The name Abel

i adore the name! do you think the teasing would be too horrible ?

Um… I think I like [name]Abel[/name]… Wait… Yes, I do! Ok so that’s that out of the way, I think it’s a strong name actually and looks good written down.

The teasing on the other hand, well I think that’s going to be hard to escape but I think it shouldn’t be too bad. I mean there’s nothing else kids could get out of it apart from the word able and be able is a good thing so I don’t see it as a major problem. Of course he could get things like ‘let’s disable him!’ from really mean kids but that’s worst case scenario.

What kind of middle names were you thinking of using? I personally think it needs something long and traditional as [name]Abel[/name] is a short, rather old name. Overall if you like it, I can’t see any real problems with it, so I would say go for it!

I think its a nice enough name, but I can’t get passed “[name]Cain[/name] and [name]Abel[/name]”…

I think it is as good an option as any other biblical name, actually I like it more because you don’t hear it as much. I always liked the name [name]Cain[/name], but since he was the bad brother I would never use it. I can’t think of anything offhand that would provoke teasing. Was there something specific you had in mind?

Ditto

At least [name]Abel[/name] wasn’t the jealous, murderous brother.

i was thinking [name]Abel[/name] [name]Jim[/name] [name]Clifford[/name] NN [name]Jimmy[/name], if the teasing was too bad

I think [name]Abel[/name] is a lovely name for a boy! He sounds like a sweetie- and you get the English word bonus with “able”. Sure, the Biblical one met a rather unfortunate end, but then so did the martyrs and Saints that so many babies are named for. :slight_smile: The only thing I’d watch out for would be any possible brothers he might have in the future…definitely give them an equally positive name, so that they don’t suffer any “[name]Cain[/name]” teasing!

Would you consider [name]Abel[/name] [name]James[/name] nn [name]Jimmy[/name]? I think [name]Jim[/name] is too much of a nn itself to give as a full mn. Also is [name]Clifford[/name] a second mn or your surname?

I seriously wouldn’t worry about the teasing since you really like the name and see no reason why he should be called by his mn just because of that. There have been lots of great Abels too like [name]Abel[/name] Tasman, the explorer.