The four Es

We have four names beginning with E on our long list that I have some reservations about…

1. Elena - [name_m]Will[/name_m] it always get mispronounced? I don’t want to use [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] because my littlest is [name_f]Florence[/name_f] shortened to [name_f]Flora[/name_f] so [name_f]Nora[/name_f] would be too close.

2. Esme - Again, will it be mispronounced? [name_f]My[/name_f] oldest is [name_f]Violet[/name_f] which is shortened to [name_f]Letty[/name_f] so [name_f]Essie[/name_f] would probably be too close to if used as a nickname. [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Florence[/name_f] & [name_f]Esme[/name_f] sounds dreamy to me though! [name_f]Esme[/name_f] was also almost [name_f]Violet[/name_f]’s middle name.

3. Emmeline - We’d pronounce it ending in the -leen sound. [name_m]Will[/name_m] it be mispronounced? I’m in the UK if that helps.

4. Elsie - Too nickname-y? I’m not keen on [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f].

WDYT? Thanks for your help guys!

I think they are all fine.

I’m American, so some of the pronunciation responses I have may not be as helpful, but I’ll do my best!

[name_f]Elena[/name_f]— I think it depends on which pronunciation you’re planning on using. I can think of three different ways to pronounce the name off the top of my head. But if you use the pronunciation that’s most common where you live it probably won’t be mispronounced. I’m not sure which one you’re planning on using so I don’t know if that’s helpful. I certainly don’t think it needs to be a nickname, I actually prefer it on its own. As an aside I also like it more than [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. [name_f]Lovely[/name_f] name.

[name_f]Esme[/name_f]— This one, I don’t think is as likely to be mispronounced but it might be misspelled at times ([name_f]Esmee[/name_f], [name_f]Esmay[/name_f], etc). I don’t think it’s unusable by any means, it’s a familiar enough name, even though I personally haven’t ever met anyone with it (which is a plus in my opinion). [name_f]Esme[/name_f] is not my style but I think it’s perfectly usable. I also think it’s a great match with [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and Violet!

[name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]— my natural instinct is to pronounce it so that it rhymes with [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], however, that might be different in the UK. I don’t know. Either pronunciation, I think it’s a perfectly good name and I prefer it to a lot of the other [name_f]Em[/name_f]- names.

[name_f]Elsie[/name_f]— very nicknamey to me, sorry. I don’t like the name [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] at all, honestly, so I’m with you there. Other options for full names for LC might be [name_u]Chelsea[/name_u], [name_u]Kelsey[/name_u], [name_f]Elsa[/name_f], [name_f]Elsinore[/name_f]?

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite on your list is [name_f]Elena[/name_f], but my favorite as a sibling for [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and Violet is [name_f]Esme[/name_f].

I love [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], and don’t think it would be shortened to [name_f]Nora[/name_f] though that would be too close to [name_f]Flora[/name_f]. Nicknames I do see are [name_f]Elle[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_f]Nell[/name_f], and [name_u]Nelly[/name_u]. [name_f]Elena[/name_f] is cute too, but I’ve never heard it said the same way twice.

Esme is beautiful and I don’t think [name_f]Essie[/name_f] is too similar to [name_f]Letty[/name_f] by any means. I’m from the states so I pronounce it Ez-[name_f]May[/name_f], but I’m assuming from your choice of nicknames you say Ess-me. I don’t really see pronunciation being too much of a problem.

What nicknames are you thinking of for [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]?

Elsie is a favorite of mine but I don’t know that I love it with your older girls’ names.

1. Elena. [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] could be nn’d [name_f]Nell[/name_f]. [name_f]Flora[/name_f] and [name_f]Nell[/name_f]. I think with [name_f]Elena[/name_f] some will say [name_f]Ellen[/name_f]-a and others will say [name_f]Elaine[/name_f]-a, but many names have different possible pronunciations. I’ve taught a lot of Elenas.

2. I can’t see how anyone could mispronounce [name_f]Esme[/name_f]. I also can’t see the need to nickname [name_f]Esme[/name_f]. [name_f]Esme[/name_f] is a perfect name.

3. I’ve never heard [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] pronounced that way. I would have though of [name_f]Emma[/name_f]-line. Not sure about how people say it in UK.

4. Elsie is cute. A bit nicknamey but cute.

My instincts say [name_f]Elena[/name_f] and [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] will offer different pronunciations which it sounds like you might not like. They both seem quite used.

While [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] is cute, [name_f]Esme[/name_f] is perfection.

I say go for [name_f]Esme[/name_f]!

I think [name_f]Esme[/name_f] fits the best out of your options. I think it would be the one most consistently pronounced correctly. Like another reply, I’ve heard [name_f]Elena[/name_f] pronounced so many different ways and would be most concerned about that one getting mispronounced.

I’m also American so unsure of how [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] would be read there. I’m accustomed to the “EM-uh-line” pronunciation.

Taking into consideration your other girls names I have to say I am really liking [name_f]Esme[/name_f]. I think you don’t have to use [name_f]Essie[/name_f] as a nickname either? How about just [name_f]Mae[/name_f]? Which is pretty?
If you were open to other E name suggestions you may like
[name_f]Elise[/name_f]? [name_f]Elle[/name_f]/Ella
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Edie[/name_f]
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_f]Elva[/name_f]
[name_f]Ellen[/name_f]
[name_u]Ellis[/name_u]

I’m in the UK as well, and everyone I’ve encountered pronounces [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] with the -leen ending. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if there is a mixup, it’s a really easy correction. It’s definitely my favourite of your four, and I think it’s absolutely darling with your daughters’ names!

2 Likes

I pronounce [name_f]Esme[/name_f] as Ez-[name_f]May[/name_f].

My in laws always shorten names (they started Letty with Violet) I know any name we choose will inevitably get shortened so I was to make sure I like it. We almost called Violet, Felicity but I don’t like Flick so it’s her middle name instead. I know we can’t control nicknames so Flora and Nora (Eleanor) would be a no go, for example.

1 Like
  1. I think it would depend on which pronunciation you intend to use. I would say [name_f]Elaine[/name_f]-uh since that’s the way I’ve heard it pronounced on films/TV, though I’m aware there are other pronunciations out there there.

For what it’s worth, I’ve never heard anyone use [name_f]Nora[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. To me [name_f]Nora[/name_f] is a separate name. So I don’t think [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is too close to [name_f]Florence[/name_f]/Flora.

1. I would automatically pronounce [name_f]Esme[/name_f] as Ez-may. I’ve never heard any other pronunciation used.

2. I would pronounce [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] with the -leen sound. Like [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] Pankhurst.

3. In the UK, [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] is usually a standalone name. If I met a woman who introduced herself as [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], I wouldn’t expect her to have a longer name.

I like [name_f]Elena[/name_f], [name_f]Esme[/name_f] and [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] the most. All gorgeous names.

My favourite generally and with your daughters’ names is [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]. I think in the UK you’ll have plenty of people who pronounce it as you want and of course plenty who don’t, but it’s an easy correction. Re [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], if you love it (which I wasn’t sure about from your post), couldn’t you instead use [name_f]Elle[/name_f] or [name_f]Nell[/name_f] as a nickname rather than [name_f]Nora[/name_f]? I think [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is gorgeous with [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and [name_f]Violet[/name_f]. I’m not such a fan of [name_f]Elena[/name_f], [name_f]Esme[/name_f] or [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], and you may occasionally have problems with pronunciation with the first two, although I wouldn’t let that stop you if you love them. And [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] seems a tad too nicknamey next to [name_f]Violet[/name_f] and [name_f]Florence[/name_f]. What are your thoughts on [name_f]Edith[/name_f] nn [name_f]Edie[/name_f]? I think this would complement your daughters’ names perfectly!

I would pronounce [name_f]Elena[/name_f] like a-lay-na. I would pronounce [name_f]Esme[/name_f] like ez-me. And I would pronounce [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] like [name_f]Emma[/name_f]-line. I like [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] better than Elpeth.

I’m also from the UK and I would pronounce them as:
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] - uh-lay-nuh
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] - ez-may
[name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] - em-uh-leen

I agree that [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and [name_f]Esme[/name_f] sounds dreamy! I like @TDFM’s suggestion of [name_f]Edith[/name_f] nn [name_f]Edie[/name_f], I think that would be super sweet too. How about [name_f]Elodie[/name_f]?

1 Like

Esme is beautiful and I think familiar enough that it won’t be mispronounced. It’s gorgeous with your set

Elena is very pretty. Again, I think most people willbe able to pronounce it

Emmeline - I do think this could be mispronounced bur I think it’s simple enough to correct

Elsie -lovely and sweet and substantial enough

Elena is often pronouced as eh-lay-na, if that’s not your pronunciation unfortunately it might get mispronounced often. (Tagging @EJpuddlejumper, she’s an [name_f]Elena[/name_f] who pronounces it eh-LEH-na)
Also I don’t think [name_f]Nora[/name_f] is an unavoidable nickname for [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], especially in UK since for most people [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] doesn’t have the “nor” sound. [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] or [name_f]Elle[/name_f] sound like the more natural nicknames.

