Ten up for Thoughts

[name]Just[/name] some names that we’ve talked about for future wee ones. I’m just looking for reviews - the more the merrier! I love to know what you think of them overall, what associations you have with them, and/or how common the names are in your area (where you are is helpful with that one!). Thanks!

And I can handle negative reactions! I just want honesty :slight_smile:

[name]Bram[/name]
[name]Seamus[/name]
[name]Rory[/name]
[name]Colin[/name]
[name]Emile[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Gaspard[/name]
[name]Cormac[/name]
Vivek
[name]Finn[/name]

[name]Bram[/name] - Ok
[name]Seamus[/name] - Ok
[name]Rory[/name] - Feels more girly
[name]Colin[/name] - [name]Love[/name]
[name]Emile[/name] - [name]Love[/name]
[name]Felix[/name] - [name]Love[/name] [name]Love[/name]
[name]Gaspard[/name] - mmm interesting - could work, depends on last name - sounds French
[name]Cormac[/name] - NMS
Vivek - Never heard it before - where does it come from?
[name]Finn[/name] - Ok but NMS

[name]Bram[/name] - [name]LOVE[/name] this, i also like [name]Bran[/name]
[name]Seamus[/name] - Not my style, but certainly not bad
[name]Rory[/name] - eh, again, not my style but not awful. I just dont really like the idea of naming boys unisex names. I know both male and female rorys, and the males always complain about being teased when they were younger for having a “girls name”
[name]Colin[/name]- eh its not BAD but boring - and my mind always goes to “colon” not a great association ha but maybe thats just me?
[name]Emile[/name] - i really like this name, actually
[name]Felix[/name] - love this name
[name]Gaspard[/name]- not my style
[name]Cormac[/name] - i like this, and love the nickname [name]Mac[/name]
Vivek - not crazy about it. and I wonder if hed be called [name]Viv[/name], which is girly to me
[name]Finn[/name] - [name]Love[/name] finn! I think i like [name]Flynn[/name] even better

good luck!

[name]Bram[/name] - It’s ok.
[name]Seamus[/name] - NMS at all.
[name]Rory[/name] - Meh. I like it as a nn but on it’s own it’s a little childish or even girly.
[name]Colin[/name] - I like this name but I prefer either [name]Collin[/name] or [name]Collen[/name]. As PP said it’s close to colon so that’s why I like the double L’s. Maybe I’m weird, haha.
[name]Emile[/name] - TBH at first glance I just saw a kre8tiv spelling for [name]Emily[/name]. Either way, don’t really like it.
[name]Felix[/name] - It’s ok.
[name]Gaspard[/name] - “gas” in a name has teasing all over it [name]IMO[/name].
[name]Cormac[/name] - It’s ok. NMS but a good name.
Vivek - A little too out there for me.
[name]Finn[/name] - It’s not bad.

Sorry I seem underwhelmed or negative about your names, we have totally different styles!

Your have some great Irish names on here!

I love [name]Finn[/name] and [name]Rory[/name], they’re both gorgeous. I’ve seen time and time again that these names are considered “unisex” in the States, but I just can’t see anything girly about either of them. [name]Both[/name] great boys names in my opinion! I’m in the UK and haven’t met any [name]Finn[/name]'s yet but I think I will soon, and only know of 3 [name]Rory[/name]'s with varying ages (24, 21 and 9 years of age) so it’s not overly popular here.

[name]Bram[/name] intrigues me but it’s too nicknamey for me. I’d prefer [name]Abram[/name]/[name]Abraham[/name]/[name]Avram[/name] or something like that.

[name]Colin[/name] and [name]Seamus[/name] are both middle aged men’s name in the UK.

I’ve never met or even heard of a [name]Cormac[/name] but it doesn’t appeal to me.

Vivek stands out but I just think of the girls name [name]Vivica[/name]. Is it legit? The names sounds very European.

I used to like [name]Felix[/name] but all I think of is cats these days, and I much prefer [name]Dexter[/name], [name]Phoenix[/name], [name]Maddox[/name] for names with an ‘x’ in.

[name]Emile[/name] is adorable, but I guess some will say girly because it is similar to [name]Emily[/name]. I know a little lad called [name]Emil[/name], without the e, and he copes just fine with his name.

I don’t like [name]Gaspard[/name] at all, I think of [name]Gaston[/name] (I think that’s what it is) from Beauty and the Beast.

