The big deal with surnames as first names

Hey guys, so what’s the big deal with surnames as first names? Why are you so against it? I do not see it.

To me a name can be anything; it doesn’t matter if it’s traditionally a last name or whatever.

But what am I missing? I would like opinions from both sides.

I heard one person say it was because having a surname as a first name would be confusing, which I suppose I can see. Anything else? What are your favorite surname names?

I like when surnames are used that are actually from the person’s family line. I would use a variation of [name_u]Jameson[/name_u], since it is from my line, even if it is a common name for boys. Family is one of the most important things to me, so I would want to reflect that in the name. It’s also a tradition in the southern parts of the US, from my understanding, but that was using names from the family tree.

One of the cons is that I do think it’s disappointing when a surname ends up “belonging” to a certain sex (e.g., [name_u]Madison[/name_u], [name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u]) because most people see it as weird when a member of the other sex has it. Additionally, I don’t get the appeal if there’s no connection to the name; I realize there are a lot of names that are surnames and you can’t control for them all, but some names are very surname-y (-son, [name_m]Mac[/name_m]/Mc-). Also, it depends on the name, but it could create a sort of awkward name. [name_f]Imagine[/name_f] a girl named [name_u]Kennedy[/name_u] who was going to marry a guy with the last name [name_u]Kennedy[/name_u], if she changed her name she would be [name_u]Kennedy[/name_u] [name_u]Kennedy[/name_u] :smiley: an [name_f]Emily[/name_f]/[name_f]Athena[/name_f]/[name_u]Wren[/name_u] wouldn’t be as likely to have the problem. Finally, I just plain don’t like the surnames that mean “son of” to be on a girl; I always think of [name_m]Thor[/name_m] calling Agent Coulson “son of Coul”.

I don’t really see the big deal about it either, plenty of well-established names are also surnames. There are plenty of surname names I dislike, but it’s not really related to the fact that I usually see it as a last name.

It isn’t a big deal. I’m very much in agreement with this blog post on Nook of Names: Loading...

I suspect that one reason people don’t like them is because they’re a major trend, and we berries tend to reject trends out of hand and think of “trendy” as being a hugely negative thing (to be fair, in a names context you can make a convincing argument that it is.)

Personally, I have nothing against surnames-as-firsts, but I do hear them all the time and it’s difficult not to get tired of them. As a name nerd, I also sometimes feel this slight twinge of “you wasted an opportunity to use an awesome first name!” Still, I have a couple surname names on my list.