The WB Soap Opera Name Dilema!

If you care to take the time to read this and comment on this thread I want to thank you a thousand times. I’m sure it will get lengthy, but I think my hormones may have gotten to the best of me tonight. Although I am only 17 weeks along and I don’t yet know if I’m having a girl or a boy I am already terrified that I will bring home [name]Baby[/name] X from the hospital. I am having the hardest time finding a name that I like. They all seem so [name]Blase[/name]’ to me.

If you’ve seen my comments on other name threads before then you may have read about my problem with my daughter’s name, [name]Riley[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]. Before I was decided on her name I checked the SSA list for 2003 (the year before she was born) just to make sure that [name]Riley[/name] wasn’t crazy popular. Her name sat at #72 & was way more popular for boys. IT WAS PERFECT!

I remember after she born people would ask me her name only to respond’ “That name is so beautiful” Well, It must have been, because over the years there has been a HUGE [name]Baby[/name] Girl [name]Riley[/name] BOOM!

I understand that the name [name]Riley[/name] isn’t “my name” but I chose it special for my little girl & put a lot of effort into it. (as I’m sure all mommies do) My name is [name]Janet[/name]. I DESPISE MY NAME! I am adopted and my adoptive parents obviously had better naming skills than my biological parents because they named my younger sister, their first biological child, Kamberlyn and called her [name]Kami[/name] for short. I always thought her name was so unique, gorgeous and amazing. That’s why finding that “perfect” name for my daughter meant so much to me and now I feel as if I failed her (& myself) in the naming category.

My sons name is [name]Lucas[/name] [name]Sawyer[/name]. I first saw the name [name]Lucas[/name] in my baby name book, I highlighted it, but wasn’t dead set on it. It wasn’t until I was reading TV Guide for a write up of next weeks episode for my favorite show, One Tree [name]Hill[/name], did it hit me that I LOVED THE MAIN CHARACTERS NAME! “What about [name]Lucas[/name]” I yelled out to my hubby, he loved it, it was a done deal!

His middle name, [name]Sawyer[/name], was also highlighted in my baby name book. It was the best baby name book I have ever bought, Cool Names For [name]Baby[/name]'s. My husband and I both knew we liked the name [name]Sawyer[/name], but we were still unsure on weather or not to use it. It wasn’t until we discovered the show Lost did the name [name]Sawyer[/name] stick. ([name]Sawyer[/name] is a character on the show) Not only is [name]Sawyer[/name] a character from the show, Lost, but after I had [name]Lucas[/name] I reTalized that [name]Sawyer[/name] was also a main characters LAST name on One Tree [name]Hill[/name] the show where I (sort of) got the name [name]Lucas[/name].

The name [name]Sawyer[/name] has now become a unisex name! Not only does the show One Tree [name]Hill[/name] have a [name]Peyton[/name] [name]SAWYER[/name], but [name]Lucas[/name] & [name]Peyton[/name] had a baby GIRL (errrrr) together & named her [name]Sawyer[/name]! It now looks as if I totally jacked his name from the show & that annoys me because I didn’t!

For this baby, if it’s a girl I thought that maybe I’d keep tradition and use a unisex name that also serves as a surname. I want to pair it with a classic middle name So, after coming back to the name, [name]Quinn[/name], about 30,000X (I have love love loved this name for years!) I decided that it could work because it’s a surname & a unisex name + it flows nicely with [name]Riley[/name] & [name]Lucas[/name]!

Today, while confident on the name [name]Quinn[/name], I look up the show One Tree [name]Hill[/name] online to find out what they plan on doing for the next season. Guess what ladies?! They are bringing in a new character, A MAIN CHARACTER, and her name will be [name]Quinn[/name]! So, not only if I choose this name will I look like an incredibly obsessed One Tree [name]Hill[/name] fan, but this show has helped popularize names like [name]Peyton[/name] (girl!) and [name]Sawyer[/name] (girl)! With my luck [name]Quinn[/name] (which for a female on the SSA charts sits at like 500 something) will become more popular as well.

I know this was long, and may even sound ridiculous to some of you. (It is just a TV show, right?) However, I hate my name & this is something I am passionate about. (finding the PERFECT NAME for my children) What advice do any of you have for me?

Also, if you think I should go for the name [name]Quinn[/name] what do you think about:

[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name] Helmick
or
[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Emmeline[/name] Helmick
or
any other mn suggestions …

Thank you all again!
[name]Janet[/name]

[name]Hi[/name]. Congratulations. I don’t know how helpful I will be, but I just had to respond to your email because I have had those moments of hormonal influx where I drive myself crazy going around in circles in my head.

For what it’s worth, I love [name]Riley[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]Lucas[/name] [name]Sawyer[/name]. I think they go well together and I find them to be classic without being traditional. If you like surnames, then this is your naming style no matter what names come and go into vogue. And clearly, you have the same naming style as the writer on One Tree [name]Hill[/name]! That is an odd coincidence, but I wouldn’t let it change how you feel about the names. Ten years from now, most people won’t remember the names of the characters on One Tree [name]Hill[/name] and your child will have the name for a whole lifetime.

I also love [name]Quinn[/name] with [name]Riley[/name] and [name]Lucas[/name]. [name]Quinn[/name] [name]Mary[/name], [name]Quinn[/name] [name]Catherine[/name], [name]Quinn[/name] [name]Audrey[/name], etc. Definitely think you should stick with a traditional middle name to match [name]Elizabeth[/name].

