The May Quest #2: Whittled Down Middle Names

See the results of this poll: Which one is your favourite?

Respondents: 54 (This poll is closed)

• May Eluned [EL-in-ed] : 18 (31%)
  • May Leopoldine [LEE-oh-POL-deen] : 8 (14%)
  • May Leontine [lee-ON-tyne]: 32 (55%)

I like [name_f]May[/name_f] [name_f]Leontine[/name_f].

[name_f]May[/name_f] [name_f]Leontine[/name_f], though I find the emphasis on -ON- a bit unnatural as I only know it as [name_u]LEE[/name_u]-on-tyne or lee-on-TEEN.

I also love [name_f]May[/name_f] [name_f]Leontine[/name_f]! The others are not bad - I just think [name_f]May[/name_f] [name_f]Leontine[/name_f] is gorgeous.

Thank you, everyone!

@opheliaflora - I would stress [name_u]LEE[/name_u]-on-tyne too just on its own, but in a combo with a one syllable name (which of course is stressed) I tend to shift the stress to the second syllable. Not consciously - I guess it’s just awkward to say otherwise.

Like the English pronunciation of [name_f]Leonie[/name_f] (lee-O-nee) instead of [name_m]Leon[/name_m]-[name_f]Tyne[/name_f]?

Similar question about [name_f]Leopoldine[/name_f], do you really emphasise the -[name_m]POL[/name_m]- part of the name instead of the -[name_u]DEEN[/name_u]?
I’m asking as it seems so unnatural to me but maybe it’s not in English?!

[name_f]May[/name_f] [name_f]Leontine[/name_f] for me. I keep wanting to pronounce it lay-ON-teen, but as a middle name I suppose the point is moot.

I’m not sure what the ‘English pronunciation’ of [name_f]Leonie[/name_f] is . . . ! I wouldn’t say either [name_f]Leonie[/name_f] or [name_f]Leontine[/name_f] with a long oh sound, like in opal or oval; the on of [name_f]Leonie[/name_f] would be more like uhn, whereas [name_f]Leontine[/name_f] has a much more defined “on” sound (like onto or onwards).

Yes, I do! It seems unnatural to me to put the stress at the end :slight_smile: It has a natural rhythm in English - [name_u]LEE[/name_u]-oh-[name_m]POL[/name_m]-deen, like [name_m]DUN[/name_m]-duh-[name_m]DUN[/name_m]-duh, whereas lee-oh-pol-[name_u]DEEN[/name_u] makes the name sound rushed - I have to say the first three syllables quickly to leave room for the end stress. It’s similar with two-syllable [name_m]French[/name_m] names like [name_f]Pomeline[/name_f] - though pom-LEEN is more authentic, it’s so much more natural for me to say [name_m]POM[/name_m]-leen.

@pacifica - The lay-on-teen pronunciation is pretty, too, but I find it too rhymey with [name_f]May[/name_f]. And I guess I say lee in my head anyway :wink: