The Color of Naming :o)

So, I thought this would be an interesting topic… I have synesthesia, which is a condition where the senses are ‘mixed’ in a sense. Some people with synesthesia see a color when they taste a certain food or hear a sound. I see a color and a texture when I hear a name or in accordance with someones personality. A lot of people have synesthesia, like [name]John[/name] [name]Mayer[/name]. Synesthesia - Wikipedia can tell you more about this.

So I thought it would be fun if people want to know what color their names, their kids names, or names they had picked out are!

For example my name is [name]Kaitlin[/name]. When I hear my name/think of my personality, I see a mix of the colors [name]LAVENDER[/name] and [name]GREY[/name], with a texture that is smooth and opalescent like a pearl. This tells me that I’m a person who is sensitive, quiet, but still sturdy and resilient.

My SO’s name is [name]Chris[/name]. When I hear his name and see him, I see a mix of the colors [name]BURGUNDY[/name] and [name]VIOLET[/name], with [name]BLACK[/name] speckles. The texture of it is shiny and slick, like the skin of a plum. That means that he is passionate, stubborn, has a temper, and a good sense of humor.

The name [name]Lucy[/name], for example, makes me think of a mix of the colors flamingo [name]PINK[/name] and neon [name]GREEN[/name], like tye-dye, and it has a light, soft, cottony texture. To me this means someone named [name]Lucy[/name] would be funny and friendly, who was bubbly but with a more serious nature. Perhaps she would be someone who is slow to warm up to new people but is a loudmouth once you get to know her!

So tell me what names you want to know about! :o)

I just recently read a book about synesthesia, and I think it’s so amazing!! I don’t have synesthesia (though I think it would be so cool to!) but names and letters and numbers have definite color qualities to me. My sister and I once wrote down each letter and what color it was and compared them, and it was really weird to see how different our impressions were! I see the letter L to be yellow, while S is definitely reddish.

So, my name is [name]Rosa[/name]. What color am I? :slight_smile:

[name]How[/name] about [name]Amy[/name]?

Yes, please, [name]Kaitlin[/name]!

Could you do me, [name]Lauren[/name]? Would you also be able to do the names I’ve picked for my future kids (first names only, I assume) - [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name], [name]Henry[/name], and [name]Nathaniel[/name]?

Thank you!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Very interesting! I’ll give you a few names!

[name]Savannah[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Avery[/name]

[name]Noah[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Isaiah[/name]
[name]Levi[/name]

[name]Hi[/name]!

You have a backlog of names already, but here are a few more:

My daughter is [name]Sophia[/name] (middle name [name]Noelani[/name]) and my name is [name]Hilary[/name].

Thanks!

OOO that is incredibly interesting!!!

What do you think of with [name]Bridget[/name]? :smiley: please and thanks!

That is so interesting! I’d love to see what you think about these, but no rush!

[name]Lyndsay[/name]- Me
[name]Chris[/name]- DH (do you see the same for all Chrises or just yours?)
[name]Dashiell[/name]/[name]Dash[/name]- my son
[name]Katherine[/name]/[name]Kitty[/name] - my mom
[name]William[/name]/[name]Bill[/name]- my dad

Names I love-
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Marigold[/name]
[name]Magnolia[/name]
[name]Zoe[/name] [name]Alice[/name]
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name]/[name]Betsey[/name]
[name]Gemma[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Belle[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]

[name]Lincoln[/name]/[name]Link[/name]
[name]Griffin[/name]
[name]Finn[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name]/[name]Red[/name]
[name]Angus[/name]
[name]August[/name]/[name]Oz[/name]
[name]Wesley[/name]/[name]Wes[/name]
[name]Dodge[/name]

That’s amazing! I saw a documentary once on people who associated everything with a taste, I remember it because one man said ‘[name]Derek[/name] tastes of earwax’.

Would you please tell me what colour you associate with [name]Charlotte[/name]? I’ve always thought it seemed golden yellow but I’d love to know what you see:)

Thanks again!

• [name]Charlie[/name]

I associate names, numbers, letters, faces with all kinds of different things. It’s cool to know that other people do this, too. I always wondered whether I might be some kind of a nut.

Ooh! I read a book about synesthesia years ago and I find it fascinating.

So, my name is [name]Caitlin[/name]. I’m interesed in seeing if it’s similar to yours, since it’s only one letter off.

And my two best friends are [name]Anne[/name] and [name]MacKenzie[/name], if you don’t mind telling me them, too. Thanks!

I looked up synthesia on Wikipedia and read about it. I’m quite sure that I have the personification form of synthesia. I’m not sure that I have the color one, because I see the colors inside my head rather than actually seeing them with my eyes. But I do the personification one, and I’ve done it as long as I can remember. All numbers and letters have personalities in my world. I am so amazed that some other people do this, too. It is so comforting to know that I am not alone in this. Yay! Thanks for telling me about this, [name]Grey[/name]. I really appreciate it!

This is so interesting! Could you please do some for me?

My name is [name]Amanda[/name]
DH is [name]Jonathan[/name]
DS is [name]Logan[/name]

And if you don’t mind, here are the names that I am considering for future children:

[name]Veronica[/name]
[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Reid[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name]

Thanks!

[name]Hi[/name],

My name is [name]Stephanie[/name], mn [name]Lynn[/name] could you tell me what you think of when you hear those?

wow! this is just fascinating to me. i actually count colors, constantly. every color i see i am counting. it actually drives me bonkers, but i can’t stop. i wonder if that is something similar?

anyways, you have a bunch of names already, but do you mind a few more?

jamie-me
beckett- my DS

and our top names for the next LO:

maisie
sullivan

thank you so much!

Wow, [name]Grey[/name], you sure are inundated with requests! IF you have time, can you do my 2 children: [name]Kyle[/name] [name]Patrick[/name] and [name]Emily[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]. I’m going to guess that with [name]Kyle[/name] [name]Patrick[/name], you might see green and gold. And with [name]Emily[/name] [name]Catherine[/name], you might see yellow and white. (I know, I could be [name]WAY[/name] off!) Thank you so much!

I think this is very interesting. I cannot claim to have this, but it seems like it would be interesting to perceive the world a little differently sometimes. I have strong reactions to some colors, names, words, letters, numbers, but not so that they associate to each other with the exception of the combination of white, yellow, and blue has always made me think 1-2-4, especially in stripes or color blocks. I don’t know what color 3 is, and it doesn’t go higher. So off-topic…

Please tell me what color my name, [name]Karen[/name], is!

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Ooh that is so cool! :slight_smile: I read a book about someone with synesthesia, and I found it so intriguing.

[name]Just[/name] a few names I’d love to hear what you think of:
[name]Rachel[/name], [name]Jeff[/name], [name]Darwin[/name] and [name]Claire[/name]

Thanks so much, [name]Kaitlin[/name]! This is really cool.

irisrose: Contrary to popular belief, the name [name]Rosa[/name] is actually a bright spring green, with a soft, natural texture like the Lamb’s ear plant. :o) And just for fun, my letter S is sunshine yellow! It is so much fun to compare things like that between people, isn’t it?

amadajean: There’s an [name]Amy[/name] I knew growing up who was an exception to this rule, but when I picture [name]Amy[/name], I see a bright yellow color with just a hint of pea green to the edges — someone who is friendly and fun with a hidden, more serious side.

lemon: Of course I can do yours! [name]LAUREN[/name] is a violet color with a little bit of turquoise swirled in. It reminds me a little of fingerpaint, with a wet, swirly sort of texture. You must be a very complex person :o) [name]LYDIA[/name], which I adore, is a pale silver-white like a full moon, and sort of a pebbly, sand texture. [name]EMMELINE[/name] is a softer sort of purple, but not pastel — something similar to an intense lavender color, with a texture that is sort of pilled like shot silk. [name]HENRY[/name] is my favorite name for you because it’s the very same shade of turquoise as is mixed in to [name]Lauren[/name]! I think of peaceful things when I hear the name [name]Henry[/name], like lullabies and oceans. And [name]NATHANIEL[/name] is much different, a bright grass green with a rich sort of velvety texture. You can give me MNs if you like :o)

bostonsavvy: See lemon for ‘[name]Lydia[/name]’ :o) As for [name]SAVANNAH[/name], and this is unoriginal I know, but I imagine a sort of golden-brown color like honey on toast, with a grainy texture. Someone warm and sweet, but resilient. She knows how to take care of herself. [name]AVERY[/name] is a peculiar (in a good way!) mix of bright sky blue and grey, something much more delicate than [name]Savannah[/name], for instance, like the texture of craft feathers. As for [name]NOAH[/name], he’s white, and pillowy like carded wool. [name]ISAAC[/name] and [name]ISAIAH[/name] are similar, because they have mainly similar sounds, but there are a few differences. [name]ISAAC[/name] is brighter green, with a texture like a cloud, but more solid. I don’t know how to properly describe it! [name]ISAIAH[/name], on the other hand, is a medium green like the surface of a pond, and it has the texture of wet paint that someone has run their fingers through. [name]LEVI[/name] is a mixture of brown and rust, something very earthy and natural. This name has the texture of a worn wood fence.

More to come! :o)

[name]Hilary[/name]: Your name is daffodil yellow without the ruffles! It has the texture of taffeta — not as insubstantial as chiffon nor as expensive as silk, a good mix. Your daughter’s name, [name]SOPHIE[/name], is crimson with just a hint of burgundy and violet, with the texture of crushed velvet. [name]NOELANI[/name] is a mix of the colors aqua and grass green, like a watercolor painting — together, she is a jewel! At least, the colors of her name are jewel-like :o)

beeplaysbass: [name]BRIDGET[/name] is a deep, rich coffee brown, and has the look and feel of raked sand, like in a Japanese zen garden. Sorry it’s not more exciting!

[name]Lyndsay[/name]: Look for your own private post underneath! :o)

Charliehotsox: [name]Charlotte[/name] to me is a deep red, with a velvety texture. It’s luxurious and classical without ever being too proper. Think of the red velvet little girl’s [name]Christmas[/name] dresses at [name]Macy[/name]'s, and you’ll know what I mean!

[name]Susan[/name]: You’re not a nut! I do this and so does my mom. :o) It happens to a lot of people. The personification form is one of the rarer ones (which we seem to share!) but I see the colors BEHIND my eyes, rather than in front of them, if that makes sense. They’re not necessarily “in my head”, but it’s like they’re inside my eyes when I see them at the same level as my eyes. So I’m not looking out or in at them.

CK: It actually is somewhat different, which I find amazing! Your [name]CAITLIN[/name] is a mix of sunshine yellow and a slightly more intense purple than mine, but the purple is the same. [name]ANNE[/name] is a solid violet with a hint of charcoal grey (like [name]Kaitlin[/name] but much darker), and [name]MACKENZIE[/name] is bright green with veins of eggplant purple. So you all have purple in your names! Maybe that’s why you’re such good friends ;o)