The origins of Estee

Hello Berreis

I was looking through NB and found this name and was wondering what is the origin of the name is and is it okay if i have it on my list?

1 Like

I believe it is a nickname/diminutive of Esther. It could also be used as a short form of Estelle/Estella. I think it’s fine to have on your list! Esther is the name of a Jewish hero - her Hebrew name Hadassah may be questionable for non-Jewish use but Esther is fair game. Estee is a really pretty name too!

3 Likes

I believe it has a [name_u]French[/name_u] origin and as nameaddictmadison says, it comes from [name_f]Esther[/name_f] or [name_f]Estelle[/name_f]. I think it’s fine to have on your list :slight_smile:

1 Like

I find that Behind the Name is generally the most reliable website for name origins.

Apparently it’s a diminutive of Esther that was made well-known through Estée Lauder, who founded the cosmetics company of that name.

It is not French - or at least, it was not used in France until recently.

2 Likes

It’s [name_u]French[/name_u]!

[name_f]My[/name_f] little SIL’s name! :heart_eyes: They are a French-speaking family. Yes, it’s a modern diminutive form of [name_f]Esther[/name_f], most closely associated with [name_f]Estée[/name_f] Lauder. She was born [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Esther[/name_f] Mentzer to a Hungarian mother and Czech father, and she took the name [name_f]Estée[/name_f] from a variation of her childhood nickname, [name_f]Esty[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_f]Este[/name_f] is also a Hebrew form of [name_f]Esther[/name_f]. So it comes from the Persian name [name_f]Esther[/name_f] meaning ‘star’ :slight_smile:

The words [name_f]Star[/name_f], [name_f]Esther[/name_f], aster etc. All come from the same etymology for most indo-European languages :slight_smile: