The Problem With Alicia.

I really like the name [name_f]Alicia[/name_f]/[name_f]Alisha[/name_f], and I’m considering shortlisting one of the two spellings, but I’m a little conflicted by it.

[name_f]Alicia[/name_f] is beautiful, and my favourite spelling but I can’t help but want to pronounce it as [name_m]Ah[/name_m]-lee-see-ah. That pronunciation is really pretty, but not what I’m going for.

My other option is [name_f]Alisha[/name_f], which gets me the pronunciation I want but spelling wise, it’s not very aesthetically pleasing for me.

Another issue I have, is that [name_f]Alicia[/name_f] has so many alternative spellings and pronunciations, like my own name. I almost always have to correct the spelling of my name, and I would hate to choose a name that has that same kind of issue, unless I really like, absolutely, 100% adored it (Like [name_f]Kristen[/name_f]).

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you prefer the [name_f]Alicia[/name_f] or [name_f]Alisha[/name_f] spelling (ah-leesh-ah)? And do you think the corrections are worth using the name anyway?

Not to complicate things, but I would probably pronounce [name_f]Alisha[/name_f] like uh-lish-ah. [name_f]Alicia[/name_f] feels like the most intuitive spelling. I’d say it’s more like [name_f]Kristen[/name_f], where there is a definite popular spelling, than your own name, where several spellings are used equally.

[name_f]Alicia[/name_f] is a beautiful name, and it fits well into your style. I know you’re not looking for suggestions, but there’s also [name_f]Alyssa[/name_f]—similar, but without the pronunciation problem.

I know an [name_f]Alicia[/name_f] pronounced uh-liss-ee-uh. She normally gets it pronounced uh- leesh-uh by new people.

For me, the spelling that would be simpler & most likely to result in the pronunciation you want is [name_f]Aleesha[/name_f].

If I were choosing between [name_f]Alicia[/name_f] & [name_f]Alisha[/name_f], I’d go w/[name_f]Alicia[/name_f]…it’s the traditional spelling & I think you’re more likely to get A-[name_u]LEE[/name_u]-sha from that spelling than from [name_f]Alisha[/name_f].

I definitely prefer [name_f]Alicia[/name_f] of the two. There’s also [name_f]Alesha[/name_f] (I know two girls with this spelling) and it’s never been mispronounced to my knowledge!

I’ve only ever heard [name_f]Alicia[/name_f] being pronounced uh-leesh-ah in real life (as opposed to on name websites), and if I heard that someone’s name was “uh-leesh-ah” I would automatically assume it was spelt [name_f]Alicia[/name_f].

The [name_f]Alisha[/name_f] spelling doesn’t look as pretty to me, and I think you would actually have more spelling issues with it.

Oh god, [name_m]Ah[/name_m]-lish-ah is a pronunciation too? Lol I’ve never heard that one before! [name_f]Aleesha[/name_f]/[name_f]Alesha[/name_f] isn’t really appealing to me. I mean I can kind of get on board for [name_f]Aleasha[/name_f] but even that I’m not crazy about, haha!

I think [name_f]Alicia[/name_f] is the best spelling, I would assume it’s uh-[name_u]LEE[/name_u]-shuh

I definitely prefer [name_f]Alicia[/name_f]. It is generally the more common spelling of the name, especially in the 70s/80s as is your style, and honestly, it looks more streamlined and tidy than all of the variations with Y’s and S’s going on (though I do like the suggestion of [name_f]Alyssa[/name_f] which would also fit your style well).

Yes, with [name_f]Alicia[/name_f], occasionally some might say uh-[name_u]LEE[/name_u]-see-uh, but a quick correction should be all it takes to set them on track thereafter. It helps that you don’t mind the alternate pronunciation, just preferring the other, as if you hated it, it being inevitable on occasion, would be irritating.

I prefer [name_f]Alicia[/name_f] because it looks pretty. [name_u]Elisha[/name_u] is an alternate that sounds the same and might be closer to what you want though.

I would pronounce [name_f]Alicia[/name_f] as “uh-[name_u]LEE[/name_u]-shuh” until corrected, and I agree that the spelling is prettier and I would go for [name_f]Alicia[/name_f] despite the issues.

I much prefer the [name_f]Alicia[/name_f] spelling and would assume it’s pronounced A-leesh-ah. I noticed recently on a UK name forum about the same issue that most people there seem to pronounce it A-lees-ee-ah. I’m in Australia and would assume the first pronunciation. Is there a US/UK divide on this one? Regarding [name_u]Elisha[/name_u], I see that as a male name pronounced [name_f]El[/name_f]-eye-shah.

My best friend’s name is [name_f]Alicia[/name_f] and I have literally never seen or heard of anyone mispronouncing or misspelling her name.

I’m glad [name_f]Alicia[/name_f] seems to be the way to go! Lol I live in [name_f]Canada[/name_f] and have heard it go both ways ([name_f]Alicia[/name_f] Silverstone actually at one point said her name was [name_m]Ah[/name_m]-lees-see-ah, and several of the “big girls” I went to school with in the 90s followed suit - I hung out with girls four grades ahead of me because they lived in my neighbourhood lol) so I’ve always been a little hesitant.