The name Velma?

what do you think about it? I already love it, I never noticed it until recently…

I think of the Scooby Doo character and then Velveeta - I have to say I’m not really a fan. Must be something about the combination of letters that I don’t like because I love [name]Vivian[/name] and wouldn’t find [name]Elmo[/name] too bad if not for the [name]Sesame[/name] [name]St[/name] character. Though I don’t like [name]Alma[/name] either…

Not too bad, actually. Yes, I think of the Scooby Doo character, but I definitely don’t see Velveeta. Actually, if you read the proper information about it, you might like it more:

(From Nymbler)

A girl’s name of [name]German[/name] and Greek origin that is not currently in fashion. [name]Velma[/name] was most popular in 1921 and is currently not among the top 1000 U.S. girls’ names. Meaning: [name]German[/name]: a form of [name]Wilhelmina[/name].

I love that its a form of [name]Wilhelmina[/name], so if thats too much for you, [name]Velma[/name] is a nice choice. I also love the similar [name]Wilma[/name].

It was my great grandmother’s name.

Yep, all Scooby Doo. That’s not necessarily a bad thing though.

Sorry, but I don’t find the name at all appealing. To me it sounds very outdated, old-ladyish and Teutonic. It also reminds me of [name]Wilma[/name] and [name]Thelma[/name], which have the same associations for me. I live in a part of the US that experienced a large [name]German[/name] immigration, so names like [name]Velma[/name], [name]Thelma[/name], [name]Wilma[/name], [name]Elma[/name], etc. were quite popular way back when – perhaps late 19th to early 20th century.

I do have one positive association with the name – my husband’s cousin [name]Velma[/name] [name]Louise[/name], born in 1929 and always called by the double name to distinguish her from her Aunt [name]Velma[/name]. I think “[name]Louise[/name]” greatly improves the name. [name]Velma[/name] [name]Louise[/name] is a wonderful woman, beloved by all the family.

I can’t get past the Scooby Doo association! I like Scooby, but I was never fond of the [name]Velma[/name] character.

Scooby aside, it sounds too old-fashioned (even now) for a little one to be running around with and may lead to mockery when she’s older.

Here are some other ‘V’ names:
[name]Victoria[/name]
[name]Valerie[/name]
[name]Violet[/name] (a personal favorite)
[name]Veronica[/name]

I like the Scooby-Doo association - but I don’t like the name [name]Velma[/name]. I think of Vellum paper (nice paper, actually) and Velveeta. I think this time of [name]German[/name] name is a little tough and old-sounding right now. [name]Selma[/name] and [name]Salma[/name] and [name]Alma[/name] are more Latin and [name]Selma[/name] or [name]Salma[/name] only seems to get a pass because 2 young actresses make it sound not so bulky and granny.

I was looking up the name [name]Emma[/name] last night, I don’t remember why, but it is also a [name]German[/name] name related to [name]Irma[/name]. So close and yet so much more attractive sounding. It is a short form of names beginning with “Ermen” such as Ermingard, Ermingild, Ermintrude. Yet it sounds lighter and softer like [name]Emily[/name], ultimately a Latin name. A name like [name]Velma[/name] can sound vampy, wispy, breathy, exotic, even pretty, if people didn’t automatically associate it with other names like [name]Helga[/name] or [name]Bertha[/name]. I put it in that category of names associated with unattractive qualities unfortunately (my great-grandmother was [name]Bertha[/name] and I am actually starting to like it a little, but it’s a heavy load to bear for a small child). Other [name]German[/name] names like [name]Greta[/name] and [name]Liesl[/name] seem utterly different - [name]Wilhelmina[/name] itself is only beginning to seem ok to people - it doesn’t resemble the English form [name]William[/name] and I think some people still regard it as heavier than say, [name]Josephine[/name], or [name]Henrietta[/name], but it sounds nice so it slips easily into those fashions, the feminized long names.

While [name]Matilda[/name] may start to get more popular, a name like [name]Zelda[/name] is still sort of Hipstery, but a [name]German[/name] name like [name]Hilda[/name] might seem a lot more plausible in today’s atmosphere. Names like [name]Helga[/name], and [name]Velma[/name] and [name]Wilma[/name], may start to filter in and sound nice to people. I think some here may like the name [name]Winifred[/name] but it seems still sort of outrageous - imagining and having a kid with a name you love is two different things. I think if [name]Helga[/name] and [name]Wilma[/name] start to sound fresh and modern to people, a child may not mind it so much (who knows), but they will cycle back out and sound heavy and bulky and not sweet to people, the poor outcasts of names (I might add that I think people really like Irish names more for some reason, some of which sound as tough on the senses as hard [name]German[/name] names like [name]Velma[/name] - that’s another reason to give it a push). I do think they may come into style someday, but just as much, they will go out of style and people will ask what were they thinking? A name like [name]Ashley[/name] might sound dated, but not too many people will say it sounds like someone who could beat you at arm-wrestling.

I have a [name]Bertha[/name] in my family tree and it is starting to sound nice to me, but I think I wouldn’t do that to a child, more likely a [name]Martha[/name] - I don’t know why these two names sound like night and day - [name]Martha[/name] still has a ways to go, but [name]Bertha[/name] is miles behind it. [name]Bertha[/name] is almost as cute as [name]Beatrice[/name] to me (I actually don’t like [name]Beatrice[/name] that much, but it seems currently “acceptable”), and I’ve known some young Marthas who made that name sound a lot better than it otherwise would. You may use the name [name]Velma[/name] with some caution that some people will just hate it, while your daughter could carry it well and stand out. I think the trouble with names is that if you don’t know anyone with the name, it could sound too ugly, but if you know someone, and for that, someone has to dare to use the name, it stands to gain a lot of acceptability. [name]Velma[/name] and her best friends [name]Kaylee[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] and such. They probably wouldn’t even notice, or they’d think it was cool in a retro or ethnic way, similar to the way I regard some names like [name]Phyllis[/name] and [name]Martha[/name], an example of a parent naming a child contemporary with names like [name]Jessica[/name] and [name]Lisa[/name] and [name]Megan[/name] and [name]Krista[/name], with strikingly cool results.

I think of [name]Velma[/name] [name]Kelly[/name] from Chicago. Great musical, fascinating character, although she was a murderess… I like quirky names with interesting history.

I definitely think of Scooby Doo and Chicago… use it if you love it! its definitely original and V names are great! :slight_smile: and it would be a great middle too!