The Name Johan

I considered [name_m]Jonas[/name_m] and [name_m]Jonah[/name_m] first. I preferred [name_m]Jonas[/name_m] more but the S lettered last name didn’t flow well with it, and [name_m]Jonah[/name_m] is too soft for the sound I am looking for. Anyways I dig the sound of [name_m]Johan[/name_m]. Question is, is it too odd for an American boy? Would you know how to pronounce it? [name_m]How[/name_m] does it sound paired with potential middle names [name_m]Johan[/name_m] [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] or [name_m]Johan[/name_m] [name_u]Emerson[/name_u] “Jem”? All responses appreciated!

Not sure about a US kid, but it’d work in [name_m]Oz[/name_m], though probably get a few using J to say it instead of Y first go. I like it! It’s smart. Yohan, [name_u]Rohan[/name_u] or [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] might be other options.

I come from a Dutch speaking background would say [name_f]Yo[/name_f]-han. I have lived in various parts of the US. In [name_m]New[/name_m] [name_f]England[/name_f], I think you would get mostly [name_f]Yo[/name_f] han, but I grew up in [name_u]West[/name_u] [name_f]Virginia[/name_f], in that area you would definitely get more [name_u]Jo[/name_u]-han. As far as it working, I think it would work great!! [name_m]Even[/name_m] if people mispronounced it at first, it would be an easy correction. I much much prefer the YoHan pronunciation, but either would work in the US. Its a nice update to the classic [name_m]John[/name_m], and trendy [name_m]Jack[/name_m].

I love [name_m]German[/name_m] names so [name_m]Johan[/name_m] has always been on my radar, especially because my dad’s name is [name_m]John[/name_m]. However, I would pronounce it [name_f]Yo[/name_f]-hahn and I think it would just be foreign to a lot of people. That being said, my husband’s name is [name_m]Klaus[/name_m] so we are used to correcting pronunciation and repeating the name for people who don’t recognize it and it’s not that bad :slight_smile:

[name_m]Johan[/name_m] is really handsome! I don’t know about Americans but most Europeans I know are familiar with [name_m]Johannes[/name_m], so we’d be able to guess [name_m]Johan[/name_m] is yo-hann. Still, it’s not that hard correcting the people who might not get it. So I definitely find it usable.
I love [name_u]Jem[/name_u] so my vote goes to [name_m]Johan[/name_m] [name_u]Emerson[/name_u].

I was born and raised in the US, don’t know any other anglo-language, but [name_m]Johan[/name_m] looks like [name_f]Yo[/name_f]-hahn to me.

I would say it is a fairly common name. It ranked number 501 in 2017 according to the SS website, so its definitely not rare. I think most people would pronounce it as [name_f]Yo[/name_f]-han. Of your two options, I prefer [name_m]Johan[/name_m] [name_u]Emerson[/name_u]! They sound relly nice together!

[name_m]Just[/name_m] a quick extra note to say if you’re hoping for [name_f]Yo[/name_f]-hahn (how I would think to say it), it might be giving mixed messages to have the nn [name_u]Jem[/name_u]. If you want nn [name_u]Jem[/name_u], I would use [name_m]Jeremy[/name_m] or other.

Thanks everyone for responding.

[name_m]Johan[/name_m] [name_u]Emerson[/name_u] nicknamed as [name_u]Jem[/name_u] would indeed be a bit of a mixed message because [name_m]Johan[/name_m] is pronounced with a Y. As well I think most people are used to the spelling [name_m]Johann[/name_m] which I like but prefer [name_m]Johan[/name_m]. I may just stick with [name_m]Jonah[/name_m] or find a different J name.

I would definitely pronounce it [name_f]Yo[/name_f]-han, and honestly I would think it was pretty silly to pronounce it with a J sound. It would definitely lead to confusion!

I agree that for most northern Europeans the name [name_m]Johan[/name_m] would probably be easy to pronounce/recognise. I am acutally surprised the name is ranked 501 in the US. But just FYI if think some Dutch people would immediatly draw some connection [name_m]Johan[/name_m] Cruijff (a famous footballer (by this a mean soccer) from the Netherlands) partly because name is not really given to children anymore and was popular in the 1960s/70s-ish I think. [name_m]Just[/name_m] think you might wanted to know :wink:

I also would have said Yohan because [name_m]Jonah[/name_m] in Hebrew is [name_m]Yonah[/name_m], the J letter doesn’t exist in Hebrew so it’s replaced with a y-ish sound. I think I lot of people would have trouble pronouncing this name.

Being familiar with this name I immediately said [name_f]Yo[/name_f]-han, and as other people have said, it can be easily corrected. I once taught a boy called [name_m]Javier[/name_m], where the J is a H sound and I think that is more confusing than [name_m]Johan[/name_m] in my opinion!

I’m in the US and I pronounce [name_m]Johan[/name_m] as [name_f]Yo[/name_f]-hahn.

I really like [name_m]Johan[/name_m] and I don’t find it hard to pronounce. I live in the UK and this name is fairly familiar here because of European celebrities (like [name_m]Johan[/name_m] Cruyff). [name_m]Even[/name_m] if people do mispronounce it, it’s fairly easy to correct.

It’s a very handsome name and I would know how to pronounce it, but I think it would be a little strange on an American boy with American parents. It just doesn’t sound quite right with a US accent.