The Teaser Game

“Mr. Marinos,” said [name_m]Ernest[/name_m]. He picked a stray piece of dryer lint out of his brown hair. ‘River and [name_f]Skyla[/name_f] must have done the laundry last night,’ he thought as he examined the lint, then disposed of it before continuing. “We’ll need the names of everyone who had contact with your wife. That includes your kids.” He got out a notepad to jot names down.

Next word: dispose

Quietly, [name_m]Lance[/name_m] rose to dispose of the trash, grumbling all the while.

Next: grumble

1 Like

“Your undergarments are filthy and unfit for anyone but an uncultured street urchin. You will wear the ones provided.”
Again, I felt her tone was more disdainful than it needed to be, and I certainly didn’t appreciate being called an uncultured street urchin, but I had to agree my clothes were dirty. The last time they, or I, for that matter, had anything close to a washing was over a month ago when I went swimming in the river.
“Fine, I’ll wear them.” I grumbled, kicking the immaculate white heap with a dirty toe. But I want my clothes back.”
“Miss, your clothes are going to be burned.”

next word: clothes

2 Likes

Once inside the cave, the guard hurriedly tossed Corliss’ clothing at her bare, muddy feet, “Put those on.”

“But they’re wet,” she complained.

“So are mine.”

Next: once

1 Like

The hunk of alos crystal made up for the dwindling rays of sun in the corner of the sky, filling the plaza with light. The light that would, with time and a skilled blacksmith, keep the spirit of human fear, instinct, and evil from committing any more atrocities on the mortal earth. The crystal would bind Isol to the mortal realm, and once they were strung up in chains, the war could finally be won.

Next: mortal

“To clarify… you’d like me to forgive you for wishing eternal damnation on my late father’s immortal soul?” The prince asked, stepping into the room.

“That’s about the gist of it, Your Highness.”

Next word: soul

1 Like

“I will not leave,” Illumi said, his blank eyes practically staring into Mito’s soul. “I was sent here to watch over Kill.”

Next word: practical

2 Likes

[name_m]Zac[/name_m] dumped his supplies on the desk. “Sometimes, I feel like if I weren’t here to practically babysit you, then you would end up killing yourself.”

Next: sometimes

2 Likes

As infuriating as it was to admit, [name_m]Orson[/name_m] was probably the one person on the planet that truly understood her. He was the first to put a name to the Darkness. Before him, [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] couldn’t much identify the overwhelming sensation of heaviness that sometimes took possession over her. What’s more-- [name_m]Orson[/name_m] didn’t fear the Darkness like her family did. With [name_m]Orson[/name_m] [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] could actually be… herself.

Next: probably

1 Like

I swallowed one bite of my pie and immediately gulped down half my glass of water.
“That’s disgusting!” I spat.
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] gaped at me.
“Seriously? He just told us we’re probably all about to die and all you care about is pie?”
“Well, the only imminent death I can focus on right now is mine from eating this awful pie. It’s probably poisoned. It tastes like a toad sat in it.” I groused, which earned me a slap on the back of the head from [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m].
[name_m]Lord[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] sighed heavily and made an exasperated face that I suspected was the closest a nobleman could get to rolling his eyes.

these paragraphs had two probablys together, so I had to :grin:

also the pie is poisoned

next word: clear

2 Likes

[name_u]Red[/name_u]. I aim for the blotch of color that looks red. The tip of the arrow is perfectly sharp when I look down, the edges pointedly clear, but when I search for the target beyond, it all fades into a distorted mess.
The arrow is lost to the blur of the distance when I release it, but I hear it clatter to the ground, too far away to even be near the target. [name_f]My[/name_f] eyes squeeze shut. [name_f]My[/name_f] weak, broken eyes. Disappointment courses through me.
“Worthless,” my aunt mutters.

Next: beyond

“Thanks,” [name_f]Laura[/name_f] said as she brushed herself off. She smiled when [name_u]Ash[/name_u] handed the small cake back to her. “You really saved me there. And you saved little Ava’s birthday.”

“No problem,” [name_u]Ash[/name_u] replied, and looked in the direction [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] ran. Then he looked at [name_f]Laura[/name_f], confused. “What did [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] want with that cake, anyway?”

“No idea,” [name_f]Laura[/name_f] said and shook her head. “What that jerk would do with a one-year-old’s birthday cake is beyond me.” She turned to walk in the other direction, then stopped and excitedly whirled back to [name_u]Ash[/name_u], as if remembering something. “Oh! I almost forgot. [name_u]Halo[/name_u] night, my place. [name_m]Friday[/name_m] at 8. Bring some people with you. And don’t worry; I’ve got the place to myself then.”

“Sure, I’ll be there,” [name_u]Ash[/name_u] said. “Just out of curiosity, what happened to your friends from school?”

[name_f]Laura[/name_f] sighed dramatically and facepalmed. “They decided they have more important things to do than [name_u]Halo[/name_u] night.”

Next word: dramatic

Who poisoned the pie?!?

[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] rolled her eyes dramatically, and he felt the terrible pangs in his hearts start up again.

Next: again

[name_f]Rowenna[/name_f], one of the household servants who joins up with [name_u]Asher[/name_u] (another of the four orphans) and tries to get him chosen to become king…sorry I know that’s confusing :grin:

2 Likes

The musicians started playing again, a bright melody that carried the air of a warm summer breeze. I followed Cassian’s instructions the best I could, but still ended up stepping on his toes a few times. The steps came easier than the lesson at Raven’s Point, but I was still uncoordinated and stiff, while [name_m]Cassian[/name_m] seemed to glide effortlessly across the floor with graceful, flawless movements.

next word: flawless

“Hello, Quincy,” she greeted with a smile, but it didn’t quite reach her eyes. [name_f]Adella[/name_f] [name_m]Atkinson[/name_m] somehow managed to look flawless—even though she was under house arrest— with her strawberry blonde ringlets and gray eyes. All the way down to the silver handcuffs that adorned her wrists.

next: handcuffs

1 Like

“She’s awake!” He called, walking over to me. “Take her to the captain,” he commanded through the bars, smirking unsettlingly as three more guards rushed in.
After the door was opened, one guard seized my collar and another unchained me from the wall, immediately rebinding my hands in another pair of handcuffs. The first guard roughly jerked me to my feet and led me out of the dark cell and up a small set of stairs.

next word: smirk

2 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] smirk widens. Under the reign of my emperors, even a dubious glance would earn punishment. [name_u]Freedom[/name_u] in democracy, indeed.

Next: punishment

1 Like

“This is utter torture, completely inhumane. A cruel and unusual punishment!”

Next word: unusual

1 Like