The -ska names

I searched the -ska ending a while ago on two different websites because I like the sound of “Alaska” but would never name a daughter that. Several of these have made it to my long list (meaning, far from real “favorites,” but could grow on me if my husband likes any). What do you think?

[name]Aneska[/name] (“lamb of God”)

Kaliska (Native American, Miwok; “Coyote Chasing Deer”)

[name]Kiska[/name]

[name]Kriska[/name] (Variation of [name]Kristen[/name])

[name]Mariska[/name] (Hungarian; diminutive of [name]Mary[/name])

[name]Treska[/name] (Variation of [name]Theresa[/name])

Triska (Slavic; Czech place name and surname; means “Sliver”)

[name]Mariska[/name] was used quite often in the Netherlands in the 1970’s and 80’s. The other names i did not know yet: i like [name]Aneska[/name], but not a big fan of the other names.

Other similar names:
Siska or Ciska (pronounced the same) related to Franciska
[name]Annouska[/name]/Anoeska/[name]Annuska[/name] related to [name]Anna[/name]
Floriska
Januska related to [name]Johannes[/name]
Jiska (male name from the bible)
[name]Joska[/name] relatef to [name]Joseph[/name]
[name]Juliska[/name] also Hungarian related to [name]Julius[/name]

I like [name]Aneska[/name], [name]Mariska[/name] and Kaliska.

Have you considered [name]Eliska[/name]? I think it’s fairly wearable.

[name]Kriska[/name] and [name]Mariska[/name] are cute.

A little different ending, but I like [name]Saskia[/name].

[name]Aneska[/name] intrigues me. :slight_smile: I like the option for [name]Annie[/name] as a nn.

My true favorite -ska name, though, is [name]Eliska[/name]–I have loved it for so long, and that “K” gives it more spunk than just [name]Elisa[/name]/[name]Elise[/name] (or even [name]Eliza[/name]) would have. I would love to meet a little [name]Eliska[/name]!

I really like [name]Mariska[/name] and [name]Aneska[/name]. They’re both very pretty names!

Anouska (though I prefer it as [name]Anoushka[/name]) and Zenouska are my favourite -ska names.

I love them all!

I like [name]Valeska[/name].

My middle name is [name]Mariska[/name], and I’ve had 28 years of “what a beautiful name!” compliments on it. :slight_smile:

My favorites on your list are [name]Aneska[/name] and [name]Mariska[/name] :slight_smile:

My friend’s name is Sietske (see-ska).
It’s Dutch and she gets compliments for it all the time!

One of my closest friends is named [name_f]Saskia[/name_f], pronounced Suh-Skee-Uh, and I call her as a nickname Skia, or Siska or SiskaSkia

I know a girl called [name_f]Elske[/name_f], pronounced elle-ska.

It reminds me a lot of trendy [name_f]Elsa[/name_f], but prettier with a more magical, Scandinavian twist. I prefer it to [name_f]Eliska[/name_f] a lot (pretty, but it sounds like somebody saying the word [name_f]Alaska[/name_f] wrong to me).

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_f]Aneska[/name_f] and [name_f]Mariska[/name_f]. It seems to be a last name according to a quick google search, but I also like Zolynska.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] thought of another - doesn’t end in ‘ska’ but has the same sound: what about [name_f]Francesca[/name_f]?