Other names you might consider: [name]Delaney[/name] (g), [name]Sullivan[/name] (b), [name]Darcy[/name] (g or b), [name]Cooper[/name] (g or b), [name]Hayden[/name] (g or b … some people dislike double initials … you last name starts with H … but I love it!), [name]Rory[/name] (g).

Good luck!

here are some suggestions that are all out of the top 400 for girls:

[name]Drew[/name]
[name]Elliot[/name]
[name]Lane[/name] (although it is a WB name from [name]Gilmore[/name] more girls, but it’s so cool)
[name]Blair[/name] (ditto, Gossip Girl but it’s not even in the top 1,000 yet)
[name]Story[/name]
[name]Tierney[/name]
[name]True[/name]
[name]Sloane[/name]
[name]Campbell[/name]
[name]Skyler[/name]
[name]Devon[/name]
[name]Flynn[/name]
[name]Reed[/name]

My favorite of the bunch to go with [name]Riley[/name] and [name]Lucas[/name] would be [name]Sloane[/name] and [name]Elliot[/name]

Can I totally be the meanest person on earth and also point out that Peytons (One Tree [name]Hill[/name]) middle name is [name]Elizabeth[/name]? (sorry, I had too!) but with that said, your children have FABULOUS names!!! They are all names Im considering for my triplets.
I dont know how you will feel about this name, but [name]Finley[/name] came to mind when reading your post, I think it flows well with [name]Riley[/name] & [name]Lucas[/name], it like, [name]Sawyer[/name], is considered a unisex name.
I like the name [name]Quinn[/name], and think it would go really well with your other children… I am a fan of One Tree [name]Hill[/name], and [name]Brooke[/name] is a name I am considering for one of daughters. A TV show like OTH, or 90210, is that they always want popular “up and coming” names , because they want to start trends… and Im sure almos every name you come up with that flows with [name]Lucas[/name] & [name]Riley[/name] someone will be able to say “oh that was so & so’s name is ___” you know what I mean?
For me, when I read a name in a book, I cant htink “oh thats nice” but until you hear it over and over(like ona TV show) its hard to know if you like it, or will gte sick of it…
I dont know if any of this helps at all, just trying to give my thoughts… and here are some other names I think you may like…

[name]Porter[/name]
[name]Hadley[/name] (too me, this could be unisex)
[name]Shanna[/name]
[name]Dylan[/name] (unisex)
[name]Addison[/name]
[name]Alyssa[/name] (I looove the way [name]Riley[/name] & [name]Alyssa[/name] sound together!)
[name]Avery[/name]

good luck, and I cannot wait to hear the name you have chosen!

[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name]

[name]Arden[/name]
[name]Auden[/name]
[name]Blakeley[/name]
[name]Bronwyn[/name]
[name]Camden[/name]
[name]Darby[/name]
[name]Emery[/name]
[name]Ellery[/name]
[name]Kirby[/name]
[name]Linden[/name]
[name]Quincy[/name] (if you’re too worried about [name]Quinn[/name])
[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Sutton[/name]

For what it’s worth, I’ve never seen One Tree [name]Hill[/name], and I know I’m not alone! :slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

If you really like the name [name]Quinn[/name] then you should go for it; of all the possible objections to a name, the trendiness or the t.v. factor need not be deal-breakers. There’s always the possibility that the new t.v. [name]Quinn[/name] could become really popular and inspire many namesakes but you would be ahead of the curve on that one, and it’s still unlikely to work out that way ("[name]Felicity[/name]" was a fairly popular show for a while, for example, and you still don’t see too many Felicitys around). The letter Q often isn’t preferred and most people aren’t choosing one-syllable names for their girls at this point in time, so if I were a betting gal, my money would be on the name [name]Quinn[/name] remaining fairly distinctive.

teabee makes some really good points. I’m another who has never seen the show… I don’t think you should worry about. If it’s the name you love, don’t let a TV show stop you!

I’ve only seen the show about 3 times and the only name I remember is [name]Peyton[/name] :slight_smile:
I think you’re good to go with [name]Quinn[/name]!

I think [name]Quinn[/name] works really well with your children’s names!

It may not be worth much, but I think your children’s names are beautiful and you shouldn’t feel that you failed in the least! I am sure they are precious and wonderful children that you treasure. [name]Don[/name]'t let yourself feel like you’ve done them a disservice just because a name you picked became popular or appeared on a show.

The same goes for [name]Quinn[/name]. If you love it, use it.

[name]Don[/name]'t drive yourself crazy tracking popularity and such. There’s no way to know for sure what will happen with a name. [name]Just[/name] try to enjoy your two children and this new little one growing inside of you.

Keep in mind: the child is by far more important than the name (and this is coming from someone obsessed with names too!). :slight_smile:

Best wishes to you and your family!

Thanks you all so much for your advice - EVERYONE WAS AWESOME! (& [name]Jill[/name] you are simply amazing! You comment on [name]EVERY[/name] POST!) Since I posted this thread I have found out I am having a little girl … I KNEW I WAS! LOL (A little sad though that I have to say goodbye to the boy name I had picked out; it was [name]Graham[/name] :frowning: )

I have decided that I am going to find 2+ names (first & middle) & then name her when I see her - but one name at a time. The first name I am working on is yes, [name]QUINN[/name]! I have decided that I don’t care about the TV Show & I love the name so I am going to use it.

At first I liked [name]Quinn[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name] - I scratched it though.

I now like:
[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Olivia[/name]-[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Sophia[/name]-[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Sophia[/name]

I also am now going to move over to the girl name board … Thanks everyone again for your help thus far!!!