[name]Bram[/name] - Dracula. NMS.
[name]Seamus[/name] - Eh. Not a fan of this one. [name]Just[/name] don’t like the sound.
[name]Rory[/name] - [name]Love[/name] this one. My first choice for a boy.
[name]Colin[/name] - Ok. I know a bunch of [name]Colin[/name]'s in my area. Not my favorite.
[name]Emile[/name] - Excellent. [name]Unique[/name] but not too “out there”.
[name]Felix[/name] - NMS. [name]Just[/name] don’t like this name. At all.
[name]Gaspard[/name] - Eh. [name]Unique[/name], sure, but don’t like the sound of it.
[name]Cormac[/name] - Yuck.
Vivek - Interesting. Never heard this one. The more I say it, the more I like it.
[name]Finn[/name] - No. Popular, and annoying.

[name]Bram[/name] - love love [name]LOVE[/name]! Definitely one I’d use one day
[name]Seamus[/name] - it’s fine, but it’s hard for me to get past the nonphonetic spelling. [name]Silly[/name], I know!
[name]Rory[/name] - another one I love! I don’t think it’s feminine at all
[name]Colin[/name] - i’ve always thought of this name as a little weak sounding. But then I remember [name]Colin[/name] [name]Firth[/name], and that helps alot
[name]Emile[/name] - interesting. perhaps a little pretentious if you’re not french
[name]Felix[/name] - I don’t quite get the appeal to this one. It seems sort of weak sounding
[name]Gaspard[/name] - unfortunately, I don’t think this one would work on the playground
[name]Cormac[/name] - I really like this one. There’s the unfortunate meat association, but I still like it
Vivek - sounds too much like [name]Vivienne[/name] to me
[name]Finn[/name] - a little too popular for my tastes

[name]Bram[/name] - love this! I think it is masculine without being ugly or weird, if that makes sense
[name]Seamus[/name] - I’ve lived in places where this has been sort of popular, but I don’t hear it much in little kids right now…I think it is cute
[name]Rory[/name] - love this name…it is adorable
[name]Colin[/name] - meh…like some of the others more
[name]Emile[/name] - oh, I [name]LOVE[/name] this name! I am a little scared to use it, but I think it is gorgeous!
[name]Felix[/name] - don’t really like this. I know others love it, but … I don’t
[name]Gaspard[/name] - kind of weird, but okay
[name]Cormac[/name] – love this! I think it is much better than [name]Colin[/name]
Vivek - yeah, I kind of think ‘[name]Vivienne[/name]’ when I first see it, but it could work
[name]Finn[/name] - I love this…it is cute- I guess it is getting popular, but I still love it

[name]Bram[/name]: I might like it if it’s short for [name]Abram[/name], but it sounds like “pram” and “bran,” as in bran muffins. I’ve never heard it on an actual person.
[name]Seamus[/name]: I think it would be fine in the UK. I’ve never heard it in the US before. I associate it with [name]Seamus[/name] Heaney. The word “shame” does pop out at me a bit when I think of the name.
[name]Rory[/name]: I love it. I think of the female character [name]Rory[/name] from The [name]Gilmore[/name] Girls, but I like it better on boys.
[name]Colin[/name]: [name]Colin[/name] [name]Firth[/name]! I like it, but I’ve also never met anyone named [name]Colin[/name].
[name]Emile[/name]: I like it. I can see the concern that it may be perceived as feminine, depending on where you live.
[name]Felix[/name]: It’s my grandpa’s name, and I’ve always liked it.
[name]Gaspard[/name]: It’s ok.
[name]Cormac[/name]: [name]Cormac[/name] [name]McCarthy[/name] all the way. [name]Love[/name] it.
Vivek: I’m not familiar with this name, but I kind of like the sound of it.
[name]Finn[/name]: Reminds me of the TV show Glee, as well as a boy I know whose name is [name]Phineas[/name] nn [name]Finn[/name]. I kind of like it.

[name]Bram[/name] - I love this name! I especially love it on it’s own, not as a nn. I’d love it someone used it.
[name]Seamus[/name] - Nice name. It’s not very popular, but it’s very well known. I like the sound.
[name]Rory[/name] - I used to love this name but it’s getting girlier and girlier. I don’t know if I could still use it.
[name]Colin[/name] - I like it. I’ve known a few [name]Collins[/name], but never a [name]Colin[/name]. The one l looks nicer
[name]Emile[/name] - It sounds very girly. People will assume it just an attempt to escape the [name]Emily[/name]/[name]Emma[/name]/[name]Emerson[/name] popularity.
[name]Felix[/name] - I love this name! It’s sound, meaning, x ending, they all appeal to me!
[name]Gaspard[/name] - I hear an unkind word for a baby with unmarried parents that’s now used for a jerk. They just sound very similar.
[name]Cormac[/name] - [name]LOVE[/name] it!
Vivek - Too weird for me.
[name]Finn[/name] - It’s okay. I’m starting to get a little sick of it, but it’s still a nice name.

