Test out a name

[name_m]Hi[/name_m], we have decided we like the name [name_m]Zadan[/name_m]. What is your first thought about it or do you have any concerns?

My husband thinks no middle name. I would still like a middle name but want it to be a very normal name to offset such a bold choice and also mean something (mean something meaning maybe the name is from a very wise, important or well known person in history, like [name_u]Emerson[/name_u] from [name_m]Ralph[/name_m] [name_m]Waldo[/name_m] [name_u]Emerson[/name_u] but even a little more normal).

The great thing about naming your baby is that you get to decide, having said that, this is not my favourite name.

I think there is huge difference between a bold choice and making a name up. [name_m]Zaden[/name_m] sounds made up and when I say it out loud it sounds like satan.

Sorry, I’m not a fan.

I think it’s interesting and not at all unattractive. However, there is some stigma surrounding “made up” names that tend to be less respected, so you might want to consider that as a possible issue.
Middle names are so common these days, it’s almost a shame not to have one! Some suggestions of mine that relate to history are [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] ([name_m]Edison[/name_m], [name_u]Dylan[/name_u] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]), [name_m]Graham[/name_m], [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] ([name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]Graham[/name_m] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]), and [name_m]William[/name_m] ([name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m]).
[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this was helpful!

Not my style - less because it could be perceived as ‘made-up’ than because it sounds like all the [name_u]Jayden[/name_u], [name_u]Kayden[/name_u], [name_m]Raiden[/name_m] names, which seem ubiquitous at the moment.

There was an interesting post a few months ago about how not having a middle name is actually quite problematic, and some companies etc. will just put an “X” if you don’t have one when adding you to their database. So best to give one I think, and I think [name_u]Emerson[/name_u] is a great choice!

[name_f]Do[/name_f] any other Z names take your fancy - such as:
[name_m]Zachary[/name_m]
[name_m]Zubin[/name_m]
[name_m]Zev[/name_m]
[name_m]Zafir[/name_m]
[name_m]Zimri[/name_m]
[name_m]Zeke[/name_m]
[name_m]Zorion[/name_m]
[name_m]Zamiel[/name_m]
[name_m]Zane[/name_m]
[name_m]Zed[/name_m]

Thank you so much! It is really interesting to see the range of thoughts on this.

I used to love the name [name_u]Aiden[/name_u], but then I started seeing it EVERYWHERE. Soon after followed the [name_u]Jayden[/name_u], [name_u]Brayden[/name_u],and [name_m]Caden[/name_m], crew. At this point, even though [name_m]Zaden[/name_m] isn’t a bad name at all, I think he would end up in a classroom full of other “aden, aiden, ayden” ending names.
Also, I love middle names. I can’t imagine not giving one. Each of my kids has two middle names! [name_m]Emmerson[/name_m] is an excellent middle choice :slight_smile:

It is a legit Arabic name, but I agree that it falls into trendy aiden rhyming names that are ridiculously over used

I group it in with the [name_u]Brayden[/name_u]/[name_m]Caiden[/name_m]/[name_u]Jayden[/name_u] trend so cannot get on board.

I think that if you are going to use a recently-invented name, you really have to at least go with the standard spelling of it, so that would be [name_m]Zaiden[/name_m] (#347 in 2014). I think history and meaning is one of the most important aspects of a name, so it having neither would be a big deal for me. But as far as that type of name goes, it’s not bad; an acquaintance’s son is named [name_m]Zaiden[/name_m] and it works on him. I’d still prefer [name_m]Zachary[/name_m] or [name_m]Xander[/name_m] or [name_m]Xavier[/name_m] for the z- sound.

[name_m]Zaden[/name_m] sounds super cool to me. I’ve never heard it before, but it sounds like a usable name to me! I would definitely use a middle name… something more classic. I personally like honor names for middles. What about your hubby’s name? or a varient or your name? [name_u]Emerson[/name_u] is cool too… or someone in your family or a hero you look up to

It does sound like Satan. It’s also reminding me of [name_f]Zelda[/name_f]. I know a couple of people with no middle names who both wish they did have them.