The New Seawillow: Boys Edition

I really respect this decision. I know it’s a hard one to make! We hope to do right by our children, and raising them with the belief we feel will bless them the most is always an act of love! But is is also an act of respect to leave them room for their own self-expression and unique views. I really respect it.

I feel the same way about some of my favourites; albeit they are on the other end of the religious spectrum! I absolutely love [name_f]Lilith[/name_f], but would not use it out of respect for the fact that my child may grow up to see her as a demonic figure.

It’s a decision we all have to make to some extent, but it doesn’t mean you have to completely rule out anything religious! I think, as in most things, it’s about finding balance.

For example (I know this is the boy’s thread, sorry for giving feminine examples!) I love the name Ostara, and even though she is a pagan goddess of spring, it’s also the root of the word [name_f]Easter[/name_f], which is a celebration of [name_m]Jesus[/name_m]’ rising from the dead. I feel like this name has a little wiggle room for different beliefs, despite being a “pagan” name.

I’m sure you can find similar flexibility in many of your wonderful, religious faves!

There is really no name in the universe that has no connotation or expectation wrapped up in it. [name_f]My[/name_f] advice would be to try and strike the balance between something that is wearable and something that uniquely expresses you and your special viewpoint.

After all, the greatest gift you can give in naming your child is to give them a name that reflects love, strength, positivity, wisdom, beauty and all other positive attributes, and if that looks like religious names for you - then more power to you!

PS, for what it’s worth, [name_m]Clarence[/name_m] Evermore, [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m] [name_f]Wildrose[/name_f], [name_m]Linus[/name_m] Bluebird and [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] [name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m] are absolutely DIVINE

2 Likes