Testing the waters with my names... ;-)

[name]Hi[/name] there!
My name is [name]Sherri[/name] & my family’s expecting baby #3 in about 20 days! :slight_smile: The baby will be a delivery surprise… and we haven’t been sharing our name choices with friends or family 'cuz we did the 2nd time around and I was just miserable for WEEKS with all the thoughtless comments made about our choice.

BUT… I can help but want to tell SOMEONE… and I can take the opinions of strangers MUCH better than I can from family & close friends… so here goes!

My husband & I are BIG fans of using family names or derivations thereof…

Our daughter is 7 and her name is [name]Samantha[/name] [name]Leigh[/name], (loosely) named after her Great-Grandfathers [name]Samuel[/name] & [name]Robert[/name] [name]Lee[/name].

Our son is 4 and his name is [name]Lawrence[/name] [name]Jay[/name], named after his Grandfathers, [name]Larry[/name] & [name]Jay[/name].

They both go by their nicknames (which we are also fans of) [name]Sammi[/name] & [name]Lawrie[/name]. :slight_smile:

So… the names that have been stuck in my brain for quite a while for this new little one are…

For a girl: [name]Melinda[/name] [name]Kay[/name], after Grandmothers [name]Linda[/name] & [name]Debra[/name] [name]Kay[/name] and…

For a boy: [name]Rowen[/name] [name]Everett[/name], after Great-Grandmothers [name]Rowena[/name] & [name]Evelyn[/name].

With nicknames of [name]Ellie[/name] and [name]Rhett[/name].

What do ya’ll think??? ([name]Don[/name]'t be TOO cruel!) LOL

I love the combo [name]Rowen[/name] [name]Everett[/name] with the nn [name]Rhett[/name]. Adorable little girl name that will also be a great name for when she grows into a woman.

Well [name]Rowan[/name] and [name]Everett[/name] are two of my favorite names so that one gets high marks from me!!!

As for [name]Melinda[/name] [name]Kay[/name]… I love [name]Kay[/name] but am not crazy about [name]Melinda[/name]. I like that it honors linda but it doesn’t feel as fresh as your other kids names to me.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Rosalind[/name] [name]Kay[/name]???

I also love [name]Rowan[/name] for a girl and think [name]Rowan[/name] [name]Kay[/name] is adorable! NN could be Rowie!

Congrats!

First of all, I love [name]Samantha[/name] and [name]Lawrence[/name], and they go very well together - those were great choices!
I think both [name]Melinda[/name] and [name]Rowen[/name] go well with those names, too, and it’s nice that you’re keeping up the tradition of using family-based names.
[name]Melinda[/name] [name]Kay[/name] - I adore [name]Melinda[/name], and it flows well with [name]Kay[/name]. [name]Ellie[/name] is a lovely nn too, although I should think you’ll get a lot of people calling her [name]Mel[/name] when they first meet her.
[name]Rowen[/name] [name]Everett[/name] - both nice names. I am personally not too fond of the nn [name]Rhett[/name], but I can see how people like it. I have always seen [name]Rowen[/name] spelt [name]Rowan[/name], though?

I always have to write to support [name]Rowan[/name] as a boy’s name! :slight_smile:

I do prefer the -an spelling personally and still feel it would honor Grandma [name]Rowena[/name]. But -en doesn’t really bother me much. I think the combo with [name]Everett[/name] is great too! One thought-- the softness of both names and the -ett ending of [name]Everett[/name] could cause some (like a previous poster) to think [name]Rowen[/name] [name]Everette[/name] was a girl.

[name]Rhett[/name] is also a very nice nickname!

[name]Melinda[/name] [name]Kay[/name] is not my favorite, but it flows nicely and I do think it fits very nicely with your children’s names! [name]Love[/name] the nickname [name]Ellie[/name]!

Overall, I think you have some great names picked out! :slight_smile:
Blessings on you and your new little one!

I love the nick name [name]Rhett[/name]!!!
Good names, all around!
Good luck!

Wow! I’m impressed with how well thought out your kids’ and prospective names are. I like them all very much and think they all go well together! I’m left wondering what thoughtless comments your family could possibly had for you for comming up with such lovely and thoughtful names. I guess you can’t please everyone!

Our daughter is 7 and her name is [name]Samantha[/name] [name]Leigh[/name], (loosely) named after her Great-Grandfathers [name]Samuel[/name] & [name]Robert[/name] [name]Lee[/name]. - That’s a pretty name!

Our son is 4 and his name is [name]Lawrence[/name] [name]Jay[/name], named after his Grandfathers, [name]Larry[/name] & [name]Jay[/name]. I love the name [name]Lawrence[/name] because of the film “[name]Lawrence[/name] of [name]Arabia[/name]”.

They both go by their nicknames (which we are also fans of) [name]Sammi[/name] & [name]Lawrie[/name]. :slight_smile:

For a girl: [name]Melinda[/name] [name]Kay[/name], after Grandmothers [name]Linda[/name] & [name]Debra[/name] [name]Kay[/name] and… -[name]Melinda[/name] is really dated. But I do think it’s very pretty. [name]Kay[/name] is cute! [name]How[/name] about [name]Melina[/name], [name]Melisende[/name], or [name]Millicent[/name] nn [name]Millie[/name] instead of [name]Melinda[/name]?

