The Trouble with Delaney.

S/O and I really like the name [name_u]Delaney[/name_u], but instinctively, when we first saw it, we pronounced it as [name_u]Del[/name_u]-ann-ee. He says that can be fixed by adding an I after the A, and making it [name_u]Delainey[/name_u], if we would rather have the proper pronunciation.

My biggest issue with my own name is that the pronunciation doesnt seem to be clear with the spelling, and that my spelling is one letter off from the other two most popular spelling variants. I always felt that if my parents had at least chosen an outlandish spelling like [name_f]Hayleigh[/name_f], it would have been confused less often.

So two questions;

A) Is pronouncing [name_u]Delaney[/name_u] as [name_u]Del[/name_u]-ann-ee acceptable?

B) If no, is spelling it as [name_u]Delainey[/name_u] acceptable? [name_m]Will[/name_m] she have the same problems I have with my own name?

Thanks!

I think it would cause a LOT of confusion to pronounce [name_u]Delaney[/name_u] as del-ann-ee.

Spelling it as [name_u]Delainey[/name_u] makes me want to pronounce it de-[name_u]LAINE[/name_u]-ee even more than the original spelling.

I have taught 4 Delaneys and none of them pronounced it dell-ann-ee and I would never think to pronounce it that way.

[name_u]Delainey[/name_u] would definitely guarantee I pronounce it dell-lay-nee.

I think the only spelling that I would intuitive pronounce as dell-ann-ee would be: Delannie, which I don’t love visually.

[name_u]Delaney[/name_u] is and always has been de-[name_u]LANE[/name_u]-ee. I think any other pronounciation is going to be quite confusing. If your looking for an even more blatant spelling for the De-[name_u]LANE[/name_u]-ee pronounciation i would go with the [name_u]Delainey[/name_u] spelling

Well where I live, it rhymes with [name_f]Melanie[/name_f], so perhaps it’s regional.

Thanks everyone.