[name]Bram[/name] - First thought that popped into my head was [name]Bram[/name] Stoker
[name]Seamus[/name] - Never been a fan of this name.
[name]Rory[/name] - I like this name but I view it as a girl’s name because of [name]Rory[/name] [name]Gilmore[/name].
[name]Colin[/name] - A classic and my second favorite on your list.
[name]Emile[/name] - A bit close to [name]Emily[/name].
[name]Felix[/name] - I know a lot of people love this name but it’s NMS at all. It makes me think of a crotchety old man with thick black glasses.
[name]Gaspard[/name] - Reminds me of [name]Gaston[/name] from “Beauty and the Beast.”
[name]Cormac[/name] - Is this pronounced “core-mick” or “core-mack”??
Vivek - I like this one a lot. Reminds me of the indie singer Vivek Shraya (he’s awesome BTW) and he’s [name]Indian[/name] so it sounds [name]Indian[/name] to me. From what I’ve read, it’s Sanksrit for “distinction.”
[name]Finn[/name] - My personal fave. I love love love this name.

[name]Bram[/name] - I love it. Reminds me of J. [name]Brahms[/name], though, if that’s a concern.
[name]Seamus[/name] - Meh. Not my fave. I love Irish names, but this one isn’t doing it for me. No particular reason, though. [name]Just[/name] NMS.
[name]Rory[/name] - I personally [name]DO[/name] NOT like this name on boys. [name]Rory[/name] [name]Gilmore[/name], you know? I know it’s a legit boy name, but it’s too girlie for me.
[name]Colin[/name] - Very common in my area.
[name]Emile[/name] - [name]LOVE[/name]
[name]Felix[/name] - Reminds me of cats
[name]Gaspard[/name] - Very romantic sounding, but probably wouldn’t work well for a baby. I wouldn’t even want to know the nn (Gas?)
[name]Cormac[/name] - I like!
Vivek - Definitely weird, but it depends on your last name. It does sound very handsome.
[name]Finn[/name] - Very popular around me.

Please note that I’m being very picky. These are all nice, unique but classic names!

A lot of great feedback! I just wanted to put two things out there (not to sway thoughts but just because people asked or seem confused).

1. [name]Gaspard[/name] is French, and you do not say the D.
  2. Vivek is Hindi, and yes, very legit. It is however clearly is foreign which doesn’t bother me but there it is.

Also, I am half-French (dual citizenship) since I know some were pointing out the French names might be weird with nothing to back it up. This is also why I prefer [name]Emile[/name] to [name]Emil[/name].

Neat list!
[name]Bram[/name]- I like this a lot, though I was an avid “[name]Sharon[/name], [name]Lois[/name] & [name]Bram[/name]/ The Elephant Show” watcher as a child, so I will always think that [name]Bram[/name], though I don’t think that’s bad. I like [name]Abram[/name] and love [name]Bertram[/name] with the nickname [name]Bram[/name], too.
[name]Seamus[/name]- I prefer [name]Hamish[/name] by a landslide, honestly. [name]Seamus[/name] is okay, but I don’t really like the sound of it much.
[name]Rory[/name]- [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Rory[/name]! It makes me so happy to see it on a boy :slight_smile:
[name]Colin[/name]- I think [name]Colin[/name] is nice. Not my favourite name or anthing, but it’s nice.
[name]Emile[/name]- I like [name]Emile[/name]… I’m not super passionate about it one way or the other, but it’s cool. I don’t think I’d use it anywhere other than a French-speaking region, though.
[name]Felix[/name]- I like [name]Felix[/name] a lot! It’s one I’d consider myself.
[name]Gaspard[/name]- I don’t really like [name]Gaspard[/name] much, though I’ve tried. I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Caspar[/name], though.
[name]Cormac[/name]- eeh… not my cup of tea.
Vivek- this is cool! Where did you find it? [name]Do[/name] you know its origin?
[name]Finn[/name]- I like [name]Finn[/name]… I used to like it more, but now it’s a little too trendy for me, plus, I know a little girl named [name]Finn[/name] :confused:

[name]Bram[/name] - I love it. I have yet to hear it in my area.
[name]Seamus[/name] - I like it. I like a lot of your other names better.
[name]Rory[/name] - I’m sad to say that it has gone to the girls in my area.
[name]Colin[/name] - Very sturdy and strong. Not popular but recognizable. I love it.
[name]Emile[/name] - I know one little boy with this name and he was named for his father. It’s okay.
[name]Felix[/name] - I love it. I don’t know if I would ever use it. I do love it though.
[name]Gaspard[/name] - This is the only one on your list that I don’t love/like.
[name]Cormac[/name] - I like this. It seems very fresh.
Vivek - I know one man of this name and he is a very outgoing and nice person.
[name]Finn[/name] - This is my favorite from your list.

