The "B" List

Please talk me into or out of my favorite B’s :):

[ul]

[/ul]

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_f]Briar[/name_f], [name_f]Betsy[/name_f]/[name_f]Betsey[/name_f], and [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Briar[/name_f] has a modern powerful feel to her, but she’s also got the sweet femininity of [name_f]Briar[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] (Sleeping Beauty). [name_f]Briar[/name_f] is short enough to not need a nickname, but [name_f]Brie[/name_f] is fun and spunky. I would imagine [name_f]Briar[/name_f] as a creative, bright, vibrant character, and I think she pairs well with a strong classic middle name, something like [name_f]Briar[/name_f] [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] or [name_f]Briar[/name_f] [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f]. [name_f]Betsy[/name_f] is sassy, peppy, yet decidedly vintage. I think it harkens back to a softer, quieter, more peaceful time, but rather has a vibrant, playful image in today’s society, a la [name_f]Betsey[/name_f] [name_m]Johnson[/name_m]. I really can’t decide which spelling I prefer, but both are fun, not frumpy like other vintage nicknames can sometimes be. If [name_f]Edie[/name_f] and [name_f]Evie[/name_f] are coming back, [name_f]Betsy[/name_f]/[name_f]Betsey[/name_f] sure can, too! I like [name_f]Betsy[/name_f] with a sweet and charming middle name, such as [name_f]Betsy[/name_f] [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] or [name_f]Betsy[/name_f] [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f], but I also think you could dress her up with a vivacious middle name like [name_f]Betsy[/name_f] [name_f]Lucinda[/name_f] or [name_f]Betsy[/name_f] [name_f]Delphine[/name_f]. Finally, [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] is romantic yet strong. I love [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m], and I love the zesty X ending of [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] over [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]. It’s got charm and character. [name_f]Bea[/name_f] is one of my favorite nicknames, but [name_f]Beah[/name_f] is an unusual twist. [name_f]Trix[/name_f] and [name_f]Trixie[/name_f] have a certain spunk to them, too. I love [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] with a vintage name, like [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u] or [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f], even [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Lyda[/name_f] for a different [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] twist. I can also see [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] with a more modern name, a la [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u] or [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_u]Arden[/name_u], or even something like [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Juno[/name_f].

Thank you so much, @lemon, for taking the time to provide your characteristic refreshingly unique style of feedback.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourites are [name_f]Bathsheba[/name_f], [name_f]Bedelia[/name_f], [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] and [name_f]Briar[/name_f]. B is one of my favourite letters! I love how it’s spunky and soft at the same time.

[name_f]Bathsheba[/name_f] - I have always been fascinated by [name_f]Bathsheba[/name_f]. Recently when I watched ‘Beasts of the Southern [name_m]Wild[/name_m]’ where there’s an awesome teacher-lady called [name_f]Bathsheba[/name_f] it really came to life for me and became more of a possibility rather than a GP. I imagina a [name_f]Bathsheba[/name_f] would be very stubborn and always choose her own path. A powerful name. I also really love the Spanish Betsabé, it has gorgeous rhythm it’s like a dance all on its own. I would also like to mention that you could use [name_f]Betsy[/name_f] as a nickname for either.

[name_f]Bedelia[/name_f] - I had to look it up to remember why I like it so much, I was so happy to see it and I couldn’t remember why, it’s because of the fire connection through [name_f]Bridget[/name_f]. I have a thing for fire-related names. It’s nice, but it’s mostly the fire thing that I love about it, and I would personally choose [name_f]Brigid[/name_f]. Or [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f].

[name_f]Blythe[/name_f] - I must admit I like [name_f]Blithe[/name_f] a little better, but [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] is beautiful as well. I love the meaning and the airy sound. Makes me think of tiny, white wildflowers for some reason, there’s a specific flower I have in mind but I have no idea what it’s called… I know it’s not babys breath, but they look similar to how babys breath looks in the wild, all in a tangle only with even smaller flowers. When trying to come up with something more to say, it strikes me that I actually like [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] as a middle name more than a first.

