Terra vs Tara

[name_f]Terra[/name_f] vs [name_f]Tara[/name_f] which would you pick? We pn it to rhyme with [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Terra[/name_f] is easier to know how to pronounce, I like the earthy laid back feel it has since it is Latin for earth. [name_f]Tara[/name_f] is the traditional spelling but may have pronunciation issues. :confused:

I like [name_f]Tara[/name_f] better

Here, [name_f]Tara[/name_f] would be pronounced to rhyme with [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]. I’m in Michigan, FWIW.

[name_f]Terra[/name_f] and [name_f]Tara[/name_f] are TWO different names and have no relation to each other. [name_f]Tara[/name_f] is the sacred place where the ancient Irish kings once resided. It means “rocky hill” or “elevated place”. It should be pronounced “TAR-uh” not like [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]. [name_f]Terra[/name_f] means “earth”. If you want to pronounce the name like [name_f]Sarah[/name_f], then use [name_f]Terra[/name_f].

[name_m]Just[/name_m] this. Also I like [name_f]Terra[/name_f] more.

I have always seen [name_f]Tara[/name_f] prn [name_f]Terra[/name_f]/[name_f]Sarah[/name_f]. I have only heard British people say Tar-uh. But that is just my experience. I personally prefer [name_f]Tara[/name_f]. It looks softer and more feminine.

I agree with [name_u]Mischa[/name_u]. [name_f]Tara[/name_f] is tar-uh, [name_f]Terra[/name_f] is like [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]. They’re different with different meanings and histories and roots.

If you want “rhymes with [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]” choose [name_f]Terra[/name_f].

For me personally, I [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] [name_f]Terra[/name_f]. I love that it’s a word name but it’s not super obviously, and I love the sound. I [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] [name_f]Tara[/name_f] too, in its own way. It has a different, softer sound to me and I love the meaning and history.

So of the two, for you, [name_f]Terra[/name_f] would be better.

I would use [name_f]Tara[/name_f]. For the record, the only [name_f]Tara[/name_f] I know pronounces it like [name_f]Sarah[/name_f], not tar-uh.

If you want it to sound like [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] then spell it [name_f]Terra[/name_f].

[name_f]Tara[/name_f] does not rhyme with [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]. Its origins are Irish and Sanskrit, and both pronounce it ‘tar-ah’. Some Americans just insist on pronouncing it wrong (as a [name_f]Tara[/name_f], it’s very annoying)

Some Americans? I’d say that most of [name_u]America[/name_u] pronounce it as rhyming with [name_f]Sarah[/name_f].

I second everything [name_u]Mischa[/name_u] said. I prefer [name_f]Tara[/name_f] myself, but if you want pronunciation like [name_f]Sarah[/name_f], then use [name_f]Terra[/name_f].

[name_m]Both[/name_m] pronunciations are beautiful. I agree with everyone who said [name_f]Terra[/name_f]. I think it’s the best spelling to get the sound you want. Good luck!

As a [name_f]Tara[/name_f] who lives in [name_u]America[/name_u] and has met/known upwards of 20 others with the same name and spelling, I can tell you that the go-to pronunciation rhymes with [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]. It may not be proper, but pronunciations are such a fluid thing based upon location/country of origin. The only people who have ever pronounced my name “Tar-uh” were transplants from [name_f]England[/name_f]/[name_f]Ireland[/name_f].

I do think you’d get the desired pronunciation from [name_f]Terra[/name_f] as well, so you really can’t go wrong.

I see a lot of disagreement about how [name_f]Tara[/name_f] is pronounced. I’ve known several Taras, some pronouncing it Tar-ah, and others who pronounce it to rhyme with [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]. If pronunciation is your worry, choose [name_f]Terra[/name_f].

I grew up in south [name_f]Florida[/name_f] around people of various races/ethnicities/cultures/countries of origin. Because of this diversity, ‘tar-ah’ is the pronunciation I usually get. However, I can always depend on the American out-of-state tourists to call me ‘tair-ah’ (even after I’ve told them, ‘tar-ah’).

As we are becoming more and more globalized, it’s wiser to get on board with the international pronunciation of [name_f]Tara[/name_f] or just name the child [name_f]Terra[/name_f]

I’m perplexed. There’s no way [name_f]Terra[/name_f] or [name_f]Tara[/name_f] rhymes with [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] as far as I can tell, is that my accent arcing up?

I’m stone-cold baffled now. Neither spelling would make me want to rhyme it with [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]. I can’t see how they possibly do.

[name_f]Sarah[/name_f]'s first syllable rhymes with air for me?

She wants tair-ah, like sair-ah. [name_f]Terra[/name_f] is the closest at teh-rah. In the US, a lot of people say [name_f]Tara[/name_f] as tair-ah.

I have a girl named [name_f]Tara[/name_f] in my math class. She pronounces it like [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]. I would say most Americans would as well. I’ve never heard it pronounced any other way. They pronounce [name_f]Tara[/name_f] like [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] in Gone With The Wind as well, which was supposedly where it became popular from in the states. I like the spelling [name_f]Tara[/name_f] better but if you are really worried about the pronunciation, maybe you should use [name_f]Terra[/name_f], even though I would pronounce them the same way.

I’m American… and still really confused.

[name_f]Tara[/name_f] - is not TAIR-uh to me. I’ve never heard TAIR-uh except from people from people from, I think, the Midwest? It sounds weird to me.
[name_f]Terra[/name_f] - has the same first syllable as terror.
[name_f]Sarah[/name_f] - isn’t [name_f]Serra[/name_f], to rhyme with [name_f]Terra[/name_f]. It’s SAIR-uh.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you guys say [name_f]Merry[/name_f]/[name_f]Mary[/name_f]/[name_f]Marry[/name_f] the same? Because it’s three different sounds to me. And [name_f]Terra[/name_f] has the same vowel as [name_f]Merry[/name_f], [name_f]Tara[/name_f] has the same vowel as [name_f]Marry[/name_f], and [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] has the same vowel as [name_f]Mary[/name_f].

I just ran the question past an Australian and he says he hears 3 different sounds as well, though he says TAR-uh.

Anyway, whichever spelling you pick, I guess I’ll mess it up. :frowning: I quite like [name_f]Terra[/name_f] though, the way I say it. And the meaning, earth.

[name_f]Terra[/name_f] isn’t even a name as far as I’m concerned. In Australia, the word terror is pronounced TER-ah. Same as your name.

[name_f]Tara[/name_f] is MUCH nicer. I’d assume Americans pronounced [name_f]Tara[/name_f] like TARE-ah (how they say the name on United States of [name_f]Tara[/name_f]). But I guess it’s a different pronunciation in different regions. I find, in Australia, names tend to have only one pronunciation. For what it’s worth, in Australia and [name_m]Britain[/name_m], [name_f]Tara[/name_f] is always pronounced [name_m]TAH[/name_m]-rah.