[name]Bram[/name] - I absolutely love this, and I love that it has the ties to the Biblical [name]Abraham[/name]/[name]Abram[/name] that I love, without the actual name, which I don’t love, lol. It also reminds me of the composer [name]Brahms[/name]… I learned several of his pieces when I took piano, so everything about this is good for me. The only not-so-good thing is that it feels too short, too nicknamey for me. But I do love it.

[name]Seamus[/name] - I love how Gaelic this is! It’s such a cool name and I would love to meet a [name]Seamus[/name]. I love [name]Shea[/name] as a nn, too.

[name]Rory[/name] - absolutely adore [name]Rory[/name] for a boy! It’s such a quirky, fun, unusual choice. I met a hilarious, dapper [name]Rory[/name] at work several weeks ago… he totally gave life to [name]Rory[/name] and I doubt I would love it as much now if I hadn’t have met him. It just seems so down-to-earth and fun.

[name]Colin[/name] - I like it, but it seems overdone to me. I’m not sure why. I like [name]Cole[/name] more.

[name]Emile[/name] - I love [name]Emile[/name] for a boy! I can’t really imagine using it, but I do love it. Once upon a time I had [name]Joseph[/name] [name]Emile[/name] on my list–I loved it then, and still really love it now. I went to school with an [name]Emile[/name] who was very boyish, a little shy, but quite masculine and charming. I think it’s a great choice! It’s a shame you don’t hear it more often.

[name]Felix[/name] - I really like [name]Felix[/name], but I can’t imagine using it for some reason. I’ve met quite a few Hispanic Felixes, but I would still love to meet others, especially a little boy named [name]Felix[/name]. It’s such a refreshing choice.

[name]Gaspard[/name] - I like it a lot! My best friend (who was in [name]France[/name] her whole life) nearly named one of her triplets this. I still really like it because of her. It has such a cool French appeal to me.

Vivek - is this Polish? It reminds me of a lot of Polish names I’ve come across ([name]Marek[/name], [name]Jarek[/name], etc.). I love it, actually, but I’m a huge sucker for Polish names!

[name]Finn[/name] - I like it a lot, although just [name]Finn[/name] seems a bit bland to me. I like [name]Finnegan[/name], [name]Finlay[/name], [name]Flynn[/name], and [name]Phineas[/name] (even [name]Finnian[/name]) more, personally.

My favorites are [name]Bram[/name], [name]Seamus[/name] and [name]Colin[/name]. [name]Love[/name] [name]Seamus[/name]! Please don’t name a future child [name]Gaspard[/name]!!! Associations with [name]Gaston[/name] and B-----ard. Its really clunky too.

[name]Bram[/name]-love
[name]Seamus[/name]-like
[name]Rory[/name]-like
[name]Colin[/name]-like
[name]Emile[/name]-pronunciation?
[name]Felix[/name]-the [name]Cat[/name]
[name]Gaspard[/name]-no
[name]Cormac[/name]-love, I pronounce it core-mack, not core-mick
Vivek-no
[name]Finn[/name]-like

[name]Bram[/name]–I like it as a nn for [name]Abraham[/name] but I don’t know that I’d use it stand-alone.
[name]Seamus[/name]–very Irish, I like it!
[name]Rory[/name]–adorable, fun name. I imagine a rough & tumble, creative boy with this name.
[name]Colin[/name]–ok but not my favorite
[name]Emile[/name]–makes me think of [name]Emile[/name] [name]Zola[/name]. I also can see people assuming it’s a girl when they see it written, since it’s similar to [name]Emily[/name].
[name]Felix[/name]–I always think of a cat with this name. I love cats of course, but I just don’t picture this on a little boy.
[name]Gaspard[/name]–Never heard of this name before your list, but not really loving it.
[name]Cormac[/name]–Cute. [name]Mac[/name] is a great nn for it.
Vivek–Another one I’m not familiar with.
[name]Finn[/name] --I love [name]Finn[/name], it’s on my list of boy favorites. I like it strictly for boys though, as I’m rebelling against this trend of giving girls masculine names. Let girls be sugar & spice & everything nice! :slight_smile:

[name]Cris[/name]