The Latest Four...(Poll!)

[name]Lauren[/name],
I know 3 Sophies/Sophias (I think I forgot about one before). I guess it seems weird tho that it’s #4 here and I don’t know more. However, I looked up the first name “[name]Soph[/name]” in our database at my clinic and I swear the system almost crashed from all the Sophies/Sophias it found! Maybe I need to be around kids more, I dunno. We haven’t been to the park very recently LOL so not sure about the kids there, and there haven’t been any in [name]Gaby[/name]'s daycares (lots of Abbys, Addisons, and Kaitlins tho) so…I dunno. [name]How[/name] can it be #4 yet be so scarce? I just think I’m not around kids very often. Teachers probably know. :wink: maybe we should ask sford how many she’s had in her classes recently? :slight_smile:

[name]Erica[/name],

I am a preschool teacher and for the last few years there has always been at least one [name]Sophia[/name]/[name]Sophie[/name]/[name]Sofia[/name] in my class of twenty, this year there are two and there’s usually at least one more in the other class. I also have several friends or friends of friends with daughters named [name]Sophia[/name].

That being said, I think a lot of people are choosing it on the poll because it is a beautiful name and does go well with [name]Gabriella[/name]. I don’t think it’s going to be like [name]Jennifer[/name] someday because it’s a classic and let’s face it, it’s a beautiful name, but it is definitely popular and they are out there. If popularity isn’t a deal breaker to you, I say go for it.

My six year old dd is named [name]Amelia[/name] nn [name]Mia[/name], and when I named her, I hadn’t met a [name]Mia[/name] or [name]Amelia[/name] yet and then it became more popular and now there are two in her grade and I’ve definitely had my share of them in classes. I still love the name and feel like it’s perfect for her, no matter how many other Amelias/Mias I meet. You could pick [name]Annabel[/name] only to have it soar to popularity in the next few years, so I guess I just feel like you should pick the name you think is best and the one you love. If for you that’s [name]Sophia[/name], then go for it! [name]Hope[/name] that helps!

[name]Erica[/name],

[name]Just[/name] wanted to add while I may only have one to two [name]Sophia[/name]'s per class, I also usually have one to two [name]Isabella[/name]/[name]Isabel[/name]'s , [name]Ava[/name]'s, Abigails/[name]Abby[/name]'s per class as well, so for me [name]Sophia[/name] is comparable to those names in popularity. Your experience may be different, but just wanted to clarify and put it into perspective for you my experience with [name]Sophia[/name] as a teacher.

[name]Stacey[/name]

Lol thank you sford, how appropriately timed! :slight_smile: actually I’m surprised there aren’t more like 3-4 Sophias in your classes!

To tell the truth, [name]Sophia[/name] isn’t nearly [name]Brent[/name]'s favorite, and while I like it, I’ve dismissed it for awhile due to its popularity. However, I think it goes the best with [name]Gabriella[/name] out of our choices. Unfortunately, I was sort of thinking what other names sound really good with [name]Gabriella[/name], and they’re all in like the top 5: [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Ava[/name], [name]Sophia[/name], etc. Sad. :frowning:

I am sorta nervous about [name]Annabel[/name]'s popularity, and can definitely see it rising due to [name]Isabelle[/name]'s and [name]Anna[/name]'s popularity. However, I don’t think that would hold me back, the fact that it might get really popular. I feel like you never really know what can happen with names and I wouldn’t want to not use it b/c of that. On the other hand, the fact that I know [name]Sophia[/name] is really popular may be enough of a deterrent, you know? :stuck_out_tongue: oh well.

Maybe I’m wasting too much time worrying about stuff like this. My whole fam and everyone at work thinks I’m being “too picky” and “overthinking this” and ridiculous about the naming process.

At this point, I don’t know if popularity should be that big of a concern to you. I mean, one or two [name]Sophia[/name]'s in a class isn’t horrible - at least, I don’t think so. I have a very popular name, as you know, and I consistently went to school with about three or so other girls with the same name as me. Honestly, it didn’t bug me. I didn’t have to go by my initials or a nickname or any of that - we just worked it out. Sometimes I almost think it is neat meeting another person with the same name, and in the grand scheme of the entire world, or just the US, a few kids with the same name as you in your grade at school is not a huge deal. My sister’s name is pretty common, too, but we didn’t meet a lot of girls with her name until we got to college - now, there are three or four [name]Sarah[/name]'s (or [name]Sara[/name]'s) in her school alone, which is like 45 people. Wow, right? But, again, it isn’t a big deal. The only time I can tell you that I was irked by my name being so common was when I actually came upon someone with the same first and last name - that was irritating, and very confusing! Your last name is far less common than mine, though, so I doubt that would ever happen to you…

And, [name]Stacey[/name] is absolutely right. [name]Sophia[/name] will never be the next [name]Jennifer[/name]. Heck, it probably won’t be the next [name]Ava[/name], style-wise. It might be the next [name]Emma[/name], but [name]Emma[/name] and [name]Sophia[/name] are really like the second coming of [name]Sarah[/name]. Did that make any sense? All I’m saying is [name]Sophia[/name] is a timeless, elegant classic that works just as well on an infant as it does on a thirty-something or even a woman in her seventies - think [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Loren[/name]. It is sophisticated, beautiful, and feminine and it will continue to be just that every decade for as long, long time.

L

I know the popularity thing shouldn’t bug me, especially with how many issues we have already, but for some reason, it does! I don’t know why…I guess I’ve always been someone who sort of shuns conformity and especially since I’ve always been into names, I’ve sort of always scorned people who name their kids something in like the top 30. I always think, “Seriously? [name]Emily[/name]? You couldn’t think of something a [name]TAD[/name] more original?” Maybe I shouldn’t be so judgmental. Maybe their husbands are like [name]Brent[/name] too, LOL!

Well obviously, this is more of a personal problem than you guys care about, but I think that’s what my issue is. Maybe I’m a “hipster” at heart. All that being said, though, I know you guys know I’m way too shy to use something totally out there LOL! I’m such a fricking difficult weirdo. Sorry. :frowning:

Oh, p.s…I finally got [name]Brent[/name] to put some name combos in order. Here are his rankings:

1. [name]Annabel[/name] [name]Ava[/name]
  2. [name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Stella[/name]
  3. [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Lily[/name]
  4. [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]
  5. [name]Vivienne[/name] [name]Lily[/name]
  6. [name]Vivien[/name] [name]Lily[/name]

Now, I asked him about the [name]Vivienne[/name]/[name]Vivien[/name] thing, b/c he told me before that he likes [name]Vivien[/name] better than [name]Vivienne[/name]. Well now he says that with [name]Lily[/name] for a mn, he likes [name]Vivienne[/name] better. Whatever. I’m actually surprised he likes [name]Sophia[/name] more!

Oh and he asked me about [name]Chloe[/name], too…I feel like it’s sort of trashy (maybe [name]Chloe[/name] Sevigny or whatever the hell her names is comes to mind) and also :oops: the popularity (sorry!!!). It seems sort of flighty and insignificant to me. Reminds me of a cat name, for some reason. What do you guys think??

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Erica[/name],

All of your choices are beautiful, but I voted for [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] and [name]Annabel[/name] [name]Ava[/name]. Maybe it’s the alliteration that I’m liking, especially as a sibling to [name]Gabriella[/name] [name]Grace[/name]. I like [name]Vivien[/name] [name]Lily[/name] 3rd.

As for the popularity of [name]Sophia[/name], it may be popular, but I’ve never met a [name]Sophia[/name] or [name]Sophie[/name] who did not love her name. My 12 year old niece’s first name is [name]Sophie[/name] and she loves her name. When I asked her what she thinks I should name my daughter, her immediate response was “[name]SOPHIE[/name]!” (I told her it wasn’t an option since that was already her name).

[name]Sophia[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] sounds so glamorous and sassy to me.
[name]Vivien[/name] [name]Lily[/name] sounds the most mature to me, despite [name]Lily[/name] being so youthful.

[name]Hope[/name] that helps a bit!

Thanks amanda!!
I wish I could fix the poll now though - apparently [name]Brent[/name] likes the [name]Vivienne[/name] spelling better with the middle name [name]Lily[/name], which is the spelling I prefer, too. I think it makes the name look a lot more youthful and is a better fit with [name]Gabriella[/name]. Oh well…maybe I’ll make a new poll and leave [name]Madeleine[/name] out lol!

I sort of agree with you on [name]Chloe[/name]. It seems unnecessarily youthful and more suited to a pet, I think. Then again, I sort of think the same of [name]Lily[/name], so…

Oh, and [name]Amanda[/name] is completely right on [name]Sophia[/name] and [name]Sophie[/name]. Never met one who didn’t love her name! It is so glamorous and sassy, yet it could also totally suit a little tomboy, I think. Versatility is nice!

