That Gut-Wrenching Feeling When You See YOUR Name

I do know what you mean, but hope you take comfort in knowing – as Irisrose pointed out – just because a poster loves a particular name doesn’t mean that he or she will ever actually use it.

Haha, I know what you mean. I see my name considered occasionally on here and I can never believe it, I don’t think it would be good for a modern baby.

I don’t feel like this but I can understand why you feel like this as it seems that, nowadays, a lot of parent are trying to find a ‘unique’ name for their child. Unfortunately, there really isn’t such a thing as a unique name, unless you make something else up that no one else likes!!
Personally, I like it when other berries like a name that I am considering as I think a lot of posters here have excellent taste and I value their opinions!

I think you have to try to get away from wanting ‘your name’ to be unique and just hope that it remains relatively unusual. I think it is more important to make sure that you select a name which you (and your partner) love and feel reflects the characteristics you imagine your child having!
As others have already said, nameberry doesn’t really reflect what is currently popular so don’t be to despondent :slight_smile:

I’m the type of person who would be happy to see that a name I really love is loved by the masses as well. So, it’s hard for me to relate, but I would say just love your name and use it no matter how popular it is. I was seriously considering [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Sophia[/name], and [name]Isabella[/name], despite their popularity. And my previous favorite name, [name]Charlotte[/name], is now super popular.

It almost gets to the point you hope to love the one name everyone else hates, doesn’t it? But that wouldn’t be fair to little [name]Bertha[/name]/[name]Gertrude[/name]/[name]Olga[/name], now would it? No, best to name her what you will and pray she’ll make the name her own!

Haha, I know what you mean. I see my name considered occasionally on here and I can never believe it, I don’t think it would be good for a modern baby.[/quote]

My name, [name]Winifred[/name], pops up occasionally in suggestions, but I haven’t seen anyone seriously consider it. As it was such an odd name for someone of my generation to have (born in the 80s), and vintage names are coming back in vogue, I don’t think it would be an awful choice … I did laugh when I saw someone asking the question “Is [name]Alice[/name] ready for a comeback?”, though. [name]Alice[/name] is my middle, and I went by it for a couple of years as a teenager. I actually reverted to [name]Winnie[/name] because [name]Alice[/name] was already getting so popular here in [name]England[/name], so it was hilarious for me that some still consider it shocking :slight_smile:

Because I have drummed out names for so many children on here, now (five!), my names are no longer really secret. But, I do find myself tempted sometimes to vote for the other name if it is a choice between a name I have used and a name I haven’t … [name]Just[/name] so that my little one will be that bit more unique! It’s silly, I know!