The Hidden io?

Both of my sons have first names ending in -IO. This wasn’t by design but we love their names together.

Recently I have been contemplating whether it would be worth continuing the trend in some way with our third and final. I don’t think I’m ultimately willing to give another -io ending as they feel too matchy, although there are so many good ones left for the taking… truly. But I’m wondering if it is worth caching an -io- in there somewhere.

There are some names we have always loved that include the io, but are others worthy of consideration? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think some ounce of weight should be given to the -io- in the decision-making process, or is it merely a happy bonus if it happens with a name we absolutely love above all else?

Top of our lists:
[name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f]
[name_f]Viola[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Calliope[/name_f]
[name_f]Clio[/name_f] (not so hidden :wink:)
[name_m]Endymion[/name_m]

Names we have strongly considered in the past:
[name_f]Hermione[/name_f] (likely middle only as begins with H, but the H is my one and only hesitation)
[name_m]Helios[/name_m] (ditto)
[name_m]Scipio[/name_m]
[name_f]Siobhan[/name_f]
[name_m]Thelonious[/name_m]
[name_u]Orion[/name_u]

The normal names:
[name_u]Marion[/name_u]
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f] (DH has a cousin named [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] so he has said in the past this is out)
[name_f]Giovanna[/name_f]
[name_u]Lionel[/name_u]
[name_u]Elliott[/name_u] (a lovely name, but also an ex-boyfriend…)

The younik-adjacent, but also close to honor names ([name_f]Helen[/name_f]/[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f])
Alionor
Elionor
Elionora
[name_f]Lionore[/name_f]
[name_f]Liocadia[/name_f]

Others:
[name_m]Dionysus[/name_m] (my mom’s name is [name_f]Denise[/name_f] so we have actually considered this on long lists in the past. Is it too weird? It gives me vibes close to the happy feeling of my first son’s name, gaiety and revelry baked in… but maybe that’s just me and the mythology doesn’t transfer through the clumsiness of the syllables?)
[name_m]Hyperion[/name_m]
[name_m]Pygmalion[/name_m]
[name_f]Vermillion[/name_f]
[name_m]Axiom[/name_m]
[name_m]Elior[/name_m]
[name_f]Catriona[/name_f]
Fionnoula (I love it and many of the variant spellings. It was vetoed years ago. [name_u]Haven[/name_u]’t asked again.)
[name_f]Fiora[/name_f] (I like this a lot. Never would have given it much thought before)
[name_f]Iolanthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Ione[/name_f]
[name_f]Io[/name_f] (I feel even as a middle it is too scant in the context of my sons’ names)
[name_u]Lior[/name_u]
[name_m]Prior[/name_m]
[name_m]Melchior[/name_m]
[name_f]Meliora[/name_f]
[name_f]Niobe[/name_f] (too [name_m]Hamlet[/name_m] with [name_m]Horatio[/name_m]?)
[name_f]Niomi[/name_f] (other than [name_f]Viola[/name_f], [name_u]Elliott[/name_u], and [name_f]Siobhan[/name_f], the only name of a person I’ve actually met)

I feel like it is giving some food for thought, so at least up to this point has been a worthwhile exercise. But what do you think? As always, thanks for your thoughts, Berries!

I like the idea! I wouldn’t pass over a favorite if you like a non-io name better but it’s a nice little connection to have between them.
[name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are:
[name_f]Hermione[/name_f]
[name_f]Iolanthe[/name_f] (so pretty)
[name_m]Melchior[/name_m] (cool)
[name_m]Dionysus[/name_m] (I actually really like the way this sounds)

1 Like

I have always liked [name_f]Viola[/name_f] since first reading Twelfth [name_u]Night[/name_u].

Another, less common name with io is of Welsh origin, [name_f]Ffion[/name_f].

I think having a subtle io in the name would be cool!!

On your list, I love
[name_f]Viola[/name_f]
[name_u]Orion[/name_u]

[name_f]Eliora[/name_f], [name_f]Iona[/name_f] and [name_m]Benvolio[/name_m] also came to mind

1 Like

I think this is a fantastic idea!

What a nice way to link all three, without it being too obvious to anyone not “in the know”. [name_m]Even[/name_m] more so since it was pure serendipity that gave your first two sons that “io” link in the first place.

Of those you’ve mentioned, here are my favourites for you:

[name_f]Hermione[/name_f]

[name_m]Hyperion[/name_m]
[name_m]Melchior[/name_m]

Others you might like (trying to avoid -io endings):

[name_f]Alastriona[/name_f]
[name_f]Alcione[/name_f]
[name_f]Briony[/name_f]
Campion (flower name, would also be lovely for a boy)
[name_f]Catriona[/name_f]
[name_f]Clarion[/name_f]
[name_u]Endellion[/name_u]
[name_f]Fioralba[/name_f]
[name_f]Halcione[/name_f]
[name_f]Heliotrope[/name_f]
[name_f]Remedios[/name_f] (as in [name_u]Varo[/name_u])
[name_f]Violaine[/name_f]
[name_f]Violante[/name_f]

[name_m]Amphion[/name_m]
[name_m]Coriolan[/name_m]
[name_m]Criostoir[/name_m]
[name_m]Demetrios[/name_m]
[name_m]Deucalion[/name_m]
[name_m]Fiorello[/name_m]/[name_m]Fiorenzo[/name_m]/Fiorenze
[name_m]Gwydion[/name_m]
[name_m]Heliodor[/name_m]
[name_m]Hesperios[/name_m]
[name_m]Hilarion[/name_m]
[name_m]Oriol[/name_m]/[name_f]Oriole[/name_f]
[name_m]Rodion[/name_m]
[name_m]Viridios[/name_m]
[name_m]Zenobios[/name_m]
[name_m]Zorion[/name_m]

1 Like

[name_f]Awesome[/name_f] idea for a connection! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites with your boys’ names:

[name_f]Giovanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Liocadia[/name_f]

[name_m]Benvolio[/name_m] would be one of the tops were I to consider another -io ending boy. I like [name_f]Iona[/name_f] a lot but it’s not a favorite.

@katinka, thanks the list! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites of those you mentioned:

Ditto.

@whatchamacallit, I’m glad you think [name_m]Dionysus[/name_m] might work.

2 Likes