L

To me, it seems like you have some great choices, but each has advantages and disadvantages. [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] is a classic beautiful name that probably out of the four goes the best with [name]Gabriella[/name] [name]Grace[/name]. However, I understand where you’re coming from on the popularity, I’m a bit of “hipster” at heart myself :wink: . [name]Annabel[/name] [name]Ava[/name] is fun, whimsical and less popular, but doesn’t have quite the same flow with [name]Gabriella[/name] [name]Grace[/name] as [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]. [name]Vivienne[/name] [name]Lily[/name] is sweet, pretty, not overly popular, but out of the three, I feel like it doesn’t fit as well with [name]Gabriella[/name] [name]Grace[/name] and your husband isn’t crazy about it.

I think you may need to just decide what is the most important criteria for you when it comes to naming. If it’s making a great sibset, than I don’t know if you’ll get much better than [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] and [name]Gabriella[/name] [name]Grace[/name]. If it’s finding a sweet name that’s not too popular that hubby loves as much as you, [name]Annabel[/name] [name]Ava[/name]'s your girl. If you want a classic name that you have always loved then [name]Vivienne[/name] [name]Lily[/name] may work best. The good news is that they are all beautiful names that any girl would love to have, so you can’t go wrong:)

[name]Stacey[/name]

[name]Erica[/name],

I can definitely relate to what you say about hesitating on a name because of its popularity. I think the same thing when someone tells me they’re naming their child [name]Madison[/name] or [name]Addison[/name] or any one of those super popular names right now. I know two little Emmas who are 8 or 9, and their parents picked out their names just as [name]Emma[/name] was becoming popular. [name]Even[/name] though they were both named for grandparents, my first thought when I met each of these girls was “oh, another [name]Emma[/name]” (even though I do love the name!). So many of those top ten names are popular for a reason (many of them are great!), and I agree that girls probably like having popular names (when they’re little, especially). But as a mom, I’d feel like I needed to explain myself every time I told someone that I named my daughter [name]Emily[/name] or [name]Madison[/name], or whatever.

I think probably what we’re going to do is come up with a few choices to take with us to the hospital, and just hope that the baby steers us in one direction or another! A couple of years ago, at the same time my youngest son [name]Drew[/name] was born, my close friend and her husband had decided on [name]Diana[/name] [name]Victoria[/name] (named after grandmothers) for their daughter. But when they saw her, they just didn’t see her as a [name]Diana[/name]. They switched it to [name]Catherine[/name] [name]Claire[/name], which totally fits her! So I’m hoping that when we see our baby, one of our choices will stand out a lot more than the others. Your baby might just look to you much more like a [name]Sophia[/name] than an [name]Annabel[/name], or vice versa!

[name]Alissa[/name]

So glad [name]Brent[/name] now prefers [name]Vivienne[/name] to [name]Vivien[/name], it makes me love it even more! I think if [name]Sophia[/name]'s popularity is bothering you so much (and I can see why it would) I don’t see much point in keeping it on the list because [name]Brent[/name] doesnt love it either. [name]Vivienne[/name]'s your fav, [name]Annabel[/name]'s his and [name]Madeleine[/name] was your front runner for a long time but [name]Sophia[/name]'s never been either of your favourites. It seems it’s only there because it ‘goes’ with [name]Gabriella[/name], but to me ALL your name choices do anyway and it’s more important you guys love the name than love the sibset (both if possible!). I’d only ever use a super popular name if I really loved it, because then I wouldn’t care about popularity!

[name]Just[/name] my thoughts :slight_smile:

Oh plus I was thinking, if [name]Sophia[/name]'s outta the picture there’s more time for [name]Vivienne[/name] to grow on [name]Brent[/name] :wink:

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Erica[/name]…I’ve been following your posts, and I just wanted to weigh in on the popularity issue. I work in 2 elementary schools, and I have only met 1 [name]Sophie[/name] and 1 [name]Sophia[/name]! [name]Both[/name] are very classic names that I am surprised more parents have not chosen in my area (CT). I agree that [name]Sophia[/name] goes best with [name]Gabriella[/name], but I also love the name [name]Vivienne[/name] [name]Lily[/name], so that is my first choice. :slight_smile:

Also, I am one of those parents that chose [name]Emily[/name] for my daughter, just as the name was becoming popular. (My husband was just as picky as [name]Brent[/name] :wink: , so it was very difficult for us to agree on anything!) i.e. [name]Caroline[/name] was too “Kennedyish” to go with our Irish last name :roll: , and [name]Julia[/name] was too “Spanish sounding”! :? ) We chose [name]Emily[/name], a classic, for our now 8-year-old daughter, and guess what! She is only one of two Emilys in her grade! So it worked out okay.

omg alissa,
I know exactly what you mean!! I don’t know if you read this in my other posts or not, but when we were talking about [name]Madeleine[/name], anytime someone asked us what names we had picked out I felt like I had to explain [name]Madeleine[/name] by saying, “Well it’s the only name [name]Brent[/name] likes,” etc, etc. And I could just see us announcing her name at the hospital and having all the nurses and stuff rolling their eyes thinking, “ANOTHER [name]Madeleine[/name]?” I dunno, maybe I care too much what other people think. And I just thought the exact same thing about an [name]Emma[/name] the other day! One of the sports caster people brought his new baby on the air and [name]Emma[/name] was her name. And I know, they are popular for a reason (they’re great names!) but it just seems so unimaginative and cliche.

So, I really hope the thing happens at the hospital where we see her and magically know what to name her. Everyone keeps saying that, but I just can’t imagine that happening! Babies all look like wrinkly, cone-headed aliens when they’re born LOL; how is one supposed to look like a name more than any other?! I asked [name]Brent[/name] about that last night too and he said he doesn’t want to wait until we get to the hospital to decide. :stuck_out_tongue: Although if I stall, I guess he doesn’t have a choice!

My sis was over the other night and kept pressuring us to do [name]Victoria[/name], too…[name]Brent[/name] and I both think that name is alright, but again, I despise all the nicknames. Maybe we should just name her [name]Gabrielle[/name] LOL!

I keep thinking about the name [name]Seraphina[/name], too…I think the angel association with both [name]Gabriella[/name] and [name]Seraphina[/name] is so sweet. I wish [name]Brent[/name] liked that name, too! Urgh. Anyway. Maybe I’ll ask him about [name]Viviana[/name] and see if he still hates that one…

[name]Seraphina[/name] would be lovely [name]Erica[/name]! Find out if he’d prefer that to [name]Sophia[/name] :slight_smile: And I think [name]Seraphina[/name] could carry the middle name [name]Lily[/name] too :slight_smile:

But don’t joke about [name]Gabrielle[/name], [name]Erica[/name]! I read an article about a woman the other day who had about ten kids, and two of them were twins called [name]Gabrielle[/name] and [name]Gabriella[/name] :expressionless: No word of a lie! I wanted to cry when I read it :S I hope they don’t call them both [name]Gabby[/name]!

kyemsma,
thank you for the post! I just think it’s so weird [name]Sophia[/name] is so common yet it seems there aren’t many kids named [name]Sophia[/name]/[name]Sophie[/name]. Maybe there are more names in the “pool” now or something, so when it’s #4 it’s still not really that many kids that are named [name]Sophia[/name]? I dunno…does that make sense? Hmm. Well, maybe we’ll still keep it in the running.

That is good too about your [name]Emily[/name]…I think I read a post of yours a long time ago about that. Did you guys live in the country and then when you moved to the cities you realized it was pretty common? I can’t remember if that was you or not! Anyway, I’m glad it’s less prevalent than you had thought, and I’m sorry you have a difficult DH, too. :frowning: Thank you for following along with me this whole time!

LOL [name]Laura[/name], I just read your post :slight_smile:
Yeah, I already know he hates [name]Seraphina[/name], unfortunately :frowning: He hates the “-fina” at the end, for some reason…he says it reminds him of the old gas station [name]Fina[/name]. Seriously. I don’t even think they have those anymore!!! Anyway, of course I am totally kidding about the [name]Gabrielle[/name]/[name]Gabriella[/name] thing, although sometimes I feel [name]Annabel[/name] isn’t a whole lot different! :stuck_out_tongue: Especially after irisrose (I think it was her!) mentioned the “-ab” AND the “-el” similarities! Which I hadn’t even considered. :frowning:

Oh, yea, [name]Seraphina[/name] “[name]Sera[/name]” would be gorgeous with [name]Gaby[/name]'s name! Too bad [name]Brent[/name] doesn’t care for it! [name]Sarina[/name]? [name]Sarita[/name]? [name]Serena[/name]? Hm. Still loving [name]Sophia[/name]…

L

PS Oh, I just realized that “ab” and “el” connection, too! Hm. :-/

[name]How[/name] about [name]Sabrina[/name]? It would go very nicely with [name]Gabriella[/name].

Yea, good thinking, @kyemsma! I don’t even know if that one has been suggested yet! Pretty amazing. [name]Gabriella[/name] and [name]Sabrina[/name] - I like that.