The name Enzo

The Nameberry Facebook page posted this name not long ago and I really liked it. I ran it by DH and he really adores it (apparently…his tastes change like the sunrise). Thing is, we really like it as is, not short for anything. That’s not a total deal breaker here, but it’s different than most of what we usually look for in a name. We live in [name_u]America[/name_u], where nickname names haven’t every really been as popular as they have in, say, Great [name_m]Britain[/name_m]. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] could stand alone? Or do you think it would be better used as a nickname for something like [name_m]Vincenzo[/name_m] or [name_m]Lorenzo[/name_m]?

What middles would you pair with it? From my signature, I was liking [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Franklin[/name_m], but I’m not sure.

I think it stands well on its own - it doesn’t sound like a nickname to me, though I am already acquainted with it, possibly due to that and the -o ending. It would sound nicknamey with a -lly or -lie ending. Being English, I’d always imagined the Americans were nuts for nickname names, but that could well be a misconception.

[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Franklin[/name_m] is magnificent. I don’t think I can top it, but I’ll have a go!

[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_u]Douglas[/name_u]*
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Matthias[/name_m]
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Paul[/name_m]
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Timothy[/name_m]

[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Garrick[/name_m]
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Rupert[/name_m]
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Abraham[/name_m]

[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_u]Kingsley[/name_u]
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] Palliser
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Fielding[/name_m]*
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Godfrey[/name_m]

[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Percival[/name_m]
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Tiberius[/name_m]
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Washington[/name_m]

[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Prescott[/name_m]
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Cotton[/name_m]*
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_u]Guthrie[/name_u]*
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_u]Dallas[/name_u]

[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Frederick[/name_m]*
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Raphael[/name_m]
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Heathcliff[/name_m]
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Magnus[/name_m]

[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m]
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Taft[/name_m]*
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Harrison[/name_m]
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_u]Flynn[/name_u]*

I love it & think it absolutely stands on its own.
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Franklin[/name_m] is fantastic also.

Couple of other suggestions:
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Gideon[/name_m]
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Lysander[/name_m]
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Leander[/name_m]

It definitely can stand on its own, it’s a great name. Growing up, I was friends with an [name_m]Enzo[/name_m], and no one thought twice about his name…everyone loved it actually

I personally don’t like [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Franklin[/name_m], but only because it’s nms, and I don’t think it has great flow, although it’s not bad.

[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m]
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Donovan[/name_m]
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Fitzwilliam[/name_m]
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Oliver[/name_m]
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Tyrell[/name_m]
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]

I like [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] fairly well. There was a man who was the father of two girls I went to school with whose name was [name_m]Vincenzo[/name_m] (he went by both [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] and [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] pretty interchangeably), and he taught Spanish to the lower grades at my private [name_m]Christian[/name_m] school. He was a seriously cool guy, so I like the association, but I think [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] is pretty usable here as a standalone. I don’t see it as [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] or [name_f]Gracie[/name_f], for example, which are obviously nicknames. I see it more like [name_f]Sadie[/name_f], [name_m]Jack[/name_m], and [name_f]Tessa[/name_f], which are all nicknames, too, but most people don’t seem to put [name_f]Sarah[/name_f], [name_m]John[/name_m], and [name_f]Theresa[/name_f]/[name_f]Teresa[/name_f] on the birth certificate to get to them anymore. I think [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Franklin[/name_m] is pretty cool, too. Me, being stupid, I like [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Vincent[/name_m], too, haha. A few other ideas:

[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Julian[/name_m]
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Frederick[/name_m]
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Charles[/name_m]
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_u]Elias[/name_u]
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_u]Jameson[/name_u]
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]

Good luck!

@morning_glory: Awe, thank you :slight_smile: and eh, us Americans seem to be fond of nicknames in practice, but not on the actual birth certificate :wink: ah, I love all of your suggestions! I’ll have to write them down and pass them on to my husband and see if anything jumps out at him! They’re terrific! Thank you!

@kayti: Thanks! I love [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m], [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Gideon[/name_m], [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], and [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Leander[/name_m] from your suggestions! Sadly, my husband has vetoed [name_m]Gideon[/name_m] and [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] is the name of one of his friend’s kids, so he doesn’t want to use it even as a middle name :frowning: too bad…I really like those names.

@fullabeans: Thank you! [name_f]Glad[/name_f] to see [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] has gotten some use and has been received well in real life :slight_smile: I do agree about the flow of [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Franklin[/name_m]. Sometimes, it sounds fine to me, but other times, I don’t care for it. Sigh. I love [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] and [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] Alistar!

@[name_u]Ashley[/name_u]: Thank you for your feedback! That’s a sweet association with the name! To me, it gives off a friendly vibe, and that sort of helps confirm that haha. I do like [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Vincent[/name_m], too, actually lol. [name_m]Felix[/name_m] was actually one of the first names my husband and I agreed on, so good call with that suggestion! I also really love [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] and [name_u]Jameson[/name_u] from the suggestions! [name_m]Charles[/name_m] is actually the name of my husband’s late grandfather, so that could actually work for us! I adore the [name_u]Elias[/name_u] suggestion! DH and I are huge Disney fans and that would provide a tie to [name_m]Walt[/name_m] Disney…so I think I would be able to swing my husband towards liking that one pretty easily.

My husband has sort of cooled on the name but I’m liking it more and more. According to Nameberry, [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] is sort of an Italian form of [name_m]Henry[/name_m], which is terrific…DH has a grandfather who passed at a young age and his name was [name_m]Henry[/name_m]. We both like the name [name_m]Henry[/name_m] but worry about using it because we don’t want to cause any sadness to relatives. [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] would be a nod to the grandfather and also to my heritage, which is another bonus. Looks like this gets to stay on the short list! Thanks for all the help, guys!

I think it can definitely stand on it’s own. If the similar sounding name [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] can, so can [name_m]Enzo[/name_m].

I love [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Franklin[/name_m]!

I am the mama to an [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] :slight_smile: His nickname is [name_m]Zo[/name_m].

[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]

[name_m]Enzo[/name_m] is my top contender for a little boy. I adore the name. [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] is also an Italian variation of [name_m]Henry[/name_m].

I’ve decided we’ll use [name_m]Henry[/name_m] as his name on paper but he will be known to everyone else as [name_m]Enzo[/name_m]. I’m just not brave enough to use [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] by itself.