The name P.J. Can I learn to love it?

My husbands name and middle name is [name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_m]John[/name_m] and he is a 3rd. Our baby son due in [name_u]August[/name_u] will most likely carry on the name. I would prefer to call him P.J. to avoid name confusion, and so he can sort of have own name identity.

I’m looking for some feedback on the nickname P.J. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think this is dated? [name_m]Will[/name_m] it age well? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you know any P.J.s? [name_m]Will[/name_m] he be teased?

I knew a kid when I was growing up called PJ, so to me it feels dated since he’s the only one I’ve ever known. But I don’t think that my experience is the benchmark. I don’t know why he’d be teased; kids are called by initials all the time. I don’t know how it will age. To me, it feels like a kid’s name, since it was a kid I knew and not an adult. But, as an adult, he could choose to go by [name_m]Peter[/name_m] at college or at work, and use PJ around family when there are other men named [name_m]Peter[/name_m] in the room. Another thought could be to give him another first name and use [name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_m]John[/name_m] in the middle?

Hmmm interesting thought on different first name. My husband isnt opposed to changing the name… but I know in the end, family pressures will lead us to go with P J the 4th

I don’t love PJ because it reminds me of, well, pajamas. But it’s a pretty common initial nickname, so I think it’s definitely wearable. [name_m]Just[/name_m] not my fav.

Have you thought about other nickname options? The fourth is tough, but I’ve heard of [name_f]Ivey[/name_f]/[name_m]Ivo[/name_m] (as a play on IV). Or you could use a nickname that has nothing to do with [name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_m]John[/name_m]—[name_m]Bud[/name_m], [name_u]Dusty[/name_u], [name_u]Sonny[/name_u] (I love this one!).

We ran into a young PJ (almost 2, they also called him [name_m]Pete[/name_m] so assuming he was a [name_m]Pete[/name_m] [name_m]Jr[/name_m]) at [name_m]Chick[/name_m]-fil-a the other day! I also grew up with 2 PJs. I don’t find any of the initial names to be dated personally. I think it ages fine and he can always use [name_m]Peter[/name_m]/[name_m]Pete[/name_m] professionally when he gets older if he chooses to do so.

Your first paragraph is all that I’m thinking and even B.J. Reference. Blaaa. I would love to change name but I feel like it’s out of my hands… maybe he could go by [name_m]John[/name_m]… but I don’t love that either

Depending on how adventurous you are, you could get something out of the IV:

Quad
Quatro
Quatre
Vier
etc… maybe pick a language related to your heritage

[name_m]Junior[/name_m]
[name_m]Fort/name_m
Jive? from initials §JIV

My niece ([name_u]Alexis[/name_u]) was called Peetie, no reason, but she WAS very petite. :slight_smile:
What is your husband called? If he’s [name_m]Pete[/name_m], call the baby [name_m]Peter[/name_m]. If he’s [name_m]Peter[/name_m], call the baby Peetie/Petie.
I see no problem with PJ, but [name_m]Chip[/name_m], since he’s a chip off the block (dad) works for a life long nn.

I never known anyone called P.J, it’s not bad, I just think of pyjamas…

Another idea is to call him [name_m]Jack[/name_m], as a nn for [name_m]John[/name_m]…

I think PJ is cool. It’s always been a favourite initial nickname of mine, along with AJ. I know two PJ’s. It fits both well and they are super generous people!

I’ve always thought PJ is the most friendly sounding of all the initial nicknames; most bother me, actually, but PJ does not. I also think calling him “[name_m]Pete[/name_m]” would be nice; [name_m]Peter[/name_m] is a fantastic name, and I respect your willingness to keep it in the family.
Other possible nickname ideas to try out (they’re all kind of a stretch):

• Pejo (PAY-jo, from [name_m]PEter[/name_m] [name_m]JOhn[/name_m])
  • Peej (kind of like “[name_f]Peach[/name_f]”
  • [name_m]Peto[/name_m]
  • [name_u]Jay[/name_u]

Best wishes!

I know a PJ in his late 20s. I also know a few younger CJs. I don’t think its dated at all. He can also use [name_m]Pete[/name_m]/[name_m]Peter[/name_m] professionally if he feels its to unprofessional, though my one coworker is CJ and goes exclusively by that even in a professional setting

I, personally, am not a big fan of PJ, nor have I ever met one. You could always go by [name_m]Pete[/name_m] but that sounds like a dog’s name to me. You could also go by his middle name, [name_m]John[/name_m].

My friend married a PJ. I can’t even remember what PJ stands for because he never uses it. He’s about 30 and it still fits him well. I think it’s a good way to give your child his own identity if keeping the tradition going is important to you and your family. Good luck.

I knew a couple of kids who went by initials as a kid. As an adult, I’ve run in to one child who goes by initials.

My brother was nearly a IV, but his mother wanted a middle name, and for him to go by it. Instead of [name_m]Brantley[/name_m] LastName IV, he’s [name_m]Brantley[/name_m] [name_m]Charles[/name_m] LastName, and goes by [name_u]Charlie[/name_u].

Either one works.

[name_f]Susan[/name_f]

I’ve only heard of two PJs; one is PJ [name_m]Harvey[/name_m] the singer & the other wasn’t a real person; she was one of [name_f]Barbie[/name_f]'s early 1970s friends.

Would it be possible to add a second middle name & use that as the primary name to call him by? Maybe a name from your side of the family?

PJ is the only initial nickname I like - I think it’s really sweet and friendly, and doesn’t open them up to teasing at all

I like the suggestions of [name_f]Ivey[/name_f] or [name_m]Ivo[/name_m] to play on the IV thing. [name_m]Quade[/name_m] is a cool name meaning ‘born fourth’, which would make a lovely name for him to go by

Other nicknames for [name_m]Peter[/name_m] you might want to use are:

[name_m]Pedro[/name_m], [name_m]Pierce[/name_m], [name_m]Pio[/name_m], [name_m]Peto[/name_m], [name_u]Perry[/name_u], [name_u]Perrin[/name_u], [name_m]Pero[/name_m], [name_m]Petru[/name_m]

[name_m]Peter[/name_m] has the meaning of ‘rock’, so [name_m]Rocky[/name_m] might be a creative and fun nickname

From [name_m]John[/name_m], you have the options of [name_m]Johnny[/name_m], [name_m]Jack[/name_m] and [name_u]Jay[/name_u]

Any of these appeal?

I’ve known JRs and JPs but no PJs. The boys I mentioned did not get teased, but because PJs also means pajamas the possibility is there.

I think my perception on this one would greatly depend on the personality of the child/adult. Isn’t that the truth with any name? I kind of imagine a PJ as a funny, charming, goofy life-of-the-party person, and in this case I like it.

You didn’t mention if your hubby goes by [name_m]Pete[/name_m], but I like this suggestion if not. Or by the middle name, [name_m]John[/name_m]? I know several people who’ve done that.

Or, use the initials P & J as inspiration and go with another name combo you truly love if this one isn’t sinking in!

I met a little P.J. when my son [name_m]Paul[/name_m] was little this boy was also a [name_m]Paul[/name_m] but didn’t respond to the name. I’m of course really biased but I thought how lucky my little boy was to get to use the handsome name [name_m]Paul[/name_m] and her kid’s initials reminded everyone of pajamas. [name_m]Peter[/name_m] and [name_m]John[/name_m] are some of the nicest names around. If using [name_m]Peter[/name_m] would be too confusing - though your husband will be mostly dad around the house - I’d use [name_m]John[/name_m].