[name_f]Briar[/name_f] - While I love [name_f]Briar[/name_f] for either gender, I find myself considering it more for a girl than a boy, this one usually in the middle as well. I think my problem is that if [name_f]Briar[/name_f] is used as a first it sort of sets a very specific theme for all the other names in a potential sibset. (The only name from the A-list that works as a first name next to [name_f]Briar[/name_f] for me is [name_f]Audra[/name_f].) It’s sort of a name with two sides, the roses and the thorns. I love the rougher thorny part the most which is why I would pair it with [name_f]Audra[/name_f].

[name_f]Betsy[/name_f] - I never liked [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] or [name_f]Beth[/name_f] or [name_f]Liz[/name_f], [name_f]Betsy[/name_f] is too connected to those for me to like it. It’s also too gum-drop sweet. It really makes me think of multi-coloured candy, or a girl with a huge, swirly-rainbow lollipop stuck to her tongue, or a cow. It’s just not serious enough for me, way too cute. (Which is why, although I suggested it earlier, I don’t like [name_f]Betsy[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Bathsheba[/name_f], I think [name_f]Betsy[/name_f] would seriously diminish [name_f]Bathsheba[/name_f]'s power. I feel the same about a [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] nicknamed [name_f]Posy[/name_f] which I used to love but now really hate…)

[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] - is charming, but again a name-nerd staple, she’s everywhere and I’ve grown tired of her. Viatrix is cooler, but it’s also just two letters away so it’s not really different enough. Same with [name_f]Beatriz[/name_f], lovely but still too much the same… I like [name_m]Bix[/name_m], [name_u]Bay[/name_u] or [name_f]Bea[/name_f] (pronounced [name_f]BEE[/name_f]-uh) best for nicknames.
I forgot [name_f]Behati[/name_f], she’s the best variant! I love [name_f]Behati[/name_f], and she’s different enough!
For names with x in them, [name_f]Lux[/name_f] and Rixende are my favourites ^^

[name_f]Bathsheba[/name_f]–Probably a big exotic/dramatic for every day life.
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]–[name_u]Love[/name_u] it! So bright, happy, fun!
[name_f]Bedelia[/name_f]–I just think of [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] [name_f]Bedelia[/name_f]. I’ll admit I don’t know the history of the name, so maybe it’s the singsongy-ness of that combo that throws me.
[name_f]Betsy[/name_f]–Very cute. I would want it as a nickname for [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], though.
[name_f]Blythe[/name_f]–[name_u]Love[/name_u] it! Warm, sophisticated, lovely.
[name_f]Briar[/name_f]–Interesting. [name_u]Unique[/name_u]. Not a soft name, but I like it.

B names, for the most part, don’t tend to enthuse me too much, for whatever reason. I’ve only a few on my long list and a couple on my short one.

Of yours, I love [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] (which is one of the ones on my short list, though I tend to lean toward the [name_f]Blithe[/name_f] spelling) who is just so simple, with a great strength and meaning and would suit a child of any age. I don’t mind [name_f]Briar[/name_f] - I do think it’s a little on the trendy side perhaps, but it does have a good strength to it which I think could be heightened if paired with a good, strong middle or first. [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] is very nice, though not something I myself am overly keen of. [name_f]Bathsheba[/name_f] I really want to like, and though I don’t mind it, there’s something about it that just doesn’t sit well with me.

@dearest - What a fantastically thorough response. Thank you so much for taking the time. Yes, “b” is both spunky and soft, isn’t it :). I, too, prefer always-breezy-[name_f]Blythe[/name_f] and partly-brazen-[name_f]Briar[/name_f] in the middle. [name_m]Thorny[/name_m] rose is a brilliant way to depict a strong yet feminine name. You are right about a nickname reducing a name’s strength; most of the time, I prefer a name’s long form.

@scarletsage - [name_u]Love[/name_u] your description of [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] as bright, happy and fun. The [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] [name_f]Bedelia[/name_f] association is what makes [name_f]Bedelia[/name_f] even more endearing to me than it might be otherwise :).

@sunniva - Oh dear, I’m afraid [name_f]Bathsheba[/name_f] is destined to remain a guilty pleasure.

I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], but that’s really the only one. [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] and [name_f]Briar[/name_f] are ok, just nms. The only b name besides [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] that I love is [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f]. B’s are the most difficult names [name_f]IMO[/name_f]!

@emsky - It warms my heart to see [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f] getting some love :).