Tessa as a nn for Theodora?

I have always loved [name_f]Theodora[/name_f] (calling her [name_u]Teddy[/name_u]) but my husband wonders if we could get away with the nn [name_f]Tessa[/name_f]. I know in the book Middlesex there is a [name_f]Theodora[/name_f] nn [name_f]Tessie[/name_f]. What do you think? Would [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] fly as a NN?

I think it’s doable. If not as a full name, you can grab nn [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] from names like [name_f]Theresa[/name_f], which seems similar enough.

I think it’s too far personally. I can only think of [name_f]Hester[/name_f], [name_f]Esther[/name_f] or [name_f]Theresa[/name_f] for [name_f]Tess[/name_f]. [name_f]Theodosia[/name_f] maybe? At an extreme push.

[name_m]Plenty[/name_m] of people have nicknames that make no sense. [name_f]Do[/name_f] what you want!
I would opt for [name_f]Thea[/name_f] if you’re going the nn route though. But honestly, [name_f]Theodora[/name_f] is such a pretty, charmingly quriky/offbeat name in full - I wouldn’t shorten it.

I think its fine, nicknames don’t have to perfectly relate to the given name imo.

I’d say it works.

The only time a nickname works every time with every name is when it’s like Pookie, or Sweetums, or [name_m]Bud[/name_m], in my opinion. If you’re going to nickname a child an actual name, my personal preference is that it relates to the name. It’s just a pet peeve of mine to meet someone named [name_m]John[/name_m] but who goes by [name_m]Jack[/name_m], or an [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] who goes by [name_f]Buffy[/name_f].

[name_f]Tessie[/name_f] is, in my opinion, just too far from [name_f]Theodora[/name_f]. I agree with you that [name_f]Teddi[/name_f] (I’d definitely spell it with an ‘I’ on a girl, even though I’m not generally fond of “feminizing” names with 'I’s) is an adorable nickname. If your hubby wants a more feminine nickname, you can always use [name_f]Dora[/name_f] or [name_f]Thea[/name_f]. But [name_f]Theodora[/name_f] as a whole is really so rare and quirky that I wouldn’t truncate it at all.

Yes, I love that! I have adored [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] as a nn for a while now, since it would be out of place as a full name with my other favourites, which are generally long with nicknames. And yeah [name_f]Theodora[/name_f] nn [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] is gorgeous! I love it. I recently came across the idea of [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Tessa[/name_f], which I see as extremely viable considering the strange nicknames people with that name have often had ([name_f]Nellie[/name_f] and [name_f]Nettie[/name_f] and [name_u]Stacey[/name_u] being some examples)

I think you could get away with it, and I usually say anything goes with a nickname, but this is too big a stretch for me. Plus there are so many perfectly worthy names that more logically or traditionally shorten to [name_f]Tessa[/name_f], and so many other awesome nicknames that are more logically or traditionally pulled from [name_f]Theodora[/name_f].

My nephew [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is pretty much strictly called [name_u]Teddy[/name_u], and as a nickname I think [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] would be just as cute on a girl. I’d also vote for [name_f]Thea[/name_f] or [name_f]Dora[/name_f] or [name_f]Dorrie[/name_f] ahead of [name_f]Tessa[/name_f].

I think it’s way too far off. [name_f]Theodora[/name_f] has lots of other nice options though; [name_f]Thea[/name_f], [name_u]Theo[/name_u], [name_f]Tia[/name_f], [name_f]Dora[/name_f]. If you intend to call her [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] I would just use that as a full name, I think it stands pretty well on it’s own.

I think you could swing it, but I don’t love it. I adore [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] and [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] and [name_f]Theodora[/name_f]'s really pretty, but [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] doesn’t fit very well with [name_f]Theodora[/name_f]. I mean, you could make it work, but it’s a pretty big stretch.

I think that would be too much of a stretch.

Sorry, no. I don’t think it works.

[name_f]Tessa[/name_f] makes a great nn for [name_f]Theodora[/name_f].

I think [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] would I great nickname for a [name_f]Theodora[/name_f] [name_f]Susanne[/name_f], [name_f]Theodora[/name_f] [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f], Theordora [name_f]Estelle[/name_f], etc. I think you can really pull it off with a mn that has a prominent s.