the problem with Hugo and Theo...

[name]Hi[/name] everyone,

I’d love some opinions on how these names go with our last name: [name]Connell[/name].

My husbands family is Irish, and the name was originally O’[name]Connell[/name], but the O was dropped some years ago when family immigrated to Australia.

Does [name]Hugo[/name] [name]Connell[/name] just sound like Huug…O’[name]Connell[/name]
and [name]Theo[/name] “The O’[name]Connell[/name]”

[name]Do[/name] the O endings just run into [name]Connell[/name] and make you hear O’[name]Connell[/name]??

With [name]Theo[/name], I would officially name [name]Theodore[/name] - but it would definately be mostly shortened to [name]Theo[/name].

Is this all just an ugly mess of clashing names? Woulkd really appreciate your thoughts…

:slight_smile: [name]Claire[/name]

I don’t think it’ll be an issue because Huug and Thee aren’t names so it wouldn’t make sense… do you know what I mean. As opposed to a name like [name]Leo[/name], which could sound like [name]Lee[/name] O’[name]Connell[/name]: an actual, familiar name. I wouldn’t worry about it :slight_smile: they’re cute names!

^ What she said.

Honestly, I wouldn’t have even thought of that if you hadn’t of mentioned the name used to be O’[name]Connell[/name]. I have a cousin named [name]Conall[/name], so I just assume it’s simply that. I don’t think it’s a big deal. They’re cute.

Thanks guys… it was actually my mother who mentioned it. Before yesterday, it hadn’t occurred to me.

Thank goodness I don’t have to cross the 2 top names off the list!

:slight_smile:

I agree with you and your mother that the names [name]DO[/name] run together and form sort of an awkward sound. [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Connell[/name] works much better so if “[name]Theo[/name]” is used informally as a nn without the last name it might still be okay. [name]Hugo[/name] [name]Connell[/name] is difficult to say five times fast.

It might be weird, but it’s not that bad…

In some Latin American countries (such as Mexico and [name]Argentina[/name]), there are quite a few people of Irish descent. And some of them do have names that end in -o and last names like O’[name]Connell[/name].

BTW, Chile’s first president was named [name]Bernardo[/name] O’Higgins. He was of Irish descent through his father.