The things we name

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you ever give names to things most people wouldn’t?

I name my clothes. I keep a list of the names and sometimes even write them on the hangers. For example, my dresses are called [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] [name_f]Virginia[/name_f], [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] [name_f]Aravis[/name_f], [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [name_f]Hermione[/name_f], [name_f]Ethel[/name_f] Cedrelle and [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] [name_f]Aurélie[/name_f].

I love doing this because it allows me to use so many of the names I love, including GPs. It also creates a stronger bond between me and the garments which is important in the time of fast fashion and throwaway culture. I’m really trying to focus on quality before quantity and timeless, versatile staples.

2 Likes

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I’ve never thought of naming my clothes! That might just be too much work, but I’m envious of your devotion & they’re names are all so elegant. :blush:

I named my car (& dh’s car!), which I guess is ‘normal’-ish . [name_f]My[/name_f] car is [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Yusef[/name_m] & Dh’s is [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_f]Sofie[/name_f] ‘Cleo’.

I named a couple of laptops: [name_u]Atlas[/name_u], [name_m]Maximus[/name_m], [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] & [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f]. I feel like they’re themed, though it wasn’t intentional.

I think that might be it, other than stuffed animals, but that feels pretty common. :slight_smile:

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] car is [name_f]Cindy[/name_f]! It seems to be common among the non-namenerds in my life to name their cars too — my friends have [name_f]Janice[/name_f], [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f], and [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I also name my plants, which seems a bit typical as well. So far I’ve had [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], [name_f]Helena[/name_f], [name_f]Suzy[/name_f], [name_f]Cecile[/name_f], [name_u]Basil[/name_u], and [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]!

1 Like

I’ve named my phone Brittany, and my plant Floof

1 Like

I have named my electronics my laptop is Abhlach which means ‘apple orchard’ (you can guess which brand of laptop it is) my phone is named Clíodhna for no particular reason and my headphones are named Líadan which means ‘grey lady’ because they’re silver.

We have a pillow with a cat on it that dh named [name_u]Cecil[/name_u].

3 Likes

my phone’s willoughby and my laptop’s isolda :).

~willie and zol~

1 Like

I named by dressform Donna.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] [name_f]Aurélie[/name_f], and the idea of naming your clothes. There are two holes in the walls of my house that look like faces, and I have named them Saturninus and [name_f]Tilda[/name_f].

2 Likes

I named my first phone Etaina

2 Likes

Only my cars. [name_f]My[/name_f] first car was named [name_m]Watson[/name_m] (after the character in [name_m]Sherlock[/name_m] Holmes); my current car is named [name_f]Evie[/name_f]. :blush:

1 Like

I had a Mexican ghost plant named [name_m]Hubert[/name_m] [name_m]Juan[/name_m] and a succulent of unknown species named [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]. When they were put in the same pot, they became Hubevieve (they have since passed on… I’m not the best plant caretaker). I have a [name_m]Zanzibar[/name_m] aloe right now named [name_u]Billy[/name_u] [name_m]Joel[/name_m] (get it? :upside_down_face:). Other than plants and stuffed animals, I don’t really named anything else. Except the skeleton dog decoration in my living room, [name_m]Rodney[/name_m].

1 Like