♦️The Limited Naming Pool for Latinos – Thoughts on our List?

I think [name_m]Apollo[/name_m] is lovely but as Pollo is chicken in Spanish I might spell it [name_m]Apolo[/name_m] or go with similar Apolon to avoid nasty nicknames, especially in an environment where both languages are spoken [name_m]Apollo[/name_m] can quickly turn into “A Chicken”.
[name_u]Or[/name_u] you could make a cute nickname out of chicken from the very beginning and make it a positive association - not sure if that would work, though.

1 Like

@TeaJay I LOVE Emilio; I think we might go with it someday, that is, if we don’t end up going with Emilia for a girl :joy: Marco, Matias, & Antonio are right up my alley, they’re so handsome! & I have Augustin down as an honor middle name; thank you so much for your suggestions!!

@OpheliaFlora Ahh, I didn’t even think about that, good eye! I might have to consider the Apolo spelling now. I believe the Greek God in Spanish is also spelled Apolo, so thank you for your feedback ! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I also need names that work in [name_f]English[/name_f] and Spanish, so I know the struggle. [name_f]My[/name_f] dear partner also doesn’t want to use any name even the most distant relative or neighbor in Mexico has, even if we never see them!

Luca/Luka - lovely, although yes, popular. I don’t think that inherently should count it out, though.

[name_m]Santiago[/name_m] - I like [name_m]Santiago[/name_m], but probably like just [name_m]Tiago[/name_m] more. If you are worried about popularity probably not for you.

[name_m]Abel[/name_m] - at #181 I don’t think I would call [name_m]Abel[/name_m] popular. The pronunciation in [name_f]English[/name_f] and Spanish is a bit different, but if you are okay with that I would say I think this is a VERY good option.

[name_u]Atlas[/name_u] - I think this is a nice name and could work in both languages, although it may feel a bit trendy in a few years.

[name_u]Orion[/name_u] - I can’t decide if I think this works in Spanish…I feel a strange nickname coming

[name_m]Romeo[/name_m] - adorable name. We all know there will be comments about the name, but I think it probably is livable.

[name_m]Apollo[/name_m] - with this spelling I don’t think this works in Spanish. The “pollo” comment someone else made, plus it would be pronounced the same as the word “apoyo”

[name_u]Rio[/name_u] - I think it is cute, and there are plenty of word names in Spanish, but I wonder if a “new” word name would cause some raised eyebrows. I think it is worth keeping on the table.

[name_m]Santos[/name_m] - I love this! I do think pronunciation in [name_f]English[/name_f] would start with an A sound like in cat. However, I think people could be corrected to a long A sound.

I don’t know if I would say the pool of names is smaller, per se, although many families do have lots of repeats of names given for other family members. There is a world of old fashioned names (Nazario, [name_f]Basilia[/name_f], etc.), although I don’t think those would maybe be your style, as well as names that are not Hispanic in origin, but work in Spanish. I think of [name_m]Ethan[/name_m], [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], [name_f]Abigail[/name_f], [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u], [name_u]Kimberly[/name_u] etc. that I have seen used by Spanish speaking families and work well. It is hard when you are drawn to a naming style that doesn’t have a great counterpart in another language - [name_u]Everest[/name_u], for instance, feels very in style in an [name_f]English[/name_f] language circle, but I am not sure how to capture that same feel in Spanish, because it is about more than just sound or popularity.

1 Like

@tfzolghadr Thank you so much for all the advice! Yeah I’ve thought about how trendy or dated my favorite names could be in 2-3 years’ time, so I guess it’s good to have backups for them, in case that becomes a worry! Maybe by then Rio or Romeo will be seen as a bit more “wearable” too, or my SO will grow to love Caspian just as much as you and I do! :sweat_smile: From your suggestions, I’ve definitely considered Emilio, Emiliano, Ronan, Cosmo, & Dario! But Emilian, Finlo, & Stellan sound very nice as well, thank you!!

@Beort12 Lol!! I completely understand the struggle, I think your partner and I are just as picky over “not even the most distant relative” part :joy: And then there’s my SO who is picky on a different forefront: Pronunciation + Distinctiveness. I think you are completely right in saying I am drawn to a specific naming style, but not all names with that style work in Spanish necessarily, and that’s the issue with us. I love the sound of Luka, Santiago, Liam, Emilio, & Mattias, for example, but I guess since they’re more “heard of” they don’t feel as distinctive. It’s just something I have to work on, so hopefully, when the time does come, I can come to terms with the fact that we just need to stick to the names we love and feel right, rather than care about high popularity! I really appreciate your thoughts, and I hope we can both find names that suit us! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Luca/Luka - As a teacher, I’ve taught tons of Luca’s over the last decade. I have one in a class now, and last year had three, as well as a [name_m]Lucas[/name_m] (I teach age 10 to adults). If you’re worried about popularity in the U.S., this may be on its way down the list, but it’s still the most popular you have.

[name_m]Santiago[/name_m] - I love it, but I know it’s popular, particularly with Latinos. It might make a great middle.

[name_m]Abel[/name_m] - I’ve never met an [name_m]Abel[/name_m] or taught one, so this popularity is surprising to me. I love just [name_m]Abe[/name_m] too.

[name_u]Atlas[/name_u] - I think this should be a solid option. It’s not too trendy at all, I don’t think.

[name_u]Orion[/name_u] - While a cool name, I know an [name_u]Orion[/name_u] who often gets called [name_u]Ryan[/name_u] (even by teachers who know his full name). I would also agree with you that some native Spanish speakers might have a hard time with pronunciation.

[name_m]Romeo[/name_m] - There’s a little too much attached to this name for me to use personally, at least as a first. It’s nice, though.

[name_m]Apollo[/name_m] - I love it for you. Seems like a good choice.

[name_u]Rio[/name_u] - I also like this and have it as a middle on our own list. Good choice!

[name_m]Santos[/name_m] - I don’t think there’d be too much problem with pronouncing [name_m]Santos[/name_m] in [name_f]English[/name_f]. It’s pretty straightforward.

I love [name_u]Atlas[/name_u], [name_m]Apollo[/name_m] and [name_u]Rio[/name_u] for you.

1 Like

I love [name_m]Romeo[/name_m]

1 Like

[name_m]Apollo[/name_m], [name_u]Rio[/name_u], and [name_m]Santos[/name_m] sound good to me.
[name_m]Apollo[/name_m]- Greek God and [name_m]Apollo[/name_m] [name_m]Creed[/name_m], really nice strong sounding name
[name_u]Rio[/name_u]- The boyfriend from [name_u]Jem[/name_u] and the Holigrams, but also i’m if [name_u]River[/name_u] is a good enough name [name_u]Rio[/name_u] is that but far better and cooler sounding.
[name_m]Santos[/name_m]- You live in [name_u]Texas[/name_u] everybody knows how to say it…but even SAN-TOS isn’t awful sounding but I’m pretty sure everybody knows its Sahn-tos

1 Like

@Scottie491 Thank you! That’s a pretty interesting observation you noted for Abel & Luca, I’m curious to see how they do in the next couple of years. I think you’re right, Rio & Atlas seem to be like the winners for me here!

@18_25 Lol very true, I think either pronunciation for Santos will work, I think it’s growing on me regardless! Also, I’ve never seen that movie, and the first place I heard Rio from is on the show Good Girls, but I’m so glad you find it cool as well!

1 Like