The Teaser Game

“Jamie…”

“If there’s even a chance we could keep going, if there’s a chance this isn’t all for nothing, if there’s a chance we still maybe love each other, isn’t it worth trying?”

“There isn’t enough time.”

“Time? Screw time! Time doesn’t matter, isn’t that why we’re here?”

next: time

“I think that’s a little extreme,” [name_m]Romulus[/name_m] said, trying to keep it light-hearted. It really made things worse, hearing the way he choked on the words. “Whole on, like, tell me this tiny piece of information or my girlfriend’s little brother dies. [name_m]Calm[/name_m] down Olivier.”

Olivier’s finger twitched on the trigger, but the small distraction gave [name_u]Noa[/name_u] enough time to think, allowed her to briefly clear her head.

next: distract

Then [name_u]Leo[/name_u] un-hugs himself from [name_u]Paris[/name_u] and takes off his white t-shirt and rips a long strip of it. [name_u]Leo[/name_u] wraps the longest strip around my right thigh, where I got shot.

I try to distract herself from my wrapped bleeding leg and Leo’s naked chest with muscles with the balcony’s view. I can see the beach. I can hear the waves crashing. But also all the screams. And Paris’s crying.

next: with

“I might find it easier to forgive you if he hadn’t taken you away. If you hadn’t gained so much from her loss. If you weren’t an arrogant, well-spoken little boy with no appreciation for home and no true understanding of the suffering you’ve caused.”
Her tone was gentle, but [name_m]Haldan[/name_m] felt himself recoiling. “I accidentally killed my mother, and I’ll never let myself forget it. You’re the one who doesn’t understand. I force myself to remember every day!”

Next: gentle

[name_f]Polina[/name_f] nodded, frowning. “Is he… Did he look okay?”
“He’s okay,” [name_u]Noa[/name_u] said, keeping her words gentle.

next: frown

Don’t frown so much, [name_u]Aidan[/name_u], Mum would say. You’ll end up with wrinkles.
I almost want to laugh now. I didn’t manage to live long enough for that.

Next: laugh

[name_u]Sage[/name_u] gave a dry laugh and nodded slowly. Was she checking Opal’s work? [name_m]Even[/name_m] so, it was above board. [name_f]Opal[/name_f] checked every relevant section of the Dissenters’ codes and the Accords before she started… and checked again five more times to be sure.
“Alright,” [name_u]Sage[/name_u] said. She sounded impressed. “So what did you do and why all the secrecy?”

Next: secret

[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] led [name_u]Noa[/name_u] and [name_f]Elske[/name_f] deeper into the complex, down halls and up stairs and down stairs again, through elevators and secret passages until they found themselves in a small—but tidy—office. There was a potted plant on the wooden table, among a sleek computer and a stylus.

next: plant

As if separated from her mind, Daisy’s body planted itself between [name_f]Samantha[/name_f] and the bathroom counter.
“NO!”
It was one of the looks that she’d never forget, Samantha’s face at that moment. It confessed something, a whisper of fear that let [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] know her assumption was 100% correct.

next: no

What was she called again? Something strange and wordy, like a painting title rather than a human’s name. [name_u]Palace[/name_u]? No, [name_m]Castle[/name_m]. [name_m]Cas[/name_m].

Next: name

“What’s your name?” He toyed with the wedding ring in his pocket. It was a dangerous choice, doing this with all the [name_u]Archer[/name_u] moms within earshot.
“July.” Her voice was low, a little raspy.
“July? Like the month?”
“Like the month,” she–July–said. “The literal names were pretty popular for girls of my generation.”

next: generation

“How wonderful of you to join us, Lucie.” For a second, I was confused – Us? – before she gestured through an open door. On the other side of the door was a table full of royalty; Daisie’s relatives. They turned to me and smiled. Generations of royalty, all staring at me. I made a mocking face and turned back to [name_f]Daisie[/name_f], who was now standing beside me.

next: relative

“I was relatively fine before you came around.”
“Content?”
“Content.”
“Complacent?”
“Compla-” [name_f]Laura[/name_f] let the end of the word fade away. The next ones were soft. “That was a long time ago, Felix.”

next: away

“Just glad to see you, that’s all,” [name_f]Elske[/name_f] said. [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] smoothed her thumb over Elske’s cheek.

“Yeah, me too.” There was a moment where [name_f]Elske[/name_f] could almost read something in her face—hidden along the tension in her cheeks, the crinkle around her eyes—but it was fleeting, and her big sister was back to business after that fraction of a second. She pulled away from [name_f]Elske[/name_f], frowning. “All right, what do you have set up?”

next: eye

“Please,” he said, “if you see her…” His eyes were wide, pleading.
“Aubrey, I…”
“She’s not gone. I know… I know her. Please.”

Next: please

“You shouldn’t be so eager to please people, new kid,” the girl snapped, leaping off the wall and disappearing around a corner before I even had a chance to open my mouth.

The chickens followed her.

Next: eager

[name_m]Pascal[/name_m] was tall, maybe 6’5’’, with an equally long face and spindly legs. His dark, shaggy hair was often tied back in that oh-so very [name_u]French[/name_u] way, highlighting not-unfortunate bone structure and the whisper of a beard. He had lovely, round brown eyes and soft lips that parted into a crooked, eager smile whenever he saw [name_f]Laura[/name_f] coming.

next: whisper

“We found her,” [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] said, her voice barely a whisper.
“What do you mean? What the hell is going on?” When [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] didn’t answer, [name_f]Elske[/name_f] took her by the shoulders and shook her. “Answer me.”
“She’s… she’s unconscious. They found her a few miles from here. I don’t even know why she’s here or what happened.” [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] looked like she was about to cry. “I have no idea what’s going on.”

next: happen

The hilt of the knife pushed against her palm. She sliced the screen big enough so she could fit, then hesitated until her body told her that the release hadn’t happened.

Next: hesitate

[name_u]Tama[/name_u] hesitated, as shocked as she was that she had focused on that part of the clause. “After you left Panarea and [name_f]Bianca[/name_f] came to [name_m]Wellington[/name_m], she was obsessed with following along with your life on Facebook. She knew about your husb–sorry, ex-husband–through that, I think.”

next: obsess(ed)