The problems with naming a second daughter

We have three older children (ages 12, 10 and 8) and found out that we are expecting a little surprise blessing in [name]September[/name]. We don’t know yet if we are having a boy or girl and would like to have a name for each ready. The older children are [name]Joshua[/name] [name]David[/name], [name]Noah[/name] [name]Brian[/name] and [name]Autumn[/name] [name]Grace[/name]. We also had a little boy named [name]Levi[/name] [name]Paul[/name] that was born into heaven four years ago. When I was pregnant with my oldest my husband and I picked out two boy names and two girl names for future children. And have since used all but the last girl name… [name]Hope[/name]. Right now we are leaning towards [name]Hope[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name]. But the middle name is still open to be changed.

The problem is that after thirteen years, the name [name]Hope[/name] just isn’t feeling very fresh to me. But my husband is pretty stuck on it. I do like it, and see that it would be a good name for this particular baby since this pregnancy will be a pretty difficult one for me. Kind of a light at the end of a dark tunnel sort of thing. In contrast, I chose the name [name]Autumn[/name] [name]Grace[/name] 11 years before she was born and she is now 8. So I have had this name for the past 19 years and I still am completely head over heels in love with it. I wish we could use a name that I love so unabashedly, but the only name that is inspiring the same kind of devotion in me is [name]Ruby[/name]. The name chosen by one of my husband’s cousins who we see once a year, so that name is out. I just feel like we are gypping a new daughter somehow if I don’t use a name that I love as much.

Is it common to feel this way about a name chosen for a second boy or girl? I don’t feel that way about my boy names since [name]Joshua[/name] was husband’s choice and [name]Noah[/name] was my first choice. And actually out of our three boy names [name]Levi[/name] is my favorite (chosen third). What do you think of the name [name]Hope[/name]? [name]Do[/name] you have any suggestions of other names that go well with [name]Autumn[/name] [name]Grace[/name] that I might not have thought of? Here are some other names that I like, but still don’t feel the spark… [name]Juniper[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Esme[/name], [name]Waverly[/name]. Having a very popular name myself, I love that [name]Autumn[/name] is still a relatively rare name (we hear it on other kids occassionally, but no one that we personally know.) I definitely want a name that is as unusual or more unusual than [name]Autumn[/name].

It sounds like [name]Hope[/name] is not the name for you :(, as pretty as it is. [name]How[/name] about [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Hope[/name]? Or:

[name]Amity Hope[/name]
[name]Anastasia Hope[/name]
[name]Elizabeth Hope[/name] or [name]Eliza Hope[/name]

I agree, that [name]Hope[/name] isn’t too fresh. I looked for names meaning hope in other languages, but they don’t fit in with your naming style.

You should choose a name that you’re passionate about. You’re giving your child made from love a name you love. It’s normal to change your naming style and feel differently about names as your life progresses. If you have a bad experience with someone named [name]Hope[/name], then it changes your perception of the name. It’s okay not to use the name or to use it as a middle.

I think that [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Hope[/name] would fit nicer with [name]Autumn[/name] [name]Grace[/name] than [name]Hope[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name]. [name]Evangeline[/name] + [name]Autumn[/name] are both female and longer. [name]Grace[/name] + [name]Hope[/name] are both one syllable virtue names.

If you can’t use [name]Ruby[/name], what about [name]Rubina[/name]? I would only use it as a middle, so as not to step on any toes.

From your spark names:

[name]Juniper[/name]: I have heard that some people hear “Jew nipper”. I wanted to make you aware of it. I think that [name]Juniper[/name] is a very pretty name!
[name]May[/name]: Can either be a month or a virtue name. Using [name]May[/name] as a first name, would be a little much with daughter [name]Autumn[/name].
[name]Lucy[/name]: Very beautiful. It means light, which reminds me of hope.
[name]Esme[/name]: It’s Persian meaning emerald. It reminds me of [name]Ruby[/name]. It’s very stunning!
[name]Waverly[/name]: It’s surprisingly masculine, but also very feminine at the same time. The meaning: meadow of quivering aspens: seems so beutiful to me. [name]Just[/name] the imagery that the name invokes is beautiful.

I think that [name]Waverly[/name] fits the description. [name]Waverly[/name] is unusual and as beautiful as [name]Autumn[/name]. The names are both very nature oriented and appreciative of the world surrounding.

[name]Autumn[/name] [name]Grace[/name] + [name]Waverly[/name] [name]Hope[/name]
[name]Autumn[/name] [name]Grace[/name] + [name]Waverly[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]Autumn[/name] [name]Grace[/name] + [name]Waverly[/name] [name]Esme[/name]
[name]Autumn[/name] [name]Grace[/name] + [name]Waverly[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]

[name]Autumn[/name] [name]Grace[/name] + [name]Waverly[/name] [name]May[/name] [name]Hope[/name]: I think that it’s the most beautiful combination. [name]May[/name] really enhances [name]Hope[/name].

[name]Hope[/name] to have helped. Best of luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Hope[/name] sounds really pretty!

Wow - sounds like there is a lot of emotional energy to be invested in this little baby and her name, please G-d all should go well for you! Having experience with pregnancy loss, I can understand the desire for something really meaningful and perfect.

Here are some more ideas…

[name]Serena[/name] - for serenity and peace
[name]Tikva[/name] - (Hebrew name meaning hope) Very unique, pretty, and uncommon
[name]Odelia[/name] - (I thank G-d) (I’ve heard this pronounced O-dehl-ya and also O-deel-ia)
[name]Ray[/name] or [name]Rae[/name] - like a ray of sunshine and hope at the end of the tunnel
[name]Cadence[/name] - A very pretty musical term for ‘closure’

Good luck!