• No.
  • Maybe.

0 voters

As a nickname for Rosalind.

• Indi
  • Rosie
  • Ossie

0 voters

yeah:( my mom’s name means honeybee so I’m always trying to find honey/bee names. when I think of [name_f]Honey[/name_f] as :honey_pot::honeybee: it seems great but when I think of [name_f]Honey[/name_f] as :kissing_heart::two_hearts: I don’t like it

3 Likes

[name_f]Honey[/name_f] is used as a term of endearment much less here in the UK. We’re much more likely to say darling, love, sweetie, duckie or sweetheart. Consequently, it reads as 9:10 pet name for S/O:word name to me. I appreciate that this is rather irrelevant if you’re in the US, but I thought some people may find it interesting or noteworthy!

2 Likes

That’s interesting to hear! I am in the US but I actually know a few girls with [name_u]Love[/name_u] as a middle name (though I guess we’re switched on that one). I’ve always found it more sweet like parent’s love in a name. I wouldn’t use [name_f]Honey[/name_f] or [name_u]Love[/name_u] as a first name, but as a middle name it seems more doable.

1 Like

For those of you who don’t know, I go by Scarlet on the forums. Just Scarlet. It honours A Study In Scarlet (after which my username is) and Scarlet Witch. However it has started to look incomplete to me these days. I now seek a middle name for it. Any other ideas can be conveyed to me either privately or on this thread, but for the sake of not clogging it up, kindly send a private message. I would make this a seperate topic but I am not in the mood right now.

Summary

I wanted to have ‘normal’ names at first but then gradually shifted towards GP middles, because why not?

Scarlet Love: Too wordy? Really subtle honour for Love Story / Lover by Taylor Swift.
Scarlet Grace: Same, but for State of Grace.
Scarlet Vesper: I don’t associate Scarlet with James Bond. I don’t associate Vesper with James Bond. Yet, I associate Scarlet Vesper with James Bond
Scarlet Penelope: Kinda not fond of it.
Scarlet Altalune: No opinion really
Scarlet Gwendolyn: A few letters in Gwendolyn scramble to form Doyle which is the surname of the author of Sherlock Holmes books. I don’t want it to be too reminiscent of Sherlock Holmes.
Scarlet Faerydae: This is where the GPs start rolling in. I like Faerydae but I’m not feeling Scarlet Faerydae.
Scarlet Thallo: “bringer of red blossoms” Amazing meaning, but do the T’s clash?
Scarlet Hyacinth: Started loving Hyacinth lately but worried about the combo being too wordy.
Scarlet Menodora: “gift of the red moon” Nice meaning, nice flow. Easily slips into the top 5.
Scarlet Demeter: Too many E’s?
Scarlet Artemisia: “perfect red” Perfect name as well?
Scarlet Eurydice: Reminds me of blood a lot. Not in a good way.
Scarlet Narcissa: “red daffodil” Top 5 material.
Scarlet Limerence: Wordy but :sparkling_heart:. My heart’s stuck on Limerence.
Scarlet Dangereuse: I may be losing my mind over here. Don’t know about my NB name, but I already found my assassin name.

Top 5

In no particular order,
Scarlet Grace
Scarlet Menodora
Scarlet Artemisia
Scarlet Narcissa
Scarlet Limerence

Sorry for the long post!

• Scarlet Love
  • Scarlet Grace
  • Scarlet Vesper
  • Scarlet Penelope
  • Scarlet Altalune
  • Scarlet Gwendolyn
  • Scarlet Faerydae
  • Scarlet Thallo
  • Scarlet Hyacinth
  • Scarlet Menodora
  • Scarlet Demeter
  • Scarlet Artemisia
  • Scarlet Eurydice
  • Scarlet Narcissa
  • Scarlet Limerence
  • Scarlet Dangereuse

0 voters

• Scarlet Grace
  • Scarlet Menodora
  • Scarlet Artemisia
  • Scarlet Narcissa
  • Scarlet Limerence

0 voters

Thank you so much!

