The name Neriah for a girl

I heard this name about a year ago and I like it. I think it’s uncommon without being weird. I don’t want to use a really common name (i.e. top 100) but I don’t want to use something incredibly unusual. I haven’t found much about the name [name]Neriah[/name] for a girl and I was just hoping to get some opinions about it. Hubby and I are planning for kids but not TTC yet so no rush. One name he picked that I do like a lot and probably will use is [name]Erika[/name] [name]Jade[/name] (the ‘K’ because I’m [name]Kim[/name]) - to give an idea for a possible sibset. Cheers.

This name is new to me, but it’s pretty! I don’t know if it goes with [name]Erika[/name] well, since [name]Erika[/name] is so common no matter where you live, and it seems that [name]Neriah[/name] is very uncommon. Could you reserve [name]Neriah[/name] for a middle name?

This is the beauty of starting to gather names early, though, you’ll have plenty in reserve for when the time comes!

What about [name]Sariah[/name]? Doesn’t sound as unusual as [name]Neriah[/name]. Might go better with [name]Erika[/name].

I don’t really like any really uncommon names. [name]Neriah[/name] just struck me. I’m not aiming for unusual names. It’s weird cause it sounds fairly “normal” to me although I had never heard it before. I’m from Australia and I’m not sure of [name]Erika[/name]'s popularity over here (my hubby and I don’t know any) - I’m more against using names like [name]Emily[/name] or [name]Madison[/name] (i.e. things in the top 50 names of most Western countries) or [name]Jessica[/name] or [name]Sarah[/name], because I know about 8 of each. Another name we have come up with is [name]Lorelai[/name] [name]Alexis[/name]. I wouldn’t use [name]Alexis[/name] as a first because it is popular right now but we both like it and it is in honour of a family member so we’ll probably use it as a middle name (same with [name]Jade[/name]). The only problem I have with [name]Lorelai[/name] is the flow of the name + nicknames. I can’t think of any shortenings (and in Aus everything gets shortened) that I’m happy with. At least we have one name we are really happy with so it might not be an issue, but I’d like to have two or three for each gender and name them after they are born depending on which fits best. Right now I’m just floating [name]Neriah[/name] to see what people think. My list (I welcome any ideas that suit my, as I call it, “vowel/soundy” theme) so you get an idea:

[name]Alexis[/name]
[name]Amara[/name]
[name]Ariana[/name]
[name]Brianna[/name]
[name]Chantel[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Ella[/name]
[name]Ember[/name]
[name]Erika[/name]
[name]Jade[/name]
[name]Joslyn[/name]
[name]Kaitlyn[/name]
[name]Keira[/name]
[name]Lorelai[/name]
[name]Makayla[/name]
[name]Neriah[/name]
[name]Nova[/name]
[name]Octavia[/name]
[name]Piper[/name]
[name]Riana[/name]
Solayna
Talayna
[name]Tamara[/name]
[name]Willow[/name]

Thanks for the input - it is greatly appreciated.

WDYT of [name]Nia[/name] ([name]Nye[/name]-ah) for a nickname and also a more ‘normal’ alternative if needed?

I honestly do like it a lot. It”s exotic and unique. My only problem is that ”Octomom” named one of her kids that”and that could be a negative connotation. But if that doesn’t bother you much, then I say use it!

Thanks for that. I had no idea. That’s kind of why I’m floating the name here. I think its good to test a name. However, I’m in Australia so even though we know of her, I think its probably not a strong enough connection. In a year or two, when and if I use the name, everyone here who does know that probably would have forgotten all about her. That’s always the trouble with names. When my mum named me, [name]Kimberly[/name] was rare here. And then Melrose Place and the [name]Pink[/name] Poweranger (even though they were well after me) and I got teased quite a bit. All you need is one person to kind of ruin a name. But I still love it. I think its because my mum put so much though into my name that I’m this precise. My name runs in the alphabet like hers and has the same number of letters as my birthday. So I was bound to be picky. The problem I have with [name]Neriah[/name] is that none of my other names are unusual or really uncommon eg. [name]Erika[/name], [name]Jade[/name], [name]Piper[/name], [name]Lorelai[/name], [name]Wyatt[/name], [name]Owen[/name], [name]Bryce[/name], [name]Riley[/name] (although none of these are as common here as they are in the US).

Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile: