That one name you love that breaks all your “rules”...

I was thinking about the name [name_f]Neve[/name_f] earlier, which I love. [name_f]Niamh[/name_f], not so much. It’s not that I prefer the”phonetic” (English) spelling for ease — I much prefer [name_f]Caoimhe[/name_f] to [name_u]Keeva[/name_u], for example, and [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] to [name_m]Shamus[/name_m] — but [name_f]Neve[/name_f] just looks so much cleaner, lighter, prettier to me.

I’m usually pretty anti Anglicization of foreign names, especially simple and fairly well-known ones like [name_f]Niamh[/name_f], but… I just much prefer [name_f]Neve[/name_f].

What names do you love that totally break all of your ordinary rules/preferences? I can’t be the only hypocrite here!

[name_f]Lucia[/name_f] [name_f]Louise[/name_f] - full combo

Also [name_f]Rosabelle[/name_f] is too trendy looking, but I do like it more than I should

[name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] - I normally cannot stand alliterative names. But I just can’t help myself with this one. It’s too gorgeous.

All my boys are called typical English names [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_m]George[/name_m] and [name_m]Jack[/name_m] but we are expecting boy girl twins in a few months time and I really wanted to call the girl [name_u]Tate[/name_u]. Going to have to settle for it as a middle name instead :frowning:

I have a [name_f]Neve[/name_f] type of situation with [name_f]Zara[/name_f], I loooooove [name_f]Zara[/name_f], while [name_f]Sara[/name_f] doesn’t do even nearly as much for me even though I too try to avoid what is essentially a different spelling of a well established name. Another one of my rules is that I try to go for names which aren’t necessarily linguistically bound to one culture or language, but nonetheless I have [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_m]Rooney[/name_m] on my list.

Totally agree with you on [name_f]Neve[/name_f]. [name_f]Niamh[/name_f] wouldn’t work where I live, but [name_f]Neve[/name_f] - perfect!

I usually hate -son ending names. [name_m]Jackson[/name_m], [name_u]Madison[/name_u], [name_u]Addison[/name_u], [name_u]Carson[/name_u], and [name_m]Greyson[/name_m] sound stupid and I absolutely hate them but lately, I’ve been loving [name_u]Hudson[/name_u], [name_u]Emerson[/name_u], [name_m]Dawson[/name_m], and [name_m]Pearson[/name_m] lmao.

I adore [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]. It does not match any of the other names I generally like, but I can’t help myself.

I can only think of two off the top of my head—I’m generally very anti- unisex names on girls and misspelled names in general, but I find myself super loving [name_f]Jocelyn[/name_f] and [name_f]Claira[/name_f] over the years!

Admittedly, I vastly prefer just [name_f]Claire[/name_f], but I like [name_f]Claira[/name_f] SO much more than [name_f]Clara[/name_f]… (I know [name_f]Clara[/name_f] is said different ways in other countries, but [name_f]Clara[/name_f] here is like [name_f]Claire[/name_f]-ah…)

I used to have strict “rules” for names until I started liking so many names that broke those “rules” that it felt ridiculous to have them anymore (most notably, my unisex/boy-names-on-girls rule, which is very much history since [name_u]Parker[/name_u] and [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] consistently make my girls’ top 10).

For now, the only name on my list that breaks my rules is [name_f]Mila[/name_f]. I just can’t replace her but I normally don’t add top 100 names to my list. She ranks #30, which kills me.

[name_f]Isla[/name_f]! I know that most of the names I like can be seen as trendy or hipster, I guess, but I never thought I’d fall for a name that flew up the charts so much.

For a boy, [name_m]Huxley[/name_m] is one. Our surname starts with an H and the alliteration would normally bother me, but I think it works in this case! Too bad DH isn’t a fan.

Probably [name_f]Aaliyah[/name_f] or [name_f]Destiny[/name_f]…they’re quite tryndee names that don’t fit in with names like [name_f]Catalina[/name_f] or Scholastica, people call them trashy and they are a little bit “cheesy” sounding but I just love them they sound so passionate and warm and I love the nicknames [name_f]Lili[/name_f] and [name_u]Desi[/name_u] for them ooFT

[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]. I love it because of Gone With the Wind, but it’s so trailer park trash sounding.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f]. It’s one syllable with no real nickname I have been able to find, which is way out of the norm of my girl’s names. Growing up with a short, popular name with no nickname, it is normally a top priority of mine to find the opposite. [name_f]Virtue[/name_f] names are also really not my style.

But [name_f]Hope[/name_f] has been sticking with me for a while now.

I mostly can’t stand surname names and overtly biblical names, but I really like [name_m]Roarke[/name_m] and [name_f]Keturah[/name_f].

@ellalyn23 You’ve just reminded me of another one: [name_m]Samson[/name_m]! I adore it even though -son names are usually not my thing at all. It’s not actually a “son of” name etymologically, but it certainly looks and sounds like one!

Also [name_u]Hadley[/name_u] for a girl. It’s modern, trendy, surnamey, ends in -ley, has “gone to the girls” in a big way… but I find it so smart and peppy. I think the association with the journalist [name_u]Hadley[/name_u] [name_m]Freeman[/name_m] helps.

For me it’s [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u]. I usually dislike most y ending names, I find them too modern and trendy and totally opposite to my usual style. But I just love it, for a boy or a girl.

[name_f]Zoey[/name_f]. A completely modern spelling that I just can’t help but find revoltingly cute, like [name_u]Joey[/name_u]. Somehow I like it more than [name_f]Zoe[/name_f], which I don’t like to admit.

[name_u]Kimberly[/name_u] is a little similar. [name_f]Kimberley[/name_f] is arbitrary enough in its roots, and dropping the ‘e’ is just something that parents in the 80s/90s did to make it look pretty. But I like both spellings, especially if it makes it consistent with the spelling of another name (e.g. [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] [name_u]Kimberly[/name_u]).

[name_m]Ah[/name_m] well.

[name_m]Caspian[/name_m]’s definitely the name that gives me the most grief in terms of names I actually want to use someday. He doesn’t break many rules, but he does break my biggest one (for will be used names) which is no names in the top 1000. Not only is he in the top 1000, but he’s rising fast, whilst my other loves are well below and unlikely to go anywhere. I haven’t seriously considered replacing him, I just try to ignore it.

Probably [name_u]Vesper[/name_u]. My taste tends to lean toward traditional names with history, but [name_u]Vesper[/name_u] is a fairly modern word name.

Oh, and [name_m]Donovan[/name_m] for boys. Surname names are not my style at all, but I just really like the way [name_m]Donovan[/name_m] sounds.