The Quick Poll Thread! (Part 4)

This is my dad’s name! He says crehg, but gets both. It’s a fairly common name here, and usually it’s with the “eh” sound.

This is very true for the Maritimes accents, where a lot of vowels get replaced with short Es, especially ones at the end of words.

1 Like

I think it depends on how you would like to pronounce it (suh or say). I’m assuming that suh-leen is more common where you are, so adding the accent might help people remember that it’s pronounced say-leen.
There’s also the French fashion designer/brand Céline Vipiana who has a branch in the US, so say-leen might not be totally unfamiliar/confusing (?)

1 Like

Haf is pronounced haav (long a sound)

• Haf
  • Summer

0 voters

and based on looks alone

• Gwanwyn
  • Haf

0 voters

(these are all girl names)

But it’s not pronounced say-leen in French either. It’s actually very close to the English pronunciation of Celine, just that the é is a bit longer than it would be in English. No -ay sound whatsoever.

2 Likes

So I said [name_m]Mateo[/name_m] is possibly more popular in the US because of the Hispanic population here.

For nicknames just “Vee”

I prefer [name_f]Lily[/name_f] and [name_f]Lillian[/name_f].

You’d be right if only the [name_m]Mateo[/name_m] spelling were to be considered!
However, in Europe, Mateo/Matteo/Matheo isn’t seen as a very Italian/Spanish name, everyone uses it.

3 Likes

Coming back to this I think a big part, at least in the US is the unfortunate reality of racism and xenophobia. A white American person naming their child [name_u]Liam[/name_u] is at this point in time is not going to have a very different experience than an Irish person named [name_u]Liam[/name_u] in the US. However a white American naming their child [name_f]Parvati[/name_f] is going to have a different experience than a [name_f]Indian[/name_f] person named [name_f]Parvati[/name_f] in the US. For a white person it’s cool and unique while a person of [name_f]Indian[/name_f] heritage might experience being told their name is too foreign or hard to pronounce and will likely deal with racism and xenophobia due to prejudice against the culture their name comes from. Does that make sense? I do think there’s definitely room for nuance- for example let’s say a white child is adopted by an [name_f]Indian[/name_f] family and wants to name their child after their grandparents- that’s their family and culture. But that’s the rule of thumb I generally use.

7 Likes

[name_u]Love[/name_u] your feminine names, I find [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m] not only a different vibe (surname) but rather unpleasant sounding,

1 Like
  • Cecile
  • Adele

0 voters

Which do you prefer?

• Idony
  • Iduna

0 voters

Which do you think matches my style more?

• Idony
  • Iduna

0 voters

• dorothy colette
  • dorothy scout

0 voters

1 Like

Choose a fave! Made-up girls’ names edition…
:tulip:

• Macla (MACK-luh)
  • Schorla (SCORE-luh)

0 voters

• James Anglesey Thorne
  • James Thorne Anglesey
  • James Anglesey Firefly
  • James Firefly Anglesey
  • James Anglesey Toby
  • James Toby Anglesey
  • James Anglesey Archer
  • James Archer Anglesey
  • James Anglesey Riley
  • James Riley Anglesey

0 voters

• Lydia Agnetha Merewen
  • Lydia Merewen Agnetha
  • Lydia Agnetha Ferelith
  • Lydia Ferelith Agnetha
  • Lydia Agnetha Every
  • Lydia Every Agnetha
  • Lydia Agnetha Willa
  • Lydia Willa Agnetha
  • Lydia Agnetha Rosetta
  • Lydia Rosetta Agnetha

0 voters

Made some alliterative combos out of my masterlist…which are your favourites?

• Alexander Atticus
  • Benjamin Beau
  • Cedric Caspian
  • Darcy Dylan
  • Evan Edmund
  • Felix Finnegan
  • Graham Glenn
  • Hugo Hayes
  • Irving Isaac
  • Jasper James
  • Kieran Kai
  • Leo Laurence
  • Murphy Maddox
  • Nico Noah
  • Oliver Owen
  • Percy Pip
  • Quentin Quinn
  • Reuben Rhys
  • Simon Sebastian
  • Theodore Timothy

0 voters

• Valentine Vincent
  • William Wells

0 voters

I think they both would fit in with your style, so I just voted for my favorite

3 Likes

these are all stunning :heartpulse:

1 Like

pick your favorites based on flow.

sybil
  • sybil june lisette
  • sybil honey lisette

0 voters

freddie
  • freddie mavis june
  • freddie june mavis

0 voters

pearl
  • frankie diana pearl
  • edie imogene pearl
  • libby rosalind pearl

0 voters

dorothy/evelina
  • dorothy evelina jane
  • evelina dorothy jane

0 voters

Are anya & ottilie a little too close for sisters if the a and o make the same sound for me?

• yes
  • no
  • ignore

0 voters