The True Popularity of Madeline

I keep hearing the name [name]Madeline[/name] everywhere I go (I’ll go crazy if I hear of another [name]Madelyn[/name] [name]Rose[/name]), but for some reason it doesn’t show up as very popular (well, at least as popular as I think it sounds) on the SSA list. Because it’s one of those names that can be spelled many ways, I decided to add up the amount of births for every variation of [name]Madeline[/name] in the top 1000.

What I discovered:

In 2008, there were at least 13492 babies named [name]Madeline[/name] or a variation of [name]Madeline[/name]. That currently puts the popularity of [name]Madeline[/name] to #9!

Good work, Justthinkin! :slight_smile: I had no idea that the combined spellings reached #9, but [name]Madeline[/name] has always felt incredibly popular to me because of its similarity to [name]Madison[/name].

Take care! :slight_smile:

Yes, I am also interested in the true popularity of [name]Lily[/name], but haven’t gone to the effort. [name]Lily[/name] is pretty popular on it’s own, but add the other spelling of [name]Lilly[/name], plus the names [name]Lillian[/name] and [name]Lilliana[/name] that often use [name]Lily[/name] as a nn and then the similar name [name]Lilia[/name] and I think it is [name]WAY[/name] more popular than one would at first assume.

I got thinking about [name]Lily[/name] so I decided to add it all up for you. You’re not going to believe this, but when you add up every [name]Lily[/name], [name]Lilian[/name], [name]Liliana[/name] and variant, there were 22925 (girls with a name similar to [name]Lily[/name]) in 2008! That’s more than [name]Emma[/name], putting [name]Lily[/name] at #1!

[name]Lily[/name] really? Wow! :frowning: I’m sure all the longer versions of [name]Lily[/name] are nn [name]Lily[/name] too.

Wow! Thanks for doing that! That’s even more popular than I was assuming.

The [name]Lily[/name] thing makes me sad! I love [name]Lily[/name]!

But I agree that I might puke if I meet another [name]Madeline[/name], [name]Madelyn[/name], [name]Madison[/name], [name]Madyson[/name], etc. I think every other person I meet has named their girl one of these…Its a cute name and everything…but there are sooo many more!

I’m also sad because I like the name [name]Matilda[/name] and it just happens to have the same nn…boo :frowning: