• Ophelia [name_f]Mavis[/name_f]
  • Eudora [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
  • Ottilie/Ottiline [name_f]Mavis[/name_f]
  • Nicoline/Nicolette [name_f]Lovisa[/name_f]
  • Elowen (NN??)
  • Adelheida [name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
  • Viridis [name_f]Idette[/name_f]

0 voters

I’m feeling so conflicted y’all. I really hope this baby that’s due next week is a boy because girls names have me absolutely stumped. I keep flip flopping and all of a sudden my usually agreeable DH has all these opinions about my name list. How dare him! :laughing:

Here’s some family names I’d love to incorporate, but none are usable as-is because I really want at least a 3 syllable name that’s not in the US top #100. I want to love [name_f]Eudora[/name_f], but something is not feeling feminine enough about the ‘you’d’ sound or maybe it’s reminding me of a Ewe? :sheep: and then I think ‘Ew?’

Family names:
Nicolas
Louise
Velma
Grace
Vera
Eudora
Alma
Nancy

Here is my larger list of girl’s names that I keep rotating though. None of them are feeling right though? Hilda was the one until it started bothering me that it was a 2 syllable FN with our 2 syllable LN. Our last name is Danish and pronounced like “Sauna”. Hilda Sauna, see what I mean? :thinking:

Name’s I also like:
Adalina
Evelina
Flora
Ingrid
Magnolia
Fern
Agnes/Agatha
Nico

In conclusion, I really want at least 3-4 syllables for the FN preferably with a 1-2 syllable NN and not being on the top #100 is very important to me. Also, no S or J beginning names. Brother will be [name_m]Zebediah[/name_m] ([name_m]Zeb[/name_m]). Suggestions please? I’m about to give up to name this baby my 4yo son’s suggestion of sugar pie. :joy: :pie:

I love [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] and Adelheida for you

Eloisa, [name_f]Verity[/name_f], [name_f]Althea[/name_f], [name_f]Fenella[/name_f], [name_f]Isadora[/name_f], [name_f]Elsinore[/name_f] and [name_f]Eleanora[/name_f] came to mind

I can see how little it’s been voted for, but I absolutely love [name_f]Viridis[/name_f] for you!

I can’t get over the [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]/pedophilia thing, sorry. [name_f]My[/name_f] top from your list is [name_f]Nicolette[/name_f] but I voted for others as well. :slight_smile:

Elowen [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] works! :smiley:

I loooove [name_f]Eudora[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]. [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f], [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] & [name_f]Viridis[/name_f] are the others that I think sound gorgeous with [name_m]Zebediah[/name_m]. I like [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], too. Maybe [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f], [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] [name_f]Fern[/name_f], or [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] [name_f]Velma[/name_f]

my favorite first names from your list with your last name are [name_f]Ottoline[/name_f], [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], and [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]

some combo ideas

Ottoline [name_f]Mavis[/name_f] “[name_m]Tolly[/name_m]/Ollie”
[name_f]Ottoline[/name_f] [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] “[name_m]Tolly[/name_m]/Ollie”
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f] [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] “[name_u]Wynn[/name_u]/Ollie”
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] “[name_f]Nola[/name_f]”

1 Like

How about [name_f]Eulalia[/name_f]/Eulalie, [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] or [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] as slightly more feminine-feeling twists on [name_f]Eudora[/name_f]?

Reading the names, before I read your accompanying post, I was most drawn to [name_f]Eudora[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] as a sister for [name_m]Zebediah[/name_m]. It’s not really my personal style; the ones from the list I like best are [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f], [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] and Adelheida. Adelheida sounds pretty similar to [name_m]Zebediah[/name_m], but the nicknames would be quite different.

I do love @katinka’s suggestion of [name_f]Eulalia[/name_f]/Eulalie as a spin on [name_f]Eudora[/name_f]. They’re such happy names and have current-sounding nn options ([name_f]Lily[/name_f], Luly, [name_f]Lulu[/name_f] etc.) while being very unusual.

Good luck! It must be stressful being so close to the due date without a girl name. You could always have a couple options ready when you meet the baby, if you think that could work for you.

1 Like

@Greyblue Thank you. Yes, I really like [name_f]Tilly[/name_f] and Adelheida would definitely get me to [name_f]Hildie[/name_f] NN. [name_f]Elsinore[/name_f] is pretty! [name_f]Eleanora[/name_f] is another fave, but a friend recently used it. DH has nixed virtue names, otherwise YES to [name_f]Verity[/name_f]!

@rosepip Isn’t it feminine flowy, but strong? I really like it too. And [name_f]Vera[/name_f] and [name_m]Zeb[/name_m], what a pair.

@skylerros OOF! Never made that connection previously, but now I do. :grimacing: :tired_face: I kinda thought of “I feel ya” when I say it aloud, but that is not nearly as bad as that. [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] is a little too trendy for me personally.

@lateaugust Doesn’t [name_f]Eudora[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] sound like an adorable little girl in a children’s book? [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] has a special meaning to me because of being pregnant during such tumultuous times in the US. Oooh, I like [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]!

@katinka I was liking [name_f]Eulalia[/name_f], until I looked up [name_m]Saint[/name_m] [name_f]Eulalia[/name_f]. How tragic! Anywho, I suppose I could get past that. I don’t know, I do love [name_m]Saint[/name_m] names. [name_f]Pandora[/name_f]’s box is a little troubling for me, but I can see the appeal of the name.

@auroradawn Thank you! Yes, it is indeed stressful. Being team green last pregnancy also, I had settled on 3 names of each gender to take with me to the birth and I immediately knew which one upon meeting our first son. That was my plan this time and I’ve got my 3 boy’s names, but the girl’s have been a challenge. Maybe it’s a sign it’s another boy :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Ok, the stories of St. Eulalia do diminish the “happy” factor a bit, which for me is based on the sound. I had forgotten. Still a lovely name.

I also think of the poem “The Lanterns of St. Eulalie,” which is a lovely little bit of imagery. I’ll add a link if I can figure out how to do so.

1 Like

Haha, sorry that I ruined [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] for you! :laughing:

Ottilie [name_f]Mavis[/name_f]! So cute and quirky. ETA: I love it with [name_m]Zebediah[/name_m] nn [name_m]Zeb[/name_m]. [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] could be nn [name_f]Dot[/name_f]/Dottie, [name_f]Tillie[/name_f] or [name_u]Ollie[/name_u].

1 Like

@auroradawn I’ll look that up. Yes, the meaning/history of a name doesn’t 100% make it or break it for me, but it is a big factor and I find myself loving a name more when I enjoy the meaning was well. I guess especially with [name_m]Saint[/name_m]/Goddess names, I like them if they are the patron saint of something I find dear or applicable.

@cactusgram [name_f]Dot[/name_f],[name_f]Dottie[/name_f],[name_f]Tillie[/name_f] and [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] are all vintage sounding NNs I adore.

2 Likes