The Teaser Game

The only possible way he could avoid getting shot now was to run directly under the catwalk, but there was still a pretty good chance they’d hit him. Especially if it was [name_u]Gabi[/name_u] he’d tried to shoot.

Next: shoot

“And then I shoot him.”
“And then you shoot him.”

Next: him

1 Like

“Hold on,” [name_f]Reena[/name_f] interrupted. “Poison? They poisoned him?”

Next word: poison

The door flew open suddenly, revealing, a tall, freckled teenager who did not look happy to have been interrupted. [name_u]Basil[/name_u] recognized him right away and had trouble keeping a poisonous scowl off her face.

Next: scowl

1 Like

[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] delivered the most venom-laced scowl [name_m]Orson[/name_m] had ever seen. And he certainly had earned his fair share of reproachful glances from his mother, growing up.

Next word: glance

“I heard you got into scruffle with [name_u]Wynter[/name_u] again.”

[name_u]Roscoe[/name_u] glanced up at his sister, she looked strangely unbothered. As if this was a normal everyday occurrence.

Next: strange/strangely

While the old role of the whipping boy had long been abolished in his home kingdom of Pelacre, it was still very much a practice here in Etheren. The custom was a strange one to keep around, and quite frankly a horrifying one, but [name_u]Alfie[/name_u] supposed it gave him a job, even if it did hurt to do his duty.

Next: custom

1 Like

“Isabel, you’re being dramatic. They’re just customs.”
“Customs?! They’re chains.”

Next: chain

“—It’s… it’s a chain reaction.”

Next word: reaction

We settled onto the floor, and I caught him up. When it came to the security-guard bit, I chewed on the inside of my mouth. I had no idea what his reaction would be. Then again, it was just an acting job, and he was very good at acting.

next: job

The intense rainfall caused the windows to rattle as it intertwined with the wind, making the looser doors slam at random intervals. [name_f]Every[/name_f] time the sound rang out, [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] jumped. It was just a job, she reminded herself. Still, that didn’t make it any easier to shake the feeling…

Next: hold

[name_f]Tara[/name_f] was thrown back, yet managed to stay on her feet, kicking up a cloud of red dust. She lifted her gaze to meet the Keeper’s, who was holding a glowing white sword to her face.

Next: dust

“What are you going to do?” she asked, standing. Her skirt settled around her, dust catching in her hair.

Without a word, I turned around, leaving the room. I was letting [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] get under my skin—which annoyed me. I was letting her words bore into me, controlling me. But most of all, I just felt so angry at her, that she had so much more than me.

Next: bore

We used the remaining ropes to create a game board, then played Three Across using the random junk in our pockets until we became bored of always tying.

Next: three

I closed my eyes. I had to wait. To hope. To focus on something simple so I wouldn’t panic. One, two, three, I counted in my head, hoping that when I opened my eyes, everything would be okay.

Next word: count(ed)

[name_f]Natasha[/name_f] glanced up from the twisted mass that was Chadwick’s shirt. I didn’t smell any burning fabric yet, but there wasn’t much I could count on. She was practically growling at them, at him.

Next: burn

“I wish I could forget. It’s been four years… why does it still hurt? This constant digging, throbbing, aching, burning pain?”

Next word: pain

1 Like

I threw my body against the door, sending pain through my chest. As I lowered my shoulder to do it again, [name_f]Ksenia[/name_f] jumped in front.

Next: lower

[name_m]Eric[/name_m] was nervously biting his lower lip.

Next word: lip

I bit my lip. “Ah. Yes. Heresy.”

Next: understand