say I’m really a fan. I studied [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] in high school and college and I love old plays and poetry and epics, but as far as novels go im not the biggest true fan. Some of them were good for what they were and the time they were written, but most of them have too much poetic, flowery writing to wade through and I don’t really find them enjoyable from a readers standpoint. As a writer myself I can appreciate them, but I prefer more moder literature to pleasure read.

4. Genres

I used to be a really eclectic reader, but the last few years or so I find myself mainly ready things under the romance umbrella. [name_f]Fantasy[/name_f], contemporary, dark, erotic, sci-fi, ect… I don’t tend to discriminate as long as there is a HEA. I read these days for escapism and if it doesn’t end “happily” I can’t really stomach it. I do also really enjoy YA fantasy or fantasy leaning books still, specifically those in the fantastical realism vein like Anna-Marie McLemore, Mythology inspired like from [name_m]Rick[/name_m] [name_m]Riordan[/name_m] or his publishing house, or older feeling fairytale like [name_u]Robin[/name_u] McKinley and those of that kind.

5. Faves/Least Faves 2021

I’ll do a top five of each, as I’ve read more than 100 books so far this year (and I’ll leave out rereads to make it easier on myself :sweat_smile: ):

Top:
Craving Flight by Tamsen [name_u]Parker[/name_u]
[name_u]Love[/name_u] and War by Shirrá [name_u]Lynn[/name_u]
Witches Get Stitches and Don’t Hex and Drive by [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] [name_u]Cross[/name_u]
A [name_m]Court[/name_m] of [name_u]Silver[/name_u] Flames by [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] J [name_m]Maas[/name_m]
Filthy by [name_f]Serena[/name_f] Akeroyd and the rest of the released [name_m]Five[/name_m] Points related books

Bottom:
[name_f]Every[/name_f] [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] [name_u]Wilde[/name_u] book I read this year, namely her mythology “retellings”
[name_f]My[/name_f] Kind of Monster by [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] [name_m]Roman[/name_m]
Run [name_f]Posy[/name_f] Run by [name_f]Cate[/name_f] C. [name_m]Wells[/name_m] (this and the next two weren’t 1 star like the two previous mentions, they were just disappointing reads and didn’t meet up to my expectations)
Feral [name_m]King[/name_m] duology by [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] [name_u]Beckett[/name_u]
[name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] by [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] [name_u]Saint[/name_u]

6. Fave Characters

[name_u]Nesta[/name_u] Archeron from A [name_m]Court[/name_m] of Thorns and Roses series
[name_u]Taran[/name_u] [name_u]Wanderer[/name_u] from Chronicles of Prydain
[name_u]Percy[/name_u] [name_u]Jackson[/name_u] & [name_f]Annabeth[/name_f] [name_u]Chase[/name_u] from [name_m]Rick[/name_m] Riordan’s Universe
[name_u]Robert[/name_u] [name_m]Alan[/name_m] [name_m]Greydon[/name_m] Blaisdell from [name_u]Courtney[/name_u] Milan’s Brothers Sinister series
Yvenne from [name_f]Milla[/name_f] Vane’s A Gathering of Dragons series

7. TBR

Most books on my pressing TBR list include poetry anthologies that I’ll leave out for clarities sake (there are a whole lot of those sitting in a pile beside me and the idea is stressing :sweat_smile: )
[name_f]Julia[/name_f] Quinn’s Bridgerton books - I’ve read parts of these over the years, but my mom is currently reading them for the first time and I’m going to try to read them with her/finish before the next season of the show comes out so we can read them together
[name_u]Swan[/name_u] [name_u]Lake[/name_u] by L.B. [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
Last [name_u]Light[/name_u] by [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_m]Kent[/name_m]
Queens of Themiscyra by [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] [name_u]Lynn[/name_u]
[name_f]Esther[/name_f] by [name_f]Katheryn[/name_f] [name_f]Moon[/name_f]

8. Book to Screen Adaption

I’m going to have to go with the Hobbit and [name_m]Lord[/name_m] of the Rings movies as none others have every really impressed me. I’m much more of a reader than a TV/Movie viewer anyway. I do have to give an honorable mention to The Last Sin Eater by [name_f]Francine[/name_f] [name_u]Rivers[/name_u] as I also really enjoy that film.

9. [name_m]Reading[/name_m] Tracking

I mostly use Goodreads, but I also try to journal my books, i.e. a one-page spread on general thought, main characters, likes and dislikes, ect. as it helps me keep track of what I’m enjoying and what I’m not so I can make more informed reading decisions as I move forward.

2 Likes

What are your top five favourite books?
This is really hard to answer. I’d maybe have to say The Great [name_m]Gatsby[/name_m], The [name_f]Heart[/name_f] is a Lonely [name_u]Hunter[/name_u], and the [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] series (I group them all together but technically Order of the [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] is my favorite) are my top 3 but I’m struggling to decide on another 2. I like a lot of thriller novels but it’s so hard to rank them.

Who are you favourite authors?
I like a lot of books by [name_f]Minka[/name_f] [name_m]Kent[/name_m] but I’m not sure if I’d necessarily say she’s my favorite author. I also like [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Green[/name_u].

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you enjoy classic literature?
I do sometimes! It depends on the mood I’m in honestly.

What are your favourite genres?
Thriller, or YA

What are your favourite and least favourite books you’ve read so far this year? (Skip if you haven’t read this year ofc)
Favorites this year: The [name_f]Heart[/name_f] is a Lonely [name_u]Hunter[/name_u], Project Hail [name_f]Mary[/name_f], One of Us is Lying, Call me by Your Name
Least favorite this year: The Other [name_f]Emily[/name_f] by [name_u]Dean[/name_u] Koontz

Who are your favourite book characters?
Maybe kind of basic answers but [name_m]Draco[/name_m] from [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] and [name_u]Miles[/name_u] from Looking for [name_f]Alaska[/name_f] are the first two that came to mind

What are some books on your to be read list?
I actually have a scratch off poster of “100 essential novels” that I’ve been slowly trying to get through, so everything on that list. Outside of that list though I’ve been meaning to read The Book Thief, The Dinner List, Dear [name_m]Martin[/name_m], and a bunch of sequels to books I’ve read but never got around to the sequel.

Your favourite book to TV/movie adaptation?
This might seem like a weird answer but honestly my #1 favorite might have to be Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. It was my favorite book as a kid and I saw the movie like 4 times in the theater when it came out. Runner up would be Room. I also thought they did a really good job with the Looking for [name_f]Alaska[/name_f] series, I was a big fan of the Divergent series, and I love [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m] DiCaprio’s Great [name_m]Gatsby[/name_m].

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you track your reading in any way? (On Goodreads, listography, in a notepad etc)
I keep a list in a Google [name_m]Doc[/name_m], plus I have my scratch off poster prominently displayed in my living room

2 Likes
  1. [name_u]Anne[/name_u] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables, A Tale of Two Cities, [name_f]My[/name_f] [name_u]Antonia[/name_u], Persuasion, and Death Comes for the Archbishop
  2. [name_f]Willa[/name_f] [name_f]Cather[/name_f] is my absolute favorite! Also like Dickens, [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u], and [name_f]Betty[/name_f] [name_m]Smith[/name_m]
  3. Yes, love it!
  4. Historical fiction, realistic fiction, fantasy
  5. [name_m]Favorite[/name_m] I’ve read this year was definitely Tale of Two Cities! Least favorite was God-Emperor of [name_u]Dune[/name_u]
  6. Ms. Mowcher from [name_u]David[/name_u] Copperfield, [name_u]Sydney[/name_u] from A Tale of Two Cities, and [name_f]Leto[/name_f] from [name_u]Dune[/name_u]
  7. I’ve been meaning to get into the [name_m]Lord[/name_m] of the Rings! I read the hobbit a long time ago but haven’t read the others.
  8. The 1995 Pride and Prejudice miniseries, and the most recent [name_u]David[/name_u] Copperfield movie!
  9. Yes but not super consistently :grimacing:
2 Likes

I’m going to go with the three books I’m going to get quotes tattooed from: The Outsiders, Station [name_u]Eleven[/name_u], [name_f]Alice[/name_f] in Wonderland. The other two slots change all the time but I feel like I have to mention the [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] and [name_m]Roald[/name_m] Dahl books’ major impact on my life, even if I’m not necessarily a fan of certain authorship.

1. Who are your favourite authors?

In no particular order: [name_u]William[/name_u] [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m], [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_u]Wilde[/name_u], [name_m]Edgar[/name_m] [name_m]Allan[/name_m] [name_u]Poe[/name_u], [name_u]Michael[/name_u] [name_u]Connelly[/name_u], [name_f]Agatha[/name_f] [name_u]Christie[/name_u], and [name_m]Roald[/name_m] Dahl.

1. Do you enjoy classic literature?

Yes, but it really depends on the particular “classic.” There are some I absolutely love and some I can’t stand. Also I feel like classics change all the time!

1. What are your favourite genres?

[name_f]Mystery[/name_f] and thriller books. I also enjoy YA fiction, LGBT fiction, comedy, dystopia, and the occasional nonfiction book about topics I’m interested in.

1. What are your favourite and least favourite books you’ve read so far this year? (Skip if you haven’t read this year ofc)

[name_m]Favorite[/name_m]: either The Postmortal, The Picture of [name_u]Dorian[/name_u] [name_u]Gray[/name_u] (Oscar Wilde), or [name_m]Hamnet[/name_m] (Maggie O’Farrell).

Least favorite: probably [name_m]Black[/name_m] Chalk (Christopher Yates). The Woman in the Window (AJ Finn) and One of Us Is Lying (K McManus) were also major disappointments to me.

1. Who are your favourite book characters?

Too many to list. Shout out to Ponyboy and [name_u]Johnny[/name_u] from The Outsiders, [name_m]Turtle[/name_m] from The Westing Game, and [name_f]Violet[/name_f] from A Series of Unfortunate Events.

1. What are some books on your to be read list?

So many! The [name_u]Seven[/name_u] Husbands of [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], A Good Girls Guide To Murder, Pope [name_u]Joan[/name_u], I’m Not Dying With You Tonight, The [name_u]Southern[/name_u] Book Club’s Guide to Slaying Vampires, Such A Fun Age… I really could go on a while.

1. Your favourite book to TV/movie adaptation?

The Outsiders— the movie is a near flawless adaptation of the book.

1. Do you track your reading in any way? (On Goodreads, listography, in a notepad etc)

I use Goodreads, it’s really helped me stay motivated to make time to read for fun! It’s a major method of self care for me— I have chronic joint and pain issues so reading is my yoga lol

2 Likes

Heroes of [name_m]Olympus[/name_m] (series)
13 Treasures (series)
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] (series)
His Dark Materials (series)

[name_m]Rick[/name_m] [name_m]Riordan[/name_m], [name_f]Roseanne[/name_f] A. [name_m]Brown[/name_m], [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] Moreno-Garcia, [name_u]Angie[/name_u] [name_u]Sage[/name_u], [name_m]Roald[/name_m] Dahl, [name_f]Meg[/name_f] [name_m]Cabot[/name_m], [name_f]Ally[/name_f] [name_u]Carter[/name_u]

3. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you enjoy classic literature?
Nope :confused:

YA and fantasy

5. What are your favourite and least favourite books you’ve read so far this year?
[name_m]Favorite[/name_m]: A Song of Wraiths and Ruin by [name_f]Roseanne[/name_f] A. [name_m]Brown[/name_m]
Least favorite: [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] by [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] [name_u]Saint[/name_u]

[name_u]Percy[/name_u] [name_u]Jackson[/name_u], [name_f]Sadie[/name_f] [name_m]Kane[/name_m], [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Fox[/name_u], [name_f]Ginny[/name_f] Weasley

Currently waiting for A [name_m]Psalm[/name_m] of Storms and [name_f]Silence[/name_f], the second book in [name_f]Roseanne[/name_f] A. Brown’s duology set to come out this month.

