The Other Violet?

I love the name [name_f]Violet[/name_f], don’t get me wrong.

I think of delicate, lady-like [name_u]Devon[/name_u] [name_f]Violet[/name_f] cologne.

I think of [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_u]Vale[/name_u] in [name_f]Anne[/name_f] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables.

And I think of the violets my grandmother grew which I am now establishing decades later in my own shade garden.

But, I am sick of seeing this name everywhere on nameberry!

[name_f]Viola[/name_f], also the name of the tiny pansy and violet-like [name_m]Johnny[/name_m] Jump-Up is lovely and floral too – any thoughts on why it hasn’t risen in popularity? It also has nice Shakespearean and musical associations.

I think that since [name_f]Violet[/name_f] shares a similar ending with popular [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] it feels more accessible.
Although [name_f]Viola[/name_f] has the fashionable -a ending, I personally don’t enjoy the ‘[name_m]Ol[/name_m]’ syllable.

[name_f]Violet[/name_f] and [name_f]Viola[/name_f] seem like two completely different names to me.

They probably seem similar to me because I garden and the plants are similar (as well as the first four letters).

My favourite is actually [name_f]Violette[/name_f] :slight_smile: [name_f]Viola[/name_f] still feels a bit old-ladyish to me

For some reason, [name_f]Violette[/name_f] reminds me more of the word violence, otherwise I would love it. I do love [name_f]Violetta[/name_f] though, operatic as it sounds!

I think some of [name_f]Viola[/name_f] issues is of its meaning in spanish. [name_f]Viola[/name_f] (Vee- ol- la) is the conjugated form of Violar, which in spanish means to rape/violate. I also agree with one of the pp that the ol sound is unpleasant to me.

[name_f]Viola[/name_f] sounds like the word violate to me…I just think it’s an ugly name. [name_f]Violet[/name_f] only ever makes people think of the flower or the colour…as much as I want to love [name_f]Viola[/name_f] for it’s Shakespearean connections, I just don’t.

[name_f]Viola[/name_f] is beautiful. It was on my list but my husband couldn’t get past the musical instrument. He would sarcastically say, “[name_m]How[/name_m] about violin instead?” :rolleyes:

There’s also the pronunciation issue. Vee-ola versus Vai-ola.

That’s all I can think of. I wish it was more popular than it is. It’s always baffled me.

I think people aren’t sure how to pronounce it, perhaps.

Vee-ola or [name_f]Vi[/name_f]-ola or Vy-la.

[name_f]Megan[/name_f] Hilty used this name pronounced Vyla like more in tune to [name_f]Maya[/name_f] or [name_f]Skyla[/name_f] for her daughter and said she knew they saddled her with correcting people on how to say it.

Also people get stuck in a rut and keep trends going.

[name_f]Violet[/name_f] and [name_f]Viola[/name_f] are not the same name to me. [name_f]Violet[/name_f] is a the current strong contender for the baby I am currently TTC and I have to say, between [name_f]Violet[/name_f] and [name_f]Viola[/name_f]–I’d go with [name_f]Violet[/name_f] every single time. It’s the same thing that someone who likes [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] may not like [name_f]Olive[/name_f]. Or, like me, I love the name [name_f]Olive[/name_f] and hate [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]. It’s slight differences that can put people off. For me, [name_f]Violet[/name_f] has a nice sound, I love the -et ending. [name_f]Viola[/name_f] on the other hand just sounds…off.

In my accent the emphasis is very different - it’s [name_f]VI[/name_f]-o-let and [name_f]Vi[/name_f]-O-la. That could be a contributor?

I prefer [name_f]Violet[/name_f] due to a family heritage connection, actually, so I’m afraid I won’t be much help to explain it. I think [name_f]Viola[/name_f] is lovely as well, but I just don’t envision myself ever being the mother of a [name_f]Viola[/name_f], and that’s sort of my #1 thing when narrowing down a list - if I can picture myself calling up the stairs for little [name_f]Violet[/name_f] or [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]/Sybbie or [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] or what have you to come down the stairs for her breakfast/lunch/dinner, then it remains on my list. [name_f]Viola[/name_f]'s never passed that test for some reason. I love [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m]‘s Twelfth [name_m]Night[/name_m], and I love the modernization of She’s the [name_m]Man[/name_m] to make the play more accessible to younger generations (they maintained most of the main characters’ names in the film, [name_f]Viola[/name_f] being the lead character still), but nope - still unable to picture myself telling little [name_f]Viola[/name_f] that it’s time to come downstairs for her supper. (Although, if I did have a [name_f]Viola[/name_f] - [name_f]Viola[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] [name_f]Anne[/name_f] is my combo for it. It was on my list until I realised that I’d never see myself using it)

I think I love [name_f]Viola[/name_f] most because of the darling flower and [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] and the instrument and the way it looks on paper.

I don’t love the way it sounds so I get what you are saying - nice name, nice associations, harder to imagine calling it out to your daughter.