The Edith Project

I live in the UK ([name]Wales[/name]) and love the name [name]Edith[/name], which has been growing in popularity over the last few years here. I [name]DO[/name] remember [name]Edith[/name] Bunker, but I would not have thought of her if you had not mentioned it! There is really cool British female dj called [name]Edith[/name] [name]Bowman[/name], (who is very pretty as well as having a fab Scottish accent), and I think the name has a lot of style.

I [name]DO[/name] predict that it will be overrused in [name]Britain[/name] in the next five years or so, though. Maybe not in the States, however. [name]Edie[/name] is a nice nickname too.

I’m in the same boat as the original poster regarding the name [name]Edith[/name]. I’ve always loved the name [name]Edie[/name], but not [name]Edith[/name]. I don’t have any negative connotations with the name, just don’t love it. My husband’s grandma is [name]Edith[/name], and he is a big fan of old-timey names, and he wants to name a daughter [name]Edith[/name] nn [name]Edie[/name]. We don’t know the baby’s sex yet, and I would consider [name]Edith[/name] with a more modern middle name, like:

[name]Edith[/name] [name]Marlowe[/name]
[name]Edith[/name] [name]Harper[/name]
[name]Edith[/name] [name]Emerson[/name] (thought our last name begins with K, do I want the initials EEK?)
[name]Edith[/name] [name]Mattea[/name]

I wonder what other names [name]Edie[/name] is a nickname for. So far I have:
[name]Edison[/name] (I realize it’s a male name. [name]Love[/name] this one but people might call her [name]Eddie[/name], which isn’t good.)
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Meredith[/name]
[name]Kennedy[/name]

Any other suggestions? [name]Eden[/name], [name]Enid[/name] and [name]Edna[/name] are off the table!

I don’t mind [name]Edith[/name], but you have certainly made me feel old by not even ever having heard of [name]Archie[/name] Bunker! (“Apparently, there was a show a long time ago . . .” LOL)

I am in the Uk (albeit Manchester, not [name]London[/name]) and i heard of my first [name]Edith[/name] today at the swimming baths. She was about 4 and was very cute (Incidently, her brother was [name]Finn[/name] [I have a [name]Finn[/name]] and her father spoke with an Irish accent.) I mentioned it to my hubby who also liked it. [name]Edith[/name] is officially on our list!

Personally, i can’t see it being the next ‘[name]Emma[/name]’ - i add that I am an [name]Emma[/name] (a name popular here amongst my age group - mid twenties - which i do find quite annoying, but [name]Emma[/name] isn’t as popular here as your US right now. I believe - could be wrong here - that [name]Emma[/name] probably had its revival with [name]Rachel[/name] & [name]Ross[/name] from Friends calling their daughter [name]Emma[/name]. Without this kind of publicity i doubt [name]Edith[/name] will become so common.

I also think you should, very politely, ignore your mother. I think this is a decision for you and your husband and a 30/40 yr old association of a name to a fictional character definitely shouldn’t affect this decision.

Good luck with it. Be brave and go for [name]Edith[/name]!!

[name]Eden[/name], nn [name]Edie[/name] comes to mind, and you could always simply go with E.D. initials ([name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Daisy[/name], [name]Emilia[/name] [name]Delphine[/name], [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Daphne[/name], etc.), calling her [name]Edie[/name].

:slight_smile:

Good luck!

P.S. Since I posted on this thread 10 months ago, [name]Edith[/name] has grown on me, and I think it’s a sweet name.

I came on to say this very thing! [name]Edith[/name] [name]Bowman[/name] = very cool. Definitely look her up for some more positive [name]Edith[/name] inspiration!

[name]Edith[/name] is a wonderful name, and the nn [name]Edie[/name] is so sweet; I love it :slight_smile:

I don’t think that it will get too popular, because while vintage names are coming back, I imagine people will use [name]Matilda[/name] and the like rather than the (wonderful) [name]Edith[/name], [name]Agnes[/name] etc. group.