Which spelling? (prn. ray-shh)

• Raych
  • Raysh
  • Reish
  • Raish
  • Raich

0 voters

Hey, I am Romanian :slight_smile:

So about your question regarding [name_f]Viorica[/name_f], I personally think and a lot of my family members think the same that Romanian/Moldovan names can blend into a lot of other European cultures as well. It’s a Latin language and actually matches up with Italian to a great degree and my Spanish speaking boyfriend also can find some relation with it as well. A lot of names that come from separate language branches are mingled in among other branches nowadays. For example: I know people with no Celtic heritage being given Celtic names or people with little to no Slavic heritage given Slavic names. So i think as long as [name_f]Viorica[/name_f] would not appear absolutely strange/totally foreign then it is safe to use.

I love when people take an interest in Romania/Moldova/Romanian and our history and wish more people would! And part of that identity is the names :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I know a male [name_m]Elisée[/name_m] (he’s 28). I’ve always heard that it’s considered male because it’s the [name_u]French[/name_u] form of [name_u]Elisha[/name_u].

1 Like

Sadly, I have to agree with @lateaugust. I’m not Jewish myself but my husband is. We won’t consider very Jewish sounding names like [name_f]Elisheva[/name_f], [name_m]Chaim[/name_m] or [name_f]Rivka[/name_f] for our children because my husband worries about discrimination and antisemitism. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband has a very Jewish sounding name (first and last) and has experienced discrimination because of it. Our children have his very Jewish sounding last name, I’ve noticed people react… strangely to it sometimes. So I’d be careful with a name like [name_f]Rivka[/name_f]. And considering the discrimination Jewish people have suffered and still suffer, and the whole range of feelings surrounding their culture and names, it would feel weird for someone without any Jewish heritage to use a name like [name_f]Rivka[/name_f].

7 Likes

Paride

• Boy
  • Girl
  • Neutral
  • Wouldn’t know

0 voters

It is an Italian name that I would love to give a son! It is mythological, rare here and beautiful. It is 100% masculine, but if you didn’t know / I didn’t tell you, you would assume…

• Peregrine, Solomon, Rosalind and Felix
  • Peregrine, Solomon, Rosalind and Felicity

0 voters

Because Anna Karenina is my favourite book

• Anna
  • Anya / Anja
  • Nina
  • Bonus: Anne

0 voters

And…

• Anya
  • Anja

0 voters

• onnolee
  • murphy

0 voters

Favorite nn for Calvin?

• Cal
  • Vinny
  • Other - to be specified below!

0 voters

@heartwings
I struggle with this too (about [name_f]Zippora[/name_f] in my case).
Would just [name_f]Rika[/name_f] be an option? I know one who wears it well and it has several origins, so that’s not an issue.

@billie_154
[name_m]Felix[/name_m] in general but [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] with this set

1 Like

[name_f]Rika[/name_f] is beautiful, thank you!

Names that remind me of Queens

• Quinn
  • Regina

0 voters

Other Queen meaning names

• Dione
  • Rion
  • Morrigan
  • Ece
  • Queenie
  • Aybuke / Aibuke

0 voters

Using a nickname spelling that doesn’t match (like Lucy “Lou” instead of “Lu”)

• Totally fine
  • I guess it’s fine if you really prefer the other spelling
  • Weird and/or confusing

0 voters

Which goes best with two sisters Zion Ashanti & Shenzi Gaia?

• Eliseu
  • Naveen
  • Raysh

0 voters

Is Davide too femenine for a boy?
I love Davide for a boy now and I would love to have two children in the named Davide (b) and Diletta (g). Davide is also the most common spelling here although David is used too.
It is just that here is 100% masculine but I am afraid that out of my country it is considered femenine because of the E.

• Yes, it is better on a girl.
  • No
  • Maybe
  • As a middle, no

0 voters

What about Elia?
I would love to have children named Elia (b) and Veronica (g). Elia here is gender neutral but currently leaning masc, because few girls are named Elia nowadays (they use Eliana.) Plus Elia is biblical, Elio (from where Eliana derivates) is from the Greek mythology. I would pair Elio with something else (I love Elio too!)
I am just scared that it will be too femenine outside of my country.

• Yes
  • No
  • As a middle, no
  • Maybe

0 voters

I think it’s mainly to do with how often the nickname is used; if it’s only occasionally I think the more intuitive nickname spelling would make the most sense but if you regularly use it in written form as well, it makes sense to go for the spelling that looks more like a name I suppose.
Example, if I were [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] but went by a nickname, I’d still spell it [name_f]Tilda[/name_f] over [name_f]Thilda[/name_f] as the latter looks wrong to me.

1 Like
  • Mila
  • Mira

0 voters

• May
  • Mae
  • Mei
  • Bonus: Maye

0 voters

• May
  • June

0 voters

Crushing on Solomon Ambrose right now! Your favourite sibling pair?

• Solomon and Felicity
  • Solomon and Romilly
  • Solomon and Rosalind
  • Solomon and Cleo
  • Solomon and Leonie
  • Solomon and Evangeline
  • Solomon and Elizabeth

0 voters

• Solomon and Asher
  • Solomon and Lysander
  • Solomon and Felix
  • Solomon and Shiloh
  • Solomon and Peregrine
  • Solomon and Stellan
  • Solomon and Evander
  • Solomon and Leander

0 voters

I was reading over the 1920 US Top 500 for girls – you know, as you do – and I wrote down all the names that stood out to me for whatever reason. Vote for all you like! :woman_shrugging:t3: :upside_down_face:

• Ilene
  • Dovie
  • Julie
  • Judy
  • Catharine
  • Rosalind
  • Diana
  • Elisabeth
  • Roxie
  • Delia
  • Georgie
  • Cynthia