I wouldn’t say it was perfect or even amazing but I liked comparing Hulu’s version of [name_m]Little[/name_m] Fires Everywhere to [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] Ng’s book.

9. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you track your reading in any way? (On Goodreads, listography, in a notepad etc)
Nope, just keep them all in my head and cry that I don’t read as much as I’d like to.

2 Likes

[ #1 — top five favorite books ]

_ the harry potter series (grouping them together as one) by j.k. rowling
_ pride and prejudice by jane austen
_ almond by wonpyung sohn
_ gasigogi by changin jo
_ anne of green gables by l.m. montgomery

[ #2 — favorite authors ]

_ probably jane austen.
but i don’t really have a specific favorite author.
i haven’t read enough of jane austen’s work to know whether i like her or just that one specific book. same goes for the other authors.

[ #3 — do i enjoy classic literature? ]

_ so far, yes.
it’s not like i’ve read loads of classics up till now, but with the ones i have read, i loved them, so i’m planning on reading more.

[ #4 — favorite genres ]

_ coming of age novels, and romance.
more specifically, i love it when coming of age novels have romantic subplots.
also, though i said coming of age novels, what i really like are the character developments, so it’s not really restricted to y.a. / coming of age novels.

[ #5 — favorite + least favorite books from this year ]

_ i’ve reread pride and prejudice, so that’s my favorite.
_ i don’t think there was a book i particularly didn’t like this year.

[ #6 — favorite book characters ]

_ from the harry potter series : the golden trio. all three of them.
also in headcanon (which is based on canon), i love the marauders (minus peter) and lily evans as well. but there’s too little canon information about them (especially james and lily). and although he was a git, i think draco was a very interesting character. tbh, there are so many characters in hp i would love to learn more about.
_ from the percy jackson series : percy jackson.
_ from pride and prejudice : mr.darcy. i love him. most ardently. his character developement is beautiful.

all ‘basic’ answers, but i say they are popular favorites for a reason.

[ #7 — books on my read list ]

_ the divine comedy by dante
_ pachinko by minjin lee
_ free food for millionaires by minjin lee
_ good omens by terry pratchett and neil gaiman
_ who ate up all the shinga by wansuh park
_ the lord of the rings by j.r.r. tolkien
_ demian by hermann hesse

[ #8 — favorite book to tv/movie adaptation ]

_ flipped : from book to film(2010)
_ pride and prejudice : from book to film(2005)
_ little women : from book to film(2019)
_ anne of green gables : from book to tv series(1985 & 2017)
_ kim jiyoung, born 1982 : from book to film(2019)

[ #9 — do i track my reading ]

_ no, but i’m planning to start keeping track by writing reviews.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing everyone!! Really enjoyed reading these!! Also, if anyone has goodreads and wants to be friends/compare books, mine is Grace (ginevralinton) - The United Kingdom (302 books)

@EagleEyes I love the Book Thief -haven’t read that in years!!

@EdgeOfTheMeadow ooh, I love [name_f]Emma[/name_f] Donoghue and [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] [name_u]Perry[/name_u] too!

@namergirl3 yay! I love Great Expectations -it’s so good! [name_f]My[/name_f] friend didn’t enjoy the Gracekeepers either -put me off trying it!

@GreenEyes375 I can definitely relate to wanting a happy ending - several of my favourite books have unhappy ones but I have to admit i do sometimes just want a HEA

@Emarkulics ooh i love the Great [name_m]Gatsby[/name_m] and [name_m]Draco[/name_m] was always my fave from HP

@rubylark I love [name_f]My[/name_f] Ántonia and I’ve been reading to read a Tale of Two Cities! Ms Mowcher is very cool and I’m glad to find someone else who enjoyed the [name_u]David[/name_u] Copperfield adaptation -I feel like it had the right amount of Dickensian chaos

@itsjustjack i love the Picture of [name_u]Dorian[/name_u] [name_u]Gray[/name_u]! Reread it recently!! [name_m]Hamnet[/name_m] is on my tbr!!

@SparkleNinja18 that reminds me I need to finish reading His Dark Materials! I’ve only read the first one!!

@minminnie I really need to read [name_u]Anne[/name_u] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables -so many people seem to love it!!

5 Likes
Summary

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite book of all time is the first miss peregrines home for peculiar children , i feel like it opened the doorway to the series and once i started it i couldn’t put it down, it was one of those books i craved to read , i read it everywhere whenever i could i finished it in a week.
[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite book from my childhood would have to be [name_f]Hetty[/name_f] [name_f]Feather[/name_f] by [name_f]Jaqueline[/name_f] [name_m]Wilson[/name_m] , i loved the story it was just complex enough that i couldn’t see what was coming. i cried my eyes out to all the images of [name_u]Jem[/name_u] I so wanted her to meet him again.
[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite [name_u]Percy[/name_u] [name_u]Jackson[/name_u] book was the son of [name_u]Neptune[/name_u]. I loved the way the book flipped from character to character changing each chapter also i fell in love with the fresh characters from the hero’s of olympus series.
The Librarian of Auschwitz. Such an underrated book documenting a young girls brave decision to protect education in a place of death.
I don’t remember much of my favourite series as a child (a series of unfortunate events) but i remember they brought me joy and really introduced me to reading so i think they deserve an honourable mention.

Summary

[name_m]Rick[/name_m] Roidon , Randson [name_m]Riggs[/name_m] , Lemony Snickett

Summary

For analysis absolutely. As general reading no. I prefer light reading.

Summary

[name_f]Fantasy[/name_f] Fiction sometimes [name_f]Non[/name_f] fiction

Summary

The curse of [name_f]Athena[/name_f] - Best
The song of achilles - worst (i got half way through and gave up)

Summary

[name_u]Percy[/name_u] [name_u]Jackson[/name_u] - [name_u]Leo[/name_u] and [name_f]Annabeth[/name_f]
Miss peregrines home for peculiar children - [name_m]Jacob[/name_m] and [name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Hetty[/name_f] [name_f]Feather[/name_f] - [name_u]Diamond[/name_u]

Summary

The hunger games a series of unfortunate events and the chronicles of narnia

Summary

None books are always better.

• What are your top five favourite books?
  1. percy jackson
  2. little women
  3. the penderwicks
  4. pride and prejudice
  5. the hunger games

very eclectic list :sweat_smile:

• Who are you favourite authors?
    hmm… i love louisa may alcott.

• Do you enjoy classic literature?
    i haven’t read a ton of classic lit, but from what i have read, i enjoy it a lot!

• What are your favourite genres?
    fantasy is my fave but i love slice-of-life-y stuff as well.

• What are your favourite and least favourite books you’ve read so far this year? (Skip if you haven’t read this year ofc)
    i can’t remember exactly when i read it, but one of my least favorite books is i capture the castle. the main character was so wishy washy and the story just wasn’t interesting.

• Who are your favourite book characters?
    amy march, laurie laurence, annabeth chase, batty penderwick, and lydia penderwick.

• What are some books on your to be read list?
    so jane austen books (minus p&p) and anne of green gables.

• Your favourite book to TV/movie adaptation?
    1995 pride and prejudice 1000%! super accurate and it really helps you visualize the scenes when you read the book! 2020 emma and clueless are my favorite movies but i haven’t read emma yet, funnily enough.

• Do you track your reading in any way? (On Goodreads, listography, in a notepad etc)
    i don’t, but i want to start next year. i honestly have no idea how many books i read in a year.

@Laurenabbey I enjoyed the first Miss [name_u]Peregrine[/name_u] too but i havent read the others! [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f] [name_m]Wilson[/name_m] was a childhood fave!