Iphigenia Jane
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Athena, Iris & Iphigenia?
  • You spend too much time on NB dude.
  • Athena and Iphigenia are good, Iris is not
  • Iris & Iphigenia are good, Athena is not
  • Nice, but Iris and Iphigenia are too similar. Keep searching.

0 voters

I love [name_f]Iphigenia[/name_f] and [name_f]Jane[/name_f] but they don’t sound great together imo

11 Likes

regardless of whether or not you like it personally, Georgia Willow

• sounds too much like a species of tree that grows in Georgia
  • sounds like a tree, but not enough to be a deal breaker
  • just sounds like a name to me!

0 voters

I didn’t realize that it sounded like a tree until you pointed it out, though!

10 Likes

Yea it’s too bad, I found some names that could work with similar meanings if you want some ideas!

[name_f]Asel[/name_f] (honey, from Arabic, used in multiple languages)
[name_f]Deborah[/name_f] (bee, Biblical)
[name_f]Erlea[/name_f] (bee, Basque)
[name_f]Esti[/name_f] / [name_f]Eszti[/name_f] (honey, Basque)
Iracema (honey lips, Tupi)
Jacira (honey moon, Tupi)
[name_f]Melia[/name_f] (ash tree but is a diminutive of the [name_f]Meli[/name_f] which means honey, Greek)
[name_f]Melina[/name_f] (honey, Greek)
Melite (honey, Greek)
Miela (honey, Esperanto)
Yaara (honeycomb, Hebrew)
[name_f]Mellona[/name_f] (Roman [name_f]Goddess[/name_f] of bees)
[name_u]Bala[/name_u] (honey, Turkish)
[name_f]Bina[/name_f] (bee, Yiddish and Hebrew)
Bleta (bee, Albanian)
Bonja (worker bee, Albanian)
Florimel (flower honey, Latin)
Iraci (mother of honey, Tupi, Brazilian Portuguese)
[name_u]Mel[/name_u] (honey, used in multiple languages)
Meliantha (honey flower, Greek)
Melangell (honey angel, Welsh)
Mielle (honye, Frech)

Jaara (honeycomb, Hebrew)
Aristaeus (Greek God of bees)
Kanro (honeydew, Japanese)
Maru (the honey, Amharic)

sorry I couldn’t find many boys, a lot more girl names have meanings like that than boys :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

[name_f]Athena[/name_f] and [name_f]Iris[/name_f] are nice but [name_f]Iphigenia[/name_f] is… not my style.

13 Likes

How would you instinctually pronounce Emmeline?

• Em-uh-LEEN
  • Em-uh-LINE
  • Em-uh-LYN
  • Other (Please tell me!)

0 voters

I like [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_f]Iphigenia[/name_f], but I don’t think any of the names really go together. And it’s actually [name_f]Athena[/name_f] and [name_f]Iphigenia[/name_f] that are too similar in the sibset for me, rather than [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_f]Iphigenia[/name_f]

5 Likes

I switch between the -line and -leen pronunciations

5 Likes

After you mentioned it, it could kind of sound like a tree, but that isn’t a bad thing to me? The imagery is beautiful, I think

2 Likes

@ethelmary @TeaJay and @futuremama:

Thank you for replying. I guess [name_f]Iphigenia[/name_f] is back on the GP list for now. :heart:

i love iphigenia (and really like jane) but unfortunately it doesn’t work with jane to me - the “gen” sounds just a bit too similar to jane which makes it sound really awkward to me

i would suggest either using jane with a different first, or putting another middle between them !

5 Likes

Do you pronounce Amelie as

• uh-MEEL-ee
  • AH-meh-lee

0 voters

I believe the typical French pronunciation is AH-meh-lee (and I prefer that one as well) but I’ve only ever heard said uh-MEEL-ee irl

I tend to say “AHM-uh-lee” rather than the “meh” sound in the middle. I’ve only met one but that’s how she pronounced it.

15 Likes