The name Imogen

My SO & I both love the name [name]Imogen/name for a girl but I have got nothing but negative feedback from the name. I know ultimately it is what we want to name the child but I was just wondering if my family is too traditional or if noone at all cares for the name. Opinions please! =)

[name]Imogen[/name] is a lovely name. Depending on where you’re living, it may be a bit offbeat for a more traditional family. It is chosen more in [name]Britain[/name] than [name]North[/name] [name]America[/name]. I always suggest to prospective parents NOT to tell anyone the name you’ve chosen until you’ve signed the birth certificate. I’m sure when the baby arrives, your family and friends will get use to it soon enough as their love for your child will override any misgivings. I wouldn’t let people’s negative comments dissuade you if you and your SO love the name. Best wishes!

I love the name! Really, I adore it. I live in the US (midwest) and met a baby [name]Imogen[/name] recently – very exciting for me! She was adorable, too. It made me fall in love with the name, and I am sure the same will happen to your family.

[name]Hi[/name] good to hear from you. I live in Australia and it is becoming more popular over here and deservedly so as it is a beautiful name. My daughter has a baby girl and she was going to name her [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Bluebell[/name] and recently we had a mother on nameberry who loved this combo and there are many on nameberry who like it too.

As far as I can understand the U.S. may mispronounce the ‘gen’ part not as ‘jen’ but as jean which is wrong and it would annoy me if I heard someone say it this way, however, if someone says it incorrectly just gently correct them, it won’t take long for them to catch on, and I am sure that with a little persistance with the family they will come around to loving it.

So, please keep [name]Imogen[/name] it is a beautiful Shakespearean name and a great choice in these days. I love it!!!

lots of best wishes

rollo :slight_smile:

I agree with rollo! You should just print out the nameberry description of [name]Imogen[/name] and hand it out to people as a leaflet if they give you any flack! It’s a pretty great endorsement. I would and someday may use it since I have a [name]Jean[/name] in the family I would love to honor and it’s somehow connected even if you don’t ironically prn it to rhyme w/ [name]Jean[/name].

I love [name]Imogen[/name]! It was on my list but I have decided on [name]Isolde[/name] instead!
I say do with it because it is a lovely name and you obviously love it. All of my family hate [name]Isolde[/name], but we are still using it because ultimately it is my child!

[name]Just[/name] to offer the opposite POV,I know that [name]Imogen[/name] is totally tasteful and a NB fave, but to my (Southern American) ears, it just sounds kind of awkward and strange. I think an American child is in for a lot of mispronunciation, at least until it gains some more popularity.

[name]Imogen[/name] is a favorite here on NB, and while I see the appeal I just dont like the sound. I think to most Americans it will come across as akward sounding and will often be misspronounced. If you still love the name then I say go for it. It would also make a lovely mn.