I don’t think [name_f]Esme[/name_f] will be mispronounced often.

As I know most Brits pronounce [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] as emma-leen.

Elsie isn’t too nicknamey, especially in UK where nickname names are a huge trend.

1 Like

Okay, this is a whole thing :grin: I am an [name_f]Elena[/name_f] who lives in the Southern United States. I pronounce it Eh-LEH-nuh, the Spanish way. Like nobody pronounces it right. Throughout my 14 years of life I have gotten [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanora[/name_f], [name_f]Alana[/name_f], [name_f]Alina[/name_f], [name_f]Elana[/name_f], [name_f]Ellen[/name_f], [name_f]Elaine[/name_f]…BUT CONTINUE READING. USUALLY after correcting someone once or twice they get it mostly right. About three fourths of my friends get it right!! I rarely but sometimes get teachers or people who call me E or say “they’re too southern to pronounce it”. But the majority of people will figure it out. One family, one of my best friends also my birthday twin and neighbor, (this girl actually has the middle name [name_f]Elana[/name_f] pronounced EE-lay-nuh) had an argument about my name pronunciaiton, and they had known me a really long time. But I love my name and I think if you really like it then ABSOLUTELY go for it!! And there are SOO many nickname options!! I like EJ (my middle name starts with J) and [name_u]Lenny[/name_u], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], Nenny, [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_f]Lena[/name_f], [name_f]Nell[/name_f]…so many!!

[name_f]Esme[/name_f] - BEAUTIFUL!! It sounds AMAZING with your kids names. I do not think it would always be mispronounced but it could sometimes. I think it’s worth it tho, it’s so beautiful!!

[name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] - YAY!! I love this!! If it is mispronounced it is an easy correction, and I think people would usually ask. I can’t see any downsides to this name!!! Super cute nicknames like [name_f]Emmy[/name_f], [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Lena[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_f]Nell[/name_f], [name_f]Nellie[/name_f], [name_f]Mella[/name_f]…

[name_f]Elsie[/name_f] is AMAZING! Not too nicknamey in my opinion, but if you wanted a more formal “full” name you could go for [name_f]Estelle[/name_f], or [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f].

I apologize- I haven’t read through every comment yet and may edit after doing so… but…

Of your choices and of your concerns my choice for you would be [name_f]Elsie[/name_f]. That’s the one I think is least likely to be misnoronounced and I don’t find it nicknamey. After that [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]… I’m in the States and pronounce it just like you.

Maybe Consider:

Esther- my daughters name and it has lots of cute nn potential. [name_f]Estie[/name_f], [name_f]Etta[/name_f], [name_f]Essie[/name_f], etc etc

Eloise or [name_f]Elise[/name_f]- similar to [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] but takes away the possible nn feel

Emma

Hi there.

Here are my thoughts-

Elena-I think that this one is fairly straight forward. I like the nn [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] or [name_f]Lena[/name_f], & those are probably fine w/Letty & [name_f]Flora[/name_f]. In my neck of the woods (midwest U.S.), there are a lot of different spellings for this name. So, I’d probably worry more about that. This is far & away the prettiest spelling in my opinion.

Esme-Aw, I love [name_f]Esme[/name_f]. And it’s gorgeous w/your crew. It’s so elegant & pixie-ish. I don’t think that any nns sounds natural at all here, so if that’s a concern for you. It probably will be mispronounced, but it may be worth it.

Emmeline-I’d worry more about this being mispronounced, really. [name_f]Emma[/name_f]-line (pretty!) or [name_f]Emme[/name_f]-leen (not as pretty to me.) Either way, I’m not a fan of [name_f]Emmy[/name_f]. Are you?

Elsie-Yeah, it is fairly nick-namey in my opinion. It’s adorable though & goes nicely w/Letty & [name_f]Flora[/name_f]. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] or [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] nn [name_f]Elsie[/name_f]? Maybe [name_m]Even[/name_m] [name_f]Estelle[/name_f], [name_f]Estella[/name_f] or [name_f]Eloisa[/name_f] would work?

Hope this helps. :slight_smile: