The WriterBerries Thread

This thread is for anything about writing! [name_f]Share[/name_f] your story, get feedback, make new characters, receive advice, and meet new WriterBerries! Have fun! :blush:

7 Likes

Tag your friends from the Writers’ Corner! :blush:

Hi! I just thought I’d put something here to say hello to everyone who ends up joining this thread.

I do have one question that I could ask:

In my fantasy novel, it is required that an MC’s brother is executed (it pushes the plot forward). How can I have this happen without describing it in detail, but also having her in attendance?

1 Like

Maybe covering her eyes? Then you can just describe that she hears a buzz, and then she sees that he’s dead. Sorry if this is bad haha.

1 Like

Or you can just not make her close her eyes, but you only describe the sound and what she sees after. That could work!

1 Like

Oh, I was about to make a similar thread when I found this one! [name_m]Hi[/name_m]!

2 Likes

Hi!

Hi just generated as a baby name…

1 Like

:joy:

Does your MC know that that is what’s going to happen?

1 Like

Hello everyone!

1 Like

You could do what I’ve seen a lot of other novels do, and just be kind of vague about it. You could put something like:

Before she could comprehend what was happening, the executioner swung his axe. Her brother’s screams cut off suddenly, like an unfinished note. He was gone.

There’s tons of ways to indicate death without describing it too much. I happen to be very squeamish so I tend not to describe it too much, either. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Hello to everyone as well!

1 Like

I find having side burner projects as I call them is good for me! It allows me to keep actively working and have those creative juices flowing even when I need to take a break (be it to refresh or figure out the next plot point) from my other project. I’ll often find it easier to solve whatever had be stalled when I’m not putting pressure on myself to solve it before I can write anything else.

As for writer’s block, working off of random prompts can be helpful, or writing things between characters from your story that you don’t plan to include, but can help you learn how they react to different things and interact.

3 Likes

I can’t really say whether it’s a good idea or not. One the one hand, it can be useful to write something fresh so you have new ideas for your other project, or just to have some time away from it, but on the other hand, I generally find myself simply jumping from one thing to another. This year I’ve not written much at all because I’ve constantly been moving around my different projects.

My answer to writer’s block is worldbuilding, but it’s also my biggest downfall. I love worldbuilding as much as writing, if not even a smidgen more, and I get completely lost in it which means sometimes I don’t write anything for months because I’m too busy naming minor villages that are never even going to appear. [name_f]My[/name_f] other, honestly more useful idea, is to push through it. Write even when the writing itself is terrible, or journal so you’re writing without writing. Eventually you get through it, and you can look back at what you’ve written and decide if it’s good enough.

2 Likes

Do any of you have a list of names for future characters? I just made a name bank for writing :relaxed:

6 Likes

Yes, I do! In fact, I have an entire set cast of characters with names and backstories ready is the situation warrants— it was a project I did a few years ago and have kept it on my back pocket ever since.

4 Likes

I’ve finally figured out my new story ideas! I’ve had so many but these two actually make me excited to write, so I think they’re the ones. How’s it going for everyone else? Make any progress or new discoveries with your projects?

4 Likes

I have been working on planning character personalities and such, and with this triplet set (I love their names together! [name_m]Clarence[/name_m] [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f], [name_m]Grant[/name_m] [name_u]Declan[/name_u], and [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f] Andison!), each of their personalities reminded me of something, giving me a great title! For now, at least. And the title, without further ado, is…
Pearls, Diamonds, and Daggers.

6 Likes

Yes! After a debate (with myself) that has lasted LITERALLY YEARS I figured out what the final allegory in my story is going to be!

3 Likes