Thais?

See the results of this poll: What do you think of the name Thais?

Respondents: 54 (This poll is closed)

• I love it! : 9 (17%)
  • I like it! : 20 (37%)
  • I dislike it. : 20 (37%)
  • I hate it.: 5 (9%)

Yay, like it! I know a [name_f]Thais[/name_f]. She’s in her 30’s.

From your signature, I think [name_f]Thais[/name_f] and [name_m]Adrian[/name_m], [name_f]Thais[/name_f] and [name_f]Margo[/name_f] and [name_f]Thais[/name_f] and [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] sound the most “international”.

Thanks, @undertherainbow! I like your suggestions, especially the pairing of [name_f]Margo[/name_f] with [name_f]Thais[/name_f].

I know a girl named [name_f]Thais[/name_f], and she’s currently a freshman in college. I believe her family is Spanish and [name_m]French[/name_m]. I don’t think she’s had any major problems with pronunciation.

I have a friend in her 40s with this name, but she pronounces it [name_m]Thay[/name_m]-iss (although it’s fine if people say Tie-EEs). I like [name_f]Thais[/name_f] and [name_f]Margo[/name_f], [name_u]Simone[/name_u], or [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f].

Some possible combinations:

[name_f]Thais[/name_f] [name_f]Camille[/name_f]
[name_f]Thais[/name_f] [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f]
[name_f]Thais[/name_f] [name_f]Vera[/name_f]
[name_f]Thais[/name_f] [name_f]Romilly[/name_f]
[name_f]Thais[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Thais[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]

I think it looks pretty but the pronounciation isn’t.

This is a fairly common name in [name_u]Brazil[/name_u], spelled either with a Th ([name_f]Thais[/name_f]) or just a T ([name_f]Tais[/name_f]). In fact, I have an aunt named this. However, because in English we pronounce Th with a thhh sound, if you want the tie-EES pronunciation (which, I will add, is the correct one) I would suggest using the [name_f]Tais[/name_f] spelling. You may also want to consider adding the accent on the I (in both spellings), because that is what actually indicates how it is supposed to be pronounced.