The short and the long of it

So for a little while now my top names have been [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Rose[/name]. I love them both, but I often wonder if longer variants of the names are better. [name]Lucinda[/name] is probably the only longer [name]Lucy[/name] name I’d consider, but I’m not sure about a longer [name]Rose[/name]- name. I love [name]Rosemary[/name] (DBF’s Aunt, so not sure if it’s ok to use), [name]Rosemarie[/name] and [name]Rosalie[/name]. What do you think of those and do you think [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Rose[/name] are perfect as just [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Rose[/name] or would you use a longer variant?

I would probably use a longer one, just because then the name would have more substance and it would age better. Not that [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Rose[/name] aren’t perfectly beautiful and normal names, but it seems to me that it would be better if they had a longer name to fall back on. I’ve just today rediscovered [name]Lucille[/name] as a new favorite (though I assume you already considered that one). It’s like the name [name]Anne[/name]. Would you just name her [name]Anne[/name] or would you give her a name like [name]Annelise[/name] or [name]Annabel[/name]?

I actually have grown to like [name]Lucinda[/name] nn [name]Lucy[/name]! It’s very sweet, and I think [name]Lucinda[/name] and [name]Rosalie[/name], nns [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Rose[/name], would be very sweet together. [name]Rosemary[/name] would be pretty, too. I personally really like [name]Rosabelle[/name], too… except, I keep forgetting your name is [name]Isabel[/name], haha. That would probably not work. I love [name]Primrose[/name], too…

I like [name]Lucy[/name] as a nickname because it seems really childish to me, but I like [name]Rose[/name] all on it’s own.

I don’t really like [name]Lucinda[/name] though. I love [name]Lucia[/name] (I say loo-shuh I think most people on here say loo-see-uh). My favorite longer form of [name]Rose[/name] is [name]Rosaline[/name].

I think it depends on your personal attitude to nicknames. Some berries think they are silly, and some (myself included) absolutely adore them.

[name]IMO[/name], a longer name with a nickname is the best of both worlds. I love [name]Rosalie[/name] nn [name]Rose[/name]! :slight_smile:

I know of Rosemine/[name]Rosemund[/name]

I prefer [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Rose[/name] as is. Though [name]Lucy[/name] is very…childlike in feel to me.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Rose[/name]! I don’t really like any of the longer [name]Lucy[/name] names, but I do like [name]Rosemary[/name]. I may be a little biased, since it’s my Mom’s name :slight_smile: Good luck!

[name]Lucia[/name] and [name]Rosemary[/name] get my vote :slight_smile:
Or just [name]Lucia[/name] nn [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Rose[/name]

I like the flexibility of a formal name to grow into for [name]Lucy[/name] (or at least have that option!) Agree that [name]Rose[/name] can stand alone.

I don’t think [name]Rose[/name] needs anything to fall back on. Plain [name]Rose[/name] is beautiful, and not nicknamey at all. I’m [name]Lucy[/name] and I’ve had no problems with it, and have never felt a need to have a longer version. It doesn’t feel nicknamey to me, but maybe that’s just because its my name. I don’t like [name]Lucinda[/name]. If I were to be anything longer, I’d choose [name]Lucille[/name]. But even at that, I prefer just [name]Lucy[/name].

I think its just a matter of opinion, but I like long forms with nicknames. I love [name]Lucy[/name] as a nn for [name]Louisa[/name] and I think [name]Rosalie[/name] or [name]Rosamund[/name] are beautiful for [name]Rose[/name]. But I think either of them could stand alone also. I think [name]Rose[/name] grows into adulthood better than [name]Lucy[/name], but they are both great.

They are legitimate stand alone names, so I think they are fine just as is.

I think they’re best standing alone. Personally I think you lose a little of the beauty when you bring in a longer form. Also, it could potentially create doubt in the child’s mind about their name - i.e. if they get the sense you feel “just [name]Lucy[/name]” or “just [name]Rose[/name]” can’t stand alone, when this is the name they go by the majority of the time, they may feel as though it’s not good enough.

They’re great names that work beautifully together as a sibset. Sweet without being in-your-face and very spunky!
Excellent choices.

I like [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name] on their own, but I think [name]Rosalie[/name] and [name]Lucinda[/name] would make a beautiful sibset too:)

I think [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name] are lovely names in their own right. But I think I just prefer longer form names because it gives them a few more options when older. They can choose what to be known by. I don’t think being called a nn of a longer name creates any doubt in a childs mind about who they are/what their name is. My name is [name]Rebecca[/name] and I’ve always been called [name]Becca[/name] or Bex and I like that but that also I have a longer more ‘grown up’ name to use for work or applications or forms etc

So [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name] can definitely stand on their own…

But I also like

[name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Luciana[/name]
[name]Lucinda[/name]

and

[name]Rosalie[/name]
Rosabeth
[name]Rosamund[/name]
[name]Rosita[/name]
etc with the shorter nns

Either works!

[name]Rose[/name] is a beautiful name which I feel would suit a girl/woman of any age.
I also like [name]Rosemarie[/name].
As some of the others have said [name]Lucy[/name] is slightly more youthful. But no other [name]Lucy[/name] variants stand out to me & I think it’s just lovely on it’s own :slight_smile:
You have great taste

Thanks everyone! I think I really just love them as is. [name]Lucy[/name] just seems right where as [name]Lucinda[/name] feels a little forced (I love the idea of calling her [name]Cinderella[/name], though haha). [name]Rose[/name] has always been just [name]Rose[/name] really.

I generally don’t like giving a child a longer name just because, esp if the nn is going to be used primarily. But, because I’ve heard [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Rose[/name] so much, I think the longer variants have fresh appeal. Very good sister names :slight_smile: I like [name]Louisa[/name] and [name]Rosemund[/name].

[name]Love[/name] them as it!