For a boy: [name]Rowen[/name] [name]Everett[/name], after Great-Grandmothers [name]Rowena[/name] & [name]Evelyn[/name]. I love [name]Rowan[/name] spelled with an “a” instead of an “e”. [name]Rowan[/name] makes me think of the Archbishop of Canterbury. His name is [name]Rowan[/name] [name]Williams[/name], I think. He looks like a very kind man.

With nicknames of [name]Ellie[/name] and [name]Rhett[/name]. [name]Ellie[/name] is extremely popular, but very, very pretty. I love [name]Rhett[/name] because it is so handsome and unusual.

Our daughter is 7 and her name is [name]Samantha[/name] [name]Leigh[/name], (loosely) named after her Great-Grandfathers [name]Samuel[/name] & [name]Robert[/name] [name]Lee[/name]. - That’s a pretty name!

Our son is 4 and his name is [name]Lawrence[/name] [name]Jay[/name], named after his Grandfathers, [name]Larry[/name] & [name]Jay[/name]. I love the name [name]Lawrence[/name] because of the film “[name]Lawrence[/name] of [name]Arabia[/name]”.

For a girl: [name]Melinda[/name] [name]Kay[/name], after Grandmothers [name]Linda[/name] & [name]Debra[/name] [name]Kay[/name] and… -[name]Melinda[/name] is really dated. But I do think it’s very pretty. [name]Kay[/name] is cute! [name]How[/name] about [name]Melina[/name], [name]Melisende[/name], or [name]Millicent[/name] nn [name]Millie[/name] instead of [name]Melinda[/name]?

For a boy: [name]Rowen[/name] [name]Everett[/name], after Great-Grandmothers [name]Rowena[/name] & [name]Evelyn[/name]. I love [name]Rowan[/name] spelled with an “a” instead of an “e”. [name]Rowan[/name] makes me think of the Archbishop of Canterbury. His name is [name]Rowan[/name] [name]Williams[/name], I think. He looks like a very kind man.

With nicknames of [name]Ellie[/name] and [name]Rhett[/name]. [name]Ellie[/name] is extremely popular, but very, very pretty. I love [name]Rhett[/name] because it is so handsome and unusual.

I do like [name]Rowen[/name] [name]Everett[/name] - is there a reason you want to spell it with an ‘e’ instead of an ‘a’? [name]Just[/name] curious.

I’m the same - I don’t love [name]Melinda[/name] but I think [name]Melinda[/name] [name]Kay[/name] is nice and the nn is cute for both names.

I absolutely love them both!!! I slightly prefer the -an spelling of [name]Rowen[/name], but really, you can’t go wrong :slight_smile: I love that your babies’ names have such wondrous family meaning!

I love how well you’ve honored your family!

I think the spelling of [name]Rowen[/name] with an ‘e’ is fine, I don’t think the name is popular enough for most people to assume that it’s usually spelled with an ‘a’. I do think it would still honor [name]Rowena[/name] just as well is spelled with an ‘a’ if you so choose. [name]Rowen[/name] [name]Everett[/name] nn [name]Rhett[/name] is so cute! Why not name him [name]Everett[/name] [name]Rowan[/name], though if he’ll be using [name]Rhett[/name]? Either combo sounds nice to me.

[name]Melinda[/name] [name]Kay[/name]- This is cute! I know a lot of people find [name]Melinda[/name] dated, but I just don’t think it was widespread enough to feel truly dated (like [name]Jennifer[/name], say). It seems like it would be more natural to call her [name]Mellie[/name] (my friend is named [name]Melina[/name], which I think is an awesome name that would also honor [name]Linda[/name], and her family calls her [name]Mellie[/name]… I love it!) Anyway, [name]Ellie[/name] is super adorable too, and I really fell in love with it after I saw the movie ‘Up’.

I love [name]Rowen[/name] [name]Everett[/name] what a great name you picked and love the nickname!
[name]Melinda[/name] isn’t my fav name but [name]Kay[/name] is pretty with it and I do like the nickname…I like the idea [name]Rowen[/name] for a girls name, I like the name [name]Rowena[/name]!

[name]Just[/name] some ideas I found playing with [name]Rowena[/name] & [name]Evelyn[/name] & [name]Linda[/name] & [name]Debra[/name] [name]Kay[/name]

[name]Rowena[/name] [name]Kay[/name]
[name]Rowen[/name] [name]Kay[/name]
[name]Eve[/name] [name]Rowena[/name]
[name]Eve[/name] [name]Rowen[/name] [name]Kay[/name]
[name]Rowen[/name] [name]Melinda[/name]
[name]Rowena[/name] [name]Kaylin[/name]
[name]Eve[/name] [name]Kaylin[/name]

You have great family names, I can see why you love to use them…good luck to you : )