The 5 C's

Cedora, Cedrus, [name_f]Cypress[/name_f], [name_f]Clematis[/name_f], [name_f]Columbine[/name_f]…

Thoughts?

I have known of two Cedoras in my home town, both artists in the same family. I love the lilting sound of the name plus as I said I associate it with creative women. Not wild about Dora or Dorrie, but love Eudora and Doris as well.

I used to work with a woman named Cedrus in Berkeley, not sure if her name existed beyond her? Reminds me of cedar trees, an evocative name.

I have never known a Cypress but I think the tree, word, and name are beautiful.

Clematis, never known one, but prefer the American pronunciation as the British makes it sound like a woman’s body part.

And Columbine, one of my favorite cottage garden flowers, I think it’s time we take that name back.

PS I forgot another flower name, Calendula, which is fun to say, the tree Catalpa, also fun to say, and Corsica, which sounds adventuresome to me.

I’m not really a fan of any of these names and I don’t know where you’re from but in the U.S. [name_f]Columbine[/name_f] is known as one of the most infamous school shootings in the nation so I strongly discourage that one. It just brings forth a bunch of negative connotations if you live in the U.S. at least.

[name_f]Columbine[/name_f] is also a gorgeous flower and it was that for many years before the hideous shooting. I tend to favor taking back names from their nasty associations. [name_m]Adolf[/name_m], no, but [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] and [name_f]Columbine[/name_f], yes. In my opinion. Others can disagree, which is fine.

I agree With PP these just aren’t my style and I wouldn’t use columbine as well as [name_f]Clematis[/name_f] (I think of chlamydia because my mom accidentally called our [name_f]Clematis[/name_f] flowers Chlamydia)
The best one is [name_f]Cypress[/name_f].

The chlamydia/clematis story is hysterical! :slight_smile:

I agree with PP about [name_f]Columbine[/name_f]. I’m not in the U.S. and I still associate it with the shootings also. I’m intrigued by the idea of “taking it back” because it would take a lot of bravery for a parent to use it and perhaps someone very famous/popular to make it popular enough to at least dilute the connotations.

I like Cedora and I love [name_f]Cypress[/name_f].

Interestingly, I always first associate [name_f]Columbine[/name_f] with the Commedia dell’[name_m]Arte[/name_m] character and it is only when people remind me of the gun massacre that I remember.

My preference is for [name_f]Cypress[/name_f]. ([name_f]Clematis[/name_f] is a gorgeous flower, but I always immediately think ""poisonous - I have a similar response to Oleander - and therefore I’d never use it). The others just don’t do anything for me, but there’s nothing wrong with them.

I quite like [name_f]Cypress[/name_f], [name_f]Columbine[/name_f] (even I know of the negative association with this one being in Australia - not as strong here in general though) & [name_f]Corsica[/name_f]. I’m just not too keen on the look or sound of any of the others myself, not as given names at least.

What are your thoughts on Celandine - a combination of sorts of Calendula & [name_f]Columbine[/name_f] + floral?

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Corsica[/name_f] and [name_f]Cypress[/name_f].

I think you are very right in what you say about ‘taking a name back.’ However, it might be a better idea to give this name to a pet rather than a daughter. [name_u]Baby[/name_u] steps first maybe. Xxx

Cedora brings to mind the word ‘seduce’ or even ‘sedate’. The ‘sed’ sound is something I’ve rarely come across.
I do like [name_f]Corsica[/name_f] and [name_f]Cypress[/name_f].
[name_f]Clematis[/name_f] is cute, with nicknames [name_u]Clem[/name_u] or [name_u]Mattie[/name_u]. It’s iffy as a first name, but it’d be perfect as a middle name.
[name_f]Columbine[/name_f], I’m afraid is something that will have to wait. You have excellent intentions with wanting to reclaim the name, but while others might look at it in disbelief and/or confusion, some might be downright offended. And the girl who bears that name will have a lifetime of questions surrounding it. It’s a little worse than naming someone [name_f]Katrina[/name_f]. There’s just too much heaviness surrounding the name. (I’m not trying to offend, but merely to shed a little light). I agree with the pp, a pet named [name_f]Columbine[/name_f] would fly under the radar a bit better.

You could combine the best of [name_f]Clematis[/name_f] and [name_f]Columbine[/name_f] with [name_f]Clementine[/name_f].

I love Celandine! Is that a plant as well? It reminds me of [name_m]Celadon[/name_m], which I love for a male.

