The Fakery Index (warning: Math)

[name]One[/name] the one hand I am freaking cracking up, because I have read posts [name]JUST[/name] like this, and you do a hysterically accurate impression. On the other hand I’m trying to keep myself from falling madly in love with [name]Poet[/name] [name]Narnia[/name], [name]Story[/name] [name]Kismet[/name], and [name]Fable[/name] [name]Wren[/name]. I officially have a serious word name problem, you guys!!

I agree it stinks when people lie as all the attention does go to the heavy poster, wacky stories and multiples when real people’s posts get buried and ignored.

Great Post, by the way :slight_smile: Seeing things expressed mathematically always helps me understand things so much better; I never realized how big of a problem fake announcements are. [name]Kinda[/name] like @catheyc said, It’s just a waste of everyone’s time. Everyone on Nameberry always does their best to give good advice to real expectant mothers, and it’s just disrespectful and inconsiderate to take advantage of that for your own amusement or need of attention.

Well the 54% - 46% of the most recent quarter is certainly an improvement over the 64% - 36% observed this time last year. I’d say the cracking down is helping. Thanks, [name]Blade[/name]. :slight_smile:

I agree that having members being humored when they spout off crap is just unfair to others and it casts suspicion on the members of the forum as a whole. I don’t want to ‘get to know’ people, and become emotionally invested in their sagas, only to find out later that it was all a farce. [name]Add[/name] to that that no one cares about fakers and prefers to just humor them for the name discussion? Yeah, not exactly the kind of environment I’m looking for. As you can see, I’ve been a member here for a long time, but never participated much
until recently. These stats are exactly the reason why, and also explain why I’ve been around more often recently. :slight_smile:

Wow this thread has evolved since I first checked it out earlier today. From Sims (I used to [name]LOVE[/name] the Sims) to GW to [name]Cassandra[/name] [name]Claire[/name]! This is hilarious… :slight_smile:

[name]Carry[/name] on…

Wow! Thanks for this [name]Blade[/name]! Interesting to see the numbers, although (I readily admit) my eyes usually glaze over a bit when I see so much math on one page.

I love seeing fakers called out. The more ridiculous their story, the more I enjoy it!

We need a reference guide for all past fakers called out on their lies! A sort of cliffs notes for the newer folk :wink:
The other forum I frequent very rarely has impostors, and they are either one time posters that disappear or people who are outright trolling for drama rather than pretending to have the most perfect lives (though there’s one or two members that make me raise my eyebrows at how extreme their lives, or specific aspects of their lives, sound). I was surprised the first time I read a faker’s thread (and only knew it was such because they were called out on it! I’m clueless!)

[name]Just[/name] clarifying here, blade. You said that it’s odd for a teenage girl to be a member on this site? I am a teenager and I’m obsessed with names. I am a member on this site to share my name list and get feedback. Can’t you just ignore trolls posts? When you post saying you are a troll, you are doing what they call “feeding the trolls” which means you’re encouraging them. They’ll keep posting lies if you keep responding to it. And some people who you accuse of being trolls may not be trolling. People like you annoy me. You’re on this site to accuse people of being trolls while I’m on here to offer name advice and seek feedback for my name list. Who has the time to analyze all of that? [name]Aren[/name]'t you a Sergeon or something? [name]Don[/name]'t you have a son to take care of? Stop obsessing over the trolls and start living (enjoying) life.

augusta_lee, hahahaha!! :stuck_out_tongue: That’s hilarious. Thanks, I needed that. On the other hand… I almost wish that was a real birth announcement. Some of those names are lovely, especially [name]Poet[/name] [name]Narnia[/name] and [name]Story[/name] [name]Kismet[/name]!

[name]Do[/name] you guys realize how rude and judgmental you are? This is cruel.

No, I am not a Sergeon.

Your reading comprehension is about as bad as your spelling; you called me a weirdo for tabulating these stats, and I responded by saying we all have our passions, baby names being a shared one, which ‘outsiders’ judge as odd. Many people would think your presence on a site like nameberry was unusual; we of course do not, and in a similar vein people might find me spending an hour calculating proportions strange.

I was actually being nice to you, but don’t worry, I won’t make that grave error in judgment again.

Thanks much for doing the formal calculations. I almost–almost-- opened GraphPad but thought it might be too much for one post. Fascinating to know that there is a significant difference between pre- and post-crackdown, thanks again.

Re: multiples and SES: two conflicting trends here. The first is ART, which is responsible for the 2.5x increase in twinning and the 80-fold increase in triplets. However the natural rate of twinning is highest in populations of African descent (1/55), which include African-Americans obviously and some US Hispanics (I.e. Dominicans, etc). Sadly of course as an aggregate those populations have a lower average SES than the general pop. However, ART is responble for the excess so if you were a betting woman you should bet that a family with multiples is decently well-off.