@SeleneMoon love [name_m]Little[/name_m] Women and [name_f]Amy[/name_f]! I need to read and watch Emma!!

2 Likes
  1. The Hunger Games by [name_f]Suzanne[/name_f] [name_u]Collins[/name_u], The Selection by [name_f]Kiera[/name_f] [name_u]Cass[/name_u], Delirium by [name_f]Lauren[/name_f] [name_u]Oliver[/name_u], [name_u]Legend[/name_u] by [name_u]Marie[/name_u] [name_f]Lu[/name_f], & Divergent by [name_f]Veronica[/name_f] [name_m]Roth[/name_m].

2. I’m not sure I have any. I read an abundance of authors.

3. Not really.

4. Dystopian YA

5. [name_f]My[/name_f] favs are listed above. I don’t have a least favorite.

6. [name_f]Katniss[/name_f] [name_f]Everdeen[/name_f] & [name_m]Peeta[/name_m] Mellark, [name_u]Four[/name_u] (Divergent), [name_u]Day[/name_u] and [name_u]June[/name_u] (Legend), [name_m]Maxon[/name_m] Schreave (Selection)

7. Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

8. The Hunger Games of course! Such a great adaptation.

9. I have a list written down and I check them as I go.

1 Like
    Hmm… A Tree Grows in [name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u], [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] Strange and Mr. Norrell, [name_m]Little[/name_m] Women, The [name_f]Guernsey[/name_f] Literary and Potato [name_m]Peel[/name_m] Pie Society, and… The Alchemist? It’s tricky to choose favorites, so I limited myself to stand-alone (ish) novels that I prefer to the authors’ other books.

So many! [name_f]Amy[/name_f] [name_m]Tan[/name_m], [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] [name_u]Addison[/name_u] [name_m]Allen[/name_m], [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u], [name_u]Toni[/name_u] [name_m]Morrison[/name_m], [name_f]Rainbow[/name_f] Rowell, [name_m]Roald[/name_m] Dahl, [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] [name_u]Clarke[/name_u], [name_m]Markus[/name_m] Zusak,Terry Pratchett…

3. Do you enjoy classic literature?
    Often! Some of my favorite books are classics or modern classics. I should reread some of the classics that I read as a child to see if I have any new appreciation.

I tend to gravitate towards magical realism, contemporary/literary fiction, historical fiction, fantasy, “women’s fiction,” and (auto)biographies. However, I enjoy most genres!

5. What are your favourite and least favourite books you’ve read so far this year? (Skip if you haven’t read this year ofc)
    (I won’t count rereads in this. ) [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites have been The Family [name_m]Orchard[/name_m], The Invention of Wings, Keeping [name_f]Faith[/name_f], [name_f]Bee[/name_f] [name_f]Season[/name_f], First [name_f]Lady[/name_f] from Plains, The Space Between Us, The Brief and Wonderous Life of [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] Wao, and [name_f]Circe[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] least favorite has been The Wishing Trees by [name_u]John[/name_u] Shors.

To avoid information overload, I’ll just choose some from my favorite books! [name_f]Francie[/name_f] and [name_f]Katie[/name_f] [name_u]Nolan[/name_u], [name_u]John[/name_u] Segundus, [name_u]Jo[/name_u] and [name_f]Meg[/name_f] [name_u]March[/name_u], [name_m]Dawsey[/name_m] [name_m]Adams[/name_m], and [name_m]Santiago[/name_m].

Some I plan to read soon are One Hundred Years of Solitude, Saving [name_m]Fish[/name_m] from Drowning, and The Picture of [name_u]Dorian[/name_u] [name_u]Gray[/name_u].

The [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Bride[/name_f], Stardust, Big [name_m]Fish[/name_m], and [name_m]Lord[/name_m] of the Rings are some movie adaptations that I think match or excel the source material.

No. I wish I did, but I never get started! I always have to brainstorm to figure out what I’ve read.

1 Like

In no particular order, my five favorites are The brothers Karamazov, [name_f]Anna[/name_f] Karenina, The Hilltop, The street of crocodiles and Alone in [name_u]Berlin[/name_u].

Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] Mann, [name_m]Albert[/name_m] Camus, [name_m]Bruno[/name_m] Schulz, [name_u]Robert[/name_u] [name_m]Harris[/name_m], Arnaldur Indriðason, [name_m]Chaim[/name_m] Potok, [name_m]Henning[/name_m] Mankell. And in non-fiction: [name_m]Rüdiger[/name_m] Safranski and [name_m]Simon[/name_m] Schama.

1. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you enjoy classic literature?
    Yes, very much.

Crime and mystery novels, realistic literature, magical realism. And I love a good bildungsroman.

5. What are your favourite and least favourite books you’ve read so far this year?
[name_m]Favorite[/name_m]: The song of [name_m]Achilles[/name_m] by [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] [name_u]Miller[/name_u] and [name_f]Girl[/name_f], woman, other by [name_f]Bernardine[/name_f] [name_m]Evaristo[/name_m]. Least favorite: The [name_m]Baltimore[/name_m] Boys by Joël Dicker. It wasn’t exactly bad, but just disappointing.

I love detective [name_m]Konrad[/name_m] Sejer from the books by [name_f]Karin[/name_f] Fossum, and [name_m]Kurt[/name_m] Wallander from the books by [name_m]Henning[/name_m] Mankell. I’ve always had a soft spot for [name_m]Stepan[/name_m] Oblonsky from [name_f]Anna[/name_f] Karenina. And for [name_m]Alec[/name_m] Scudder from [name_u]Maurice[/name_u].

The midnight library by [name_m]Matt[/name_m] [name_m]Haig[/name_m], Everything I never told you by [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] [name_u]Ng[/name_u], On earth we’re briefly gorgeous by [name_u]Ocean[/name_u] Vuong and hundreds of others.

I enjoyed the [name_u]Maurice[/name_u] movie. And the [name_f]Emma[/name_f] movie (2020).

Yes, I use Goodreads.

1 Like

@almostactually I’ve been meaning to read [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] [name_u]Clarke[/name_u] and more [name_u]Toni[/name_u] Morrison!! [name_f]Circe[/name_f] is a wonderful book and I’d definitely recommend The Picture of [name_u]Dorian[/name_u] Gray:)

@Rosebeth I’ve been meaning to read Song of [name_m]Achilles[/name_m] and to give [name_f]Girl[/name_f], Woman, Other another try -I feel like so many people love it but I really struggled with it but I don’t know if that was just because I was ill :woman_facepalming: And [name_u]Maurice[/name_u] is a fabulous movie (and book!)

2 Likes

[name_u]Anne[/name_u] Frank’s Diary, [name_u]Anne[/name_u] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables, the Divergent series by [name_f]Veronica[/name_f] [name_m]Roth[/name_m], [name_u]Kim[/name_u] Ji [name_m]Young[/name_m], [name_m]Born[/name_m] 1982 by [name_f]Cho[/name_f] Nam-joo and Flawed by [name_f]Cecelia[/name_f] [name_m]Ahern[/name_m].

[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] [name_m]Ahern[/name_m] and [name_u]Jojo[/name_u] Moyes

3. Do you enjoy classic literature?
Generally, yes.

Historical, romance and dystopian

Favourite: The Beekeeper of Aleppo by [name_u]Christy[/name_u] Lefteri
Least favourite: don’t have one!

[name_u]Anne[/name_u] from [name_u]Anne[/name_u] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables and [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] from Divergent

I just picked up a copy of the book of Slumdog Millionaire which I’ll be reading soon.

[name_u]Anne[/name_u] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables on Netflix!

9. Do you track your reading in any way? (On Goodreads, listography, in a notepad etc)
I have a bullet journal, but read on a [name_f]Kindle[/name_f] so my books are luckily automatically tracked for me that way.

1 Like

@Adelina_Sophia I really need to read [name_u]Anne[/name_u] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables! So many people seem to love it!!