The Fear of Gym Class

I’ve never been very athletic. Not in elementary school, not in middle school, and certainly not now.

In the last year I took physical education, an incident occurred when we were playing soccer that completely terrified me. My close friend was kicking the ball and accidentally hit me in the face. My glasses broke and I was bleeding for quite a while. For the rest of the year, I was extremely uncomfortable in said class, covering my face when I was forced to participate in soccer.

This year, I, unfortunately, chose PE as an elective. The teacher I had last year was very kind, and he is my teacher again.

However, I am still very afraid of the sport itself. This year, the classes not required, and there are more violent and competitive students. To add to the matter, I am getting braces this weekend, and my orthodontist has told me that: if I get hit in the face, they will lacerate my mouth.

On top of this new anxiety, added onto old, I am seriously considering transferring out of gym class. However, the office is no longer making schedule changes. The gym teacher, as well as my mother, suggest that I should transfer out. My mother told me that I can use my fear and a note from the orthodontist, if need be, to get out of this class.

My question is, what should I do? Should I attempt to transfer out of class and possibly use my anxiety disorder to manipulate (which I am very against)? Or should I attempt to make the best of a bad situation and remain in the class?

If the teacher is recommending a transfer, I would just transfer.

I would transfer. I don’t think it would be entirely manipulative because you’re having serious problems in the class from the anxiety surrounding it and the class is an elective. Taking that into account, along with the more aggressive students and your braces, I’m not saying you’ll get hit in the mouth but it is a legitimate concern. I’m sorry this has been such a problem for you, and glad you have support in this.

I’d transfer. You’re not being manipulative. Not only does your teacher support your transfer, it genuinely gives you anxiety and could put you at physical risk with your braces

[name_m]Just[/name_m] choose a different elective.

I felt the exact same anxiety when it came to gym class! I was never very athletic and I have no desire to play sports, I’m more of a walking/jogging outside type of person. Plus we shared the class with students older than us, and the older guys were very judgemental and would make fun. It’s safe to say that I was very relieved when I could choose not to be in that class anymore! I would also say that you should transfer out of the class, especially with the more aggressive students that would put you at a greater risk of possibility getting hit in the mouth! I wish you the best of luck :slight_smile:

Transfer. Gym class isn’t worth the emotional strain. You aren’t been manipulative, you’re caring for yourself - a lot of times anxiety tells us we’re being manipulative or underhanded or something but we’re not. Best of luck :slight_smile:

To be honest, sometimes that happens in sports. It’s all part of learning. It makes you tougher, and if you just shake it off and laugh at the blood, you’ll probably get noticed. I understand if sports aren’t your thing (I’ve never been into soccer, but I love bball), but it can be good to have that experience. Besides, electives aren’t every day. Maybe if you express your feelings to your teacher, he’ll be lenient when it comes to something you aren’t comfortable with. Also, braces won’t hurt as bad as you might think. The fear of it is the worst. Lastly, while I don’t know if you believe in God or not, but you can always pray. [name_m]Trust[/name_m] that God will protect you from that darned soccer ball!

I just wanted to thank you all for your advice. I decided to stick it out, because the only other elective available was one that my parents wouldn’t let me do.

@winterdragon04 - Our electives are every day, but thanks for your advice!

If I were you I would go to a psychologist, because I think he will find a solution to your problem.

I’m sorry to hear that, but I hope you can handle this problem. I didn’t have that problem, so, unfortunately, I can’t give you any advice. But I also had a problem with the gym. I avoided it all my life and didn’t want to go to training. After a while, my body became unattractive because I lost my shape, then I realized that I should stop being lazy and buy a gym membership. And now I’ve been going to training for half a year and using sports nutrition to improve results. Moreover, I decided to use steroids for the development and growth of muscle mass, so I read various information on this topic. For example, I want to share this article with you https://steroidcycle.org/testosterone-cycle/. And if you have any recommendations, please send me a personal message. Sorry about the offtopic.