The Classics

How would you define the classics? And how important is naming your child a classic to you?

I would define the classics in the [name_f]English[/name_f]-speaking world as:
[name_u]Anne[/name_u]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Katherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Sarah[/name_f]
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
Mary
Charlotte
Emma
Lydia
Catherine

Modern classics:
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Sophia[/name_f]
[name_f]Julia[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]
Victoria
Rose
Caroline
Eleanor
Hannah
Emily
Rebecca
Isabelle
Frances
Maria/Marie

I’m interested in your thoughts :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll add some of these to my list. Thank you!!

1 Like

I would say classics are names that were commonly used by generations and generations before our generation, and are still used now.

3 Likes

I would add [name_u]Maria[/name_u] and [name_u]Marie[/name_u] to this list. And maybe [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], [name_f]Victoria[/name_f], [name_f]Emma[/name_f], and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] as modern classics?

I love classic names, but I would be just as likely to name my child a more unusual name if I liked it as much. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite classic is probably [name_f]Mary[/name_f], but it does not work with my surname.

2 Likes

To me, classics are names that are timeless because they’ve never been uncommon. All of the names on your first list are classic to me, with the exception of [name_f]Alice[/name_f], which feels vintage and therefore trendy. I wouldn’t be able to tell if a [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] were 8 or 80. I’m not a huge fan of classics to be honest, because I find them overused. I would avoid the names I consider classics.

2 Likes

[name_f]Victoria[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Emma[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]

1 Like

Eleanor
[name_f]Frances[/name_f]
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Lillian[/name_f]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Rachel[/name_f]
[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]

1 Like

I’ll add these in after class :slight_smile: Thanks, everyone!

1 Like

I’d add [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] and [name_f]Emily[/name_f] to your list :slight_smile:

I like the idea of classic middle names but i probably wouldnt use a classic in the first spot

1 Like

I would probably add [name_f]Katie[/name_f] and [name_f]Emma[/name_f] in the modern classics and possibly even [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]/Ella

1 Like

I think of the classics in two tiers.

True classics:
[name_u]Anne[/name_u]
[name_f]Sarah[/name_f]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f]

These ones have had widespread, popular use for always. They’re royal, they have lots of nicknames, they can be worn by literally anyone.

And then there’s second tier classics, which would be most of the other names in the comments here…

Hannah
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
Etc

3 Likes

Alright, I updated my list somewhat! Thank you for your input :sparkling_heart:

I define classics as names that have been around for centuries, are instantly recognizable and still in use, and appeal to many. [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]/Catherine, [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], [name_f]Sarah[/name_f], [name_f]Julia[/name_f], [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_u]Anne[/name_u]/Anna, [name_f]Rose[/name_f], etc. qualify for sure! Most of them were quite common throughout the Georgian and Victorian Eras, which is a good gauge, I think. Classics are also usually evergreen/timeless, though there are a few exceptions, I am sure.

1 Like

For me:

Elizabeth
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]
[name_u]Louise[/name_u]/Louisa
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f] ( as a first name)

1 Like