I’m not great at math so I admit I kind of glossed over the stats, but the general idea of it shocked me. It makes me sick to think that out there people are playing with the sympathies of others. I’m not as intense about fighting against trolls as a lot of other Berries seem to be, but I agree they should be stopped if possible. I’m horrible at picking them out- mostly just when the stories are ridiculously unrealistic.

madi13, blade’s just trying to point out a problem and make Nameberry better. Clearly she has the time to analyze these things, otherwise why would she have? You don’t have to read these threads if you don’t want to- and evidently lots of other people do. There are still lots of us happy to give and receive name advice. :slight_smile:

She didn’t say that; she said that from an outsider’s perspective a teenager being obsessed with names could be perceived as being as odd as a mom doing statistical analysis on fake babies. Some people like names, some people like stats, no matter how incomprehensible that may seem from the outside.

I think that simply presenting a united front against trolling and faking can work wonders. [name]Just[/name] knowing that the forum administration and members are serious about not letting people just ‘get away’ with it. All it takes is a write-up in the rules that says, “faking, lying and trolling the forum will not be tolerated and you will be banned from the forum if you are caught doing the above”. That’s it. Make up a fake baby and someone happens to find a hole or inconsistency in your story? Gone from the forum. Many people would be deterred by that, and it doesn’t mean that members need to immediately call out suspicious actions without proof or go on witch
hunts. [name]Just[/name] knowing that the admins are serious about it when it does happen is enough to prevent (some) people from taking the risk.

You know, my first thought upon reading this was “methinks the lady doth protest too much,” but then a rational voice prevailed and said “no one who was herself lying would invite scrutiny in such a manner.” but then I clicked on her posting history…

I’m on my iPad so can’t do quotes or links, but oh boy. First she has three kids, then one and one on the way, then they all disappear. First her name is [name]Jordan[/name], then [name]Jackie[/name], then [name]Jacqueline[/name] [name]Claire[/name]. She’s obsessed with the name [name]Francine[/name]-- at first it was her brothers girlfriend but then-- wait for the troll trifecta-- it was a “beautiful 10year old girl I met when I was very very sick in the hospital.” It’s hilarious. Check it out before she deletes/edits it all into oblivion.

So, in my ideal forum world, [name]Blade[/name] would then send the links of these inconsistencies to the admins, admins could check it out and if those inconsistencies actually are there, jc54 would just be gone from the forum. No tolerance.

Buy bye now!

I haven’t read all 10 pages of this thread, but it’s awesome. Freaking hilarious that a troll would accuse [name]Blade[/name] of being a troll on a thread about faking posts. Fortunately, you can usually tell a faker by their vocabulary and the way they punctuate. Overly excited, lots of question marks and exclamation points, not capitalizing, just a general “juvenile” flair about them.

I was also one of those name obsessed 14 year olds, but I didn’t know about name forums back then, I just hung out at the bookstore and read all the baby name books. :smiley:

When I first read her post, I thought jc54 was joking along the lines of “Ha, wouldn’t it be funny if [name]Blade[/name] turned out to be a troll?” when we all know she isn’t. But, okay, maybe jc54 is a troll. I’m really bad at picking them!

My boyfriend’s buddy pulled out an entire box of them about a month or so ago and I’ve been “borrowing” them a few at a time to paint. Unfortunately, there aren’t many females in the box, and the few I’ve found are the big breasted loincloth barbarian kind. Still fun to paint, but the female characters have come a long way since the late 80s/early 90s! I’d love to build an entire castle for my minis. I’m unabashedly obsessive with my hobbies. :smiley:

Sorry for keeping you up, haha! I too stayed up late for several nights in a row when I discovered it.

I watched a few episodes of the TV show but it seemed so staged. The movie may have also been staged, but I found it much better done regardless. I met my boyfriend online, and I have no idea how people can be fooled for so long. Some of them have been tricked for years. If my SO had strung me along for years at a time (hell even months) with excuses about broken webcams, no phone, or only sending a few pictures I’d have been too suspicious to continue.

As for CC, it’s been a few years since I read up on it, but she plagiarized other fan-fic writers if I remember correctly, as well as a lot of other unsavory things. Google [name]Cassandra[/name] [name]Clare[/name]/[name]Claire[/name] plagiarism and I’m sure you’ll find lots to read!

I wish there was an off-topic section.

Yikes. I checked it out because I thought “no freaking way.” She also at one point said her name was [name]Elizabeth[/name]. [name]One[/name] time she’s 22, another she was born in '82. I was born in '82; I wish I could still be 22! Her son turned into a daughter. I stopped then. :frowning:

Yes, when I first read her post I thought she was joking, then I saw blades reply and checked out her post history. Definitly not real. Still I never would of guessed.