I understand. And as I’m 53, I’m not naming actual children. Would I name my daughter [name_f]Columbine[/name_f] now? Probably not, as I love other names far more, but I wouldn’t be offended if someone did. I would assume she loved the flower and the word and was tired of sick freaks ruining perfectly good names. There’s a power in taking names back, but if it happens with [name_f]Columbine[/name_f] it will start slowly, as in the poster who suggested it as a dog or cat name.

So no more takers on Cedora, Cedrus, [name_f]Cypress[/name_f], [name_f]Clematis[/name_f], [name_f]Columbine[/name_f], Calendula, Catalpa, [name_f]Corsica[/name_f]? And oops, I forgot [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f], [name_f]Clemence[/name_f], and [name_f]Clemency[/name_f]!

I happen to really like the name [name_f]Columbine[/name_f] and can even imagine myself using it. I have a thing for “obscure” botannical names… Although the first thing I thought of when reading [name_f]Columbine[/name_f] was the Venetian and [name_m]French[/name_m] carnivals where you have the traditional characters of Harlequin, [name_m]Pierrot[/name_m], [name_f]Colombine[/name_f] (my prefered spelling) among others. It’s also great to find someone who likes the name Calendula just like me. [name_f]Corsica[/name_f] is lovely and I think of the very blue mediterranean sea.

Have you ever heard of the flower-name [name_f]Camellia[/name_f]?

At last! Someone else who likes [name_f]Columbine[/name_f]. I actually think [name_f]Colombine[/name_f] would be a great spelling option to differentiate between the school shooting location and the name.

Calendula is very fun to say. :slight_smile:

[name_f]Corsica[/name_f], like [name_f]Capri[/name_f] or [name_f]Geneva[/name_f], makes me feel deliciously like I am traveling in Europe.

[name_f]Camellia[/name_f] is a gorgeous flower and I grow them. As a name it unfortunately reminds me of [name_m]Prince[/name_m] [name_m]Charles[/name_m]’ [name_f]Camilla[/name_f] who I’ve always detested. [name_f]Calla[/name_f] is lovely though.

I like [name_f]Columbine[/name_f] though that’s kinda a name still marred in tragedy. If you think you can rise above it more power to you. You mentioned you like the name [name_f]Eudora[/name_f] and frankly I like that name better than either of the others.

Cedora is the best, but none of these are really my style. I do like the sound of Cedora. I would consider it a cousin of [name_f]Eudora[/name_f] (which I think is a bit stuffy). Cedora is a nice alternative.

Also, regardless of its association (though extremely negative thus making it unusable in my opinion), [name_f]Columbine[/name_f] just isn’t nice sounding.

[name_f]Eudora[/name_f] is great. I like [name_u]Flannery[/name_u] [name_f]Eudora[/name_f] or [name_f]Eudora[/name_f] [name_u]Flannery[/name_u] too for two of our greatest writers. :slight_smile: I also wish [name_f]Edna[/name_f] and [name_f]Millay[/name_f] would get more attention.

I’m sure [name_f]Columbine[/name_f] sounds good to me b.c. they have been my favorite flowering plant since I was tiny. Gardening can really change how one feels about names!

Another [name_f]Columbine[/name_f] lover here ^^ I wouldn’t use her, but she’s stunning! [name_f]Colombine[/name_f] slightly removes her from the negative associations, but not far enough I think. Unless you’re [name_m]French[/name_m]?
[name_u]Columba[/name_u] is on my list for either gender.

Wouldn’t do [name_f]Clematis[/name_f], although I agree it’s lovely.
[name_f]Cypress[/name_f] and Cedrus sound like boys names to me, and I would still prefer [name_u]Cedar[/name_u] or [name_u]Sequoia[/name_u] or [name_m]Cyprian[/name_m].

• dora names seldom win me over, Cedora is no exception I’m afraid.
    Calendula is great, I have her on my middle name list ^^
    Catalpa is unappealing to me and I try to stay away from place names, so [name_f]Corsica[/name_f] is not for me…
    [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f] was on and off my list for a while, in the end I decided that if I wanted to use such a complicated name I would go with something dearer to my heart. Not so fond of the flower…
    I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Clemency[/name_f], but [name_f]Clemence[/name_f] is a little blah in comparison.
    Celandine is an excellent suggestion, it’s also a floral name. [name_f]Camellia[/name_f] is great as well.
    Other unusual C nature names are Comfrey, Costmary, [name_u]Clove[/name_u] and [name_f]Clary[/name_f]. There’s Caraway as well, but I’m not as fond of the spice.
    And there’s Campion, Chamomile, Cloudberry, [name_f]Clover[/name_f], Cornflower, Coriander, [name_m]Cotton[/name_m] and Cress.
    This thread also reminded me of the time when I adored Clandestine :stuck_out_tongue: