The Teaser Game

I must have eventually fallen asleep, because, the next thing I knew, I was waking up to a sky on the brink of dawn. I couldn’t be sure if the thunderous noise that had woken me was Robin’s snoring or the wheezing of a dying pig, but, either way, it was very loud.
I soon learned that [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] was already awake when he delivered a sharp kick to my backside.
“Get up, girl,” he growled.
He obviously wasn’t a morning person.

next word: deliver

[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] delivered the most venom-laced scowl [name_m]Orson[/name_m] had ever seen. And he certainly had earned his fair share of reproachful glances from his mother, growing up.

Next: share

The archers shared stories of the treachery they saw in the rebellion, how the leaders spoke about freedom and choice but advocated for anarchy.

Next: leader

He was an elite member of the king’s guard, but right now [name_m]Ernest[/name_m] felt like he was playing a silly, childish game of follow the leader.

Next word: follow

The musicians started playing again, a bright melody that carried the air of a warm summer breeze. I followed Cassian’s instructions the best I could, but still ended up stepping on his toes a few times. The steps came easier than the lesson at Raven’s Point, but I was still uncoordinated and stiff, while [name_m]Cassian[/name_m] seemed to glide effortlessly across the floor with graceful, flawless movements.

next word: flawless

Inside the office was Ms. Blaylock, and a woman with dark hair and a silvery suit. She looked all business, her bun low and flawless, her makeup natural, almost like an armor.
“Hello, Andison,” Ms. Blaylock greeted. “This is private investigator [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] [name_u]Shaw[/name_u]. Have a seat.”
I sat down, tense. “Is this about—”
“Chadwick Whitcare?” [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] [name_u]Shaw[/name_u] filled in. “Yes.”

next: greet

“You’re a frosty one, aren’t you?” He extended his hand in a polite greeting, “I’m Arthur–”

Next word: extend

He started with a few quick lines, which he connected and extended into the flagpole from the night before. The banner with the moon, after Cas’ arrow tore through the center, still whipped in the breeze on replay in his mind.

Next: breeze

1 Like

[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] breathed in the salty air, reveling as the cool breeze rushed through her hair. Watching the grayish-purple clouds float along a water-colored sky, the princess felt perfectly at peace… until she heard his voice.

“Hello, Cordelia.”

Next word: voice

2 Likes

I look up at her. “You don’t get it, do you? I killed somebody! Killed him! Sent him straight to hell, ‘cause he was one of Capone’s higher ups!" I choke on my words, but I can’t stop them. So be it. I’ll give up and say them. This is when her faith in me breaks.
This is when I lose my only friend.
"I didn’t even shoot him, didn’t even use a gun, I…I…” [name_f]My[/name_f] voice drops. “I just…just willed his body to stop working. Made his lungs stop sucking air, made his heart stop beating–I made him die! [name_m]Just[/name_m] with my mind! What kind of person does that, [name_f]Ida[/name_f]? Tell me!”

Next word: choke

1 Like

“The Missstresss never treated usss thisss way,” they choked in his vice-grip.

Next: grip

They interlocked by their chests. [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] switched his grip, heaving all his strength at [name_m]Cas[/name_m] who could do nothing but lean back.

“Come on,” he said. “Lose already.”

Next: lean

The innkeeper nodded, then leaned close to [name_f]Lady[/name_f] Umbriel, glancing around as if to make sure nobody was watching.
“Forgive my boldness, milady, but is there any truth to the rumors of the king’s illness?”
[name_f]Lady[/name_f] Umbriel instantly stiffened. “Where did you hear that?” she asked curtly.”

next word: glance

“Do you really think we’re that slick?” [name_m]Cas[/name_m] raised an eyebrow. “I’ve been sneaking in here for five years, and I think they know that.”

He pushed her behind the blanket as though she were a criminal stowaway, then gave the room a quick glance over before dropping onto the bed.

Next: raise

1 Like

“Dylan, have you lost your mind?” the captain erupted, raising his voice to an unnecessary decibel.

Next word: unnecessary

1 Like

He slumped onto his bed, almost vomiting at the lace around the edge of the blue comforter. He wished that life wasn’t so biased, that he wasn’t subject to all the hatred that he received. It was illogical, unnecessary. [name_m]Artie[/name_m] hated it.
[name_f]Dot[/name_f] finally looked up, setting her pencil down. “Artie,” she said. “What’s wrong?”

next: pencil

1 Like

Inside room 402, the princess found a seat and immediately began arranging her materials, neatly placing carefully sharpened pencils in a pretty row.

Next word: neat

1 Like

“That’s neat, cadet.” The lieutenant paused in front of a door to let the sensor read his tattoo. When it opened, he looked at [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u], his smile somehow even bigger. “You can tell me all about it in here.”

Next: smile

1 Like

She snorted at him, “You’re always so downbeat, [name_m]Ernest[/name_m]. Don’t you ever smile? Laugh?”

Next word: snort

1 Like

[name_u]Jem[/name_u], the other person, snorted. “You don’t have to be married to